Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Neymar sent off for diving

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He didn't say they make the rules, he said they make the decisions. Subjective laws are all 'in the opinion of the referee', meaning that it is the referee who makes the decision and why VAR can only advise to look again on subjective calls.
He didn't say they make the rules, he said they make the decisions. Subjective laws are all 'in the opinion of the referee', meaning that it is the referee who makes the decision and why VAR can only advise to look again on subjective calls.
Refs aren’t allowed to book the player for diving unless they have seen it themselves ie not as a result of VAR. Refs did not make this rule so it’s lose lose for them as their authority is undermined and VAR proponents can continue with the anti ref bitterness.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Neymar is such a tosser.

An overrated, penalty bottling cheat. I wish he'd f*** off back to Brazil.
Neymar wasn't playing in that particular game, but you still might find this tickles your fancy...

Screenshot_2022-12-09-19-07-13-916_com.android.chrome.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s an unusual take on it. The refs don’t make the rules.
They apply the rules but they invent the rubric for doing so. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

I have been involved in scientific peer review and have seen how a combination of ambiguous rules and a weak rubric can lead to the proliferation of false findings. The key element is the rubric. It is no value to have a rubric that allows certain 'stakeholders' to game the system. In my research area rubrics are invented that use language like 'it is expected that' and 'where possible' this or that rule should be followed. The more badly written the rule (and you should take a look at the written rules of football - appalling in places) the more scope there is for those who are supposed to implement the rule to come up with a rubric that suits their interest first and foremost.

Referees invent rubrics that suit themselves first. I can't really blame them because all people reach for what they think serves their best interest, when given the opportunity. They can claim that what makes it easier for them makes it better for the game, too. But what suits refs most is maintaining their inviolate position as the match official in charge of the match. This means they have worked to create a rubric for VAR that minimizes its use so as to ensure the power to make a decision stays with the official in the black on the pitch.

As it happens, I think that VAR works well enough now. I have posted suggestions for improvements elsewhere and won't repeat myself today. I'm glad the ref yellow carded Neymar before the VAR check. Good rubric.

Here is a question that I should know the answer to but have confused myself over, perhaps because of a rubric change: If a player commits a foul that should result in a red card, will the referee be asked to look at the incident on a screen if he erroneously gives no card, erroneously gives a yellow card, or either? I have seen yellows upgraded to reds recently, but I am not sure how it can be deemed that it can be a clear and obvious error if a ref gives a yellow when a red would have been more appropriate. Or indeed the other way round. When it comes to handballs and fouls in the box, when it might be a matter of opinion, VAR is no longer asking refs to reconsider in most cases, and we have seen fouls and handball given or not given, with VAR not intruding either way, recently. So does this mean that if the issue is one of serious foul play anywhere on the pitch, the rubric is to reach for VAR to ensure a correct decision but, if the issue is not one of serious foul play, merely a trip in the box or handball, VAR normally keeps its nose out of it now? I find it hard to keep up with it all. It doesn't help when Johnny Pundit comes out with stuff like "it wasn't a penalty" when they mean "it was a penalty because we just saw it taken, but it shouldn't of been given". I'm probably overthinking this but I seem to be on a turbo Aspergers rush this week :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Refs aren’t allowed to book the player for diving unless they have seen it themselves ie not as a result of VAR. Refs did not make this rule so it’s lose lose for them as their authority is undermined and VAR proponents can continue with the anti ref bitterness.
That doesn't really make sense. If the ref's didn't make the rule that they can't review yellow cards, how is them not being able to review yellow cards allowing VAR proponents to continue attacking them? Surely that is a criticism for whoever did make the rule?

Having said that, I'm not sure you're right about the refs not making the decision. PGMOL are a powerful body who work with the Premier League on VAR and it's implementation. Som would have had a big say in how it gets used.

Beyond that, this same argument (the unfairness of something that can be seen by VAR but isn't allowed to be reviewed) is also used by people opposed to VAR to continue their anti-VAR bitterness.

There has always been anti-ref bitterness. I doubt VAR has really impacted the attitude toward refs.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They apply the rules but they invent the rubric for doing so. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

I have been involved in scientific peer review and have seen how a combination of ambiguous rules and a weak rubric can lead to the proliferation of false findings. The key element is the rubric. It is no value to have a rubric that allows certain 'stakeholders' to game the system. In my research area rubrics are invented that use language like 'it is expected that' and 'where possible' this or that rule should be followed. The more badly written the rule (and you should take a look at the written rules of football - appalling in places) the more scope there is for those who are supposed to implement the rule to come up with a rubric that suits their interest first and foremost.

Referees invent rubrics that suit themselves first. I can't really blame them because all people reach for what they think serves their best interest, when given the opportunity. They can claim that what makes it easier for them makes it better for the game, too. But what suits refs most is maintaining their inviolate position as the match official in charge of the match. This means they have worked to create a rubric for VAR that minimizes its use so as to ensure the power to make a decision stays with the official in the black on the pitch.

As it happens, I think that VAR works well enough now. I have posted suggestions for improvements elsewhere and won't repeat myself today. I'm glad the ref yellow carded Neymar before the VAR check. Good rubric.

Here is a question that I should know the answer to but have confused myself over, perhaps because of a rubric change: If a player commits a foul that should result in a red card, will the referee be asked to look at the incident on a screen if he erroneously gives no card, erroneously gives a yellow card, or either? I have seen yellows upgraded to reds recently, but I am not sure how it can be deemed that it can be a clear and obvious error if a ref gives a yellow when a red would have been more appropriate. Or indeed the other way round. When it comes to handballs and fouls in the box, when it might be a matter of opinion, VAR is no longer asking refs to reconsider in most cases, and we have seen fouls and handball given or not given, with VAR not intruding either way, recently. So does this mean that if the issue is one of serious foul play anywhere on the pitch, the rubric is to reach for VAR to ensure a correct decision but, if the issue is not one of serious foul play, merely a trip in the box or handball, VAR normally keeps its nose out of it now? I find it hard to keep up with it all. It doesn't help when Johnny Pundit comes out with stuff like "it wasn't a penalty" when they mean "it was a penalty because we just saw it taken, but it shouldn't of been given". I'm probably overthinking this but I seem to be on a turbo Aspergers rush this week :lolol:
Valid questions and rule changes seem so frequent these days that nobody seems to be able to keep up with it, including players, fans and pundits. Like many people I don’t know what handball is any more. I’m kind of hoping that refs and VAR refs do ! On the VAR debate we have discussed many times. I don’t think either of us is inclined to change our opinion :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To explain the somewhat weird nature of VAR cards:
If the ref gives a yellow but it should be a red according to the rule book, they might make him upgrade it.
If the ref gives a red but VAR finds it a bit too much, he can downgrade it to a yellow or just remove it.
If the ref gives no card at all, but VAR thinks its a red, he can upgrade it to a red, but he can not give a yellow even if that would be right call.

It does not make a shitload of sense but that is how it is.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A while ago James Maddison was sent off for Leicester against us at the AMEX, having been booked shortly before, when he “anticipated contact” from Shane Duffy in the penalty area. Duffy was probably a good yard away. I did laugh!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neymar is such a cock, and isnt anywhere near the level of player he thinks he is.
He is a vocal supporter of that pillock who lost the general election in Brazil a while back and has been sending his equivalent of Proud Boys out (wearing Brazil football shirts) to agitate against the 'steal'. Hence the proliferation of the alternative green and yellow hooped shirt in Qatar in protest. :bowdown:

1672312526969.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To explain the somewhat weird nature of VAR cards:
If the ref gives a yellow but it should be a red according to the rule book, they might make him upgrade it.
If the ref gives a red but VAR finds it a bit too much, he can downgrade it to a yellow or just remove it.
If the ref gives no card at all, but VAR thinks its a red, he can upgrade it to a red, but he can not give a yellow even if that would be right call.

It does not make a shitload of sense but that is how it is.
That's it. That's the weird old bollocks I was thinking about in my long ramble above. You have a credibly forensic mind :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just makes me want to repeat what I said during the World Cup. The Premier League refereeing interpretations are not all that, especially when it comes to contact in the area. It wasn't a game changer but I am not sure where else in the world, Pascal Gross would have been deemed to have conceded a penalty as per in the Southampton game? We all know it was going to be given, there is no problem with the consistent implementation of the law, but it is an absolute load of old bollocks.

Back to the point. The rewards for cheating are too high and the consequences are applied far too infrequently for my liking.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

rool

Jul 10, 2003
He is a vocal supporter of that pillock who lost the general election in Brazil a while back and has been sending his equivalent of Proud Boys out (wearing Brazil football shirts) to agitate against the 'steal'. Hence the proliferation of the alternative green and yellow hooped shirt in Qatar in protest. :bowdown:

View attachment 155138
A lot of people here are also buying and wearing the blue shirt as they don't want to be associated with Bolsonaro.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
. Hence the proliferation of the alternative green and yellow hooped shirt in Qatar in protest
It’s the canarinho that has the newly appropriated far right political affiliation with Bolsonaristas - ie the famous traditional colours of green and yellow (worn by the likes of Pele etc) I understood the majority of Brazilians supported da Silva not Bolsonaro (as did most of the WC team.) but could be wrong. Groups of protesters against da Silva’s victory certainly took to wearing the canarinho in Brazil. But in Qatar?

Brazil played in their blue and white away strip for the Qatar matches so I thought the supporters were wearing the canarinho because a/ it was a nod to Pele (being seriously ill b/ because the majority did not want to or could not afford to buy an away shirt not because they were protesting agains Da Silva not winning the election?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s the canarinho that has the newly appropriated far right political affiliation with Bolsonaristas - ie the famous traditional colours of green and yellow (worn by the likes of Pele etc) I understood the majority of Brazilians supported da Silva not Bolsonaro (as did most of the WC team.) but could be wrong. Groups of protesters against da Silva’s victory certainly took to wearing the canarinho in Brazil. But in Qatar?

Brazil played in their blue and white away strip for the Qatar matches so I thought the supporters were wearing the canarinho because a/ it was a nod to Pele (being seriously ill b/ because the majority did not want to or could not afford to buy an away shirt not because they were protesting agains Da Silva not winning the election?
Have I got the wrong end of the stick again? I thought that Bolsonaristas had hijacked the yellow shirts (with green trim) not the green and yellow hoops. I have never seen yellow and green hoops before. On average during the WC it seemed that half the supporters were wearing plain yellow shirts with green trim and half were wearing green and yellow hoops.

From the Washington Post:

“I have a yellow shirt. I used to wear it,” Monteiro said, but “man, it’s very difficult [now]. The way they appropriated the shirt. It’s embarrassing to wear it. It’s become the symbol of the Brazilian extreme right.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here