Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
But I imagine in those same industries, when the individual is hired, they don't bring 4 people with them to start with.

When I left Sheffield University for a "competitor" university 20 years ago, I took four of my staff with me. It's quite common for people to take their key staff with them in my line of work, and for couples to leave at the same time,

Some exciting prospects for a new manager and, probably, some of their coaching staff. I think we have interesting times ahead. It's a bit like when Micky Adams came in, just the other end of the league. Still think it was more fun in the lower leagues.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
please not Nathan Jones just doesn't have anywhere nr enough experience, TBH I would rather have Glenn Murray (not that I beeive he is even looking to get into management)
Nathan Jones has a lot of experience a lot more than Andrew crofts & Adam lanlanla.well over 200 games as a manager whether he is good enough is another matter

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Nathan Jones has a lot of experience a lot more than Andrew crofts & Adam lanlanla.well over 200 games as a manager whether he is good enough is another matter

488 career appearances as a player & took little Luton to 6 th in the championship last season & into the playoffs with a bottom 8 budget.the man has plenty of experience+ young + ambitious

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
They're following the Betfair exchange almost certainly. A copy and paste of what I wrote on this thread - https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?396552-Roberto-De-Zerbi#post10391018

A bit of money for him on the Betfair exchange, making him the current favourite. A very thin market though - https://www.betfair.com/exchange/pl...fKQXYpWxw/AkOYiSC1XdexFjMnqOkKRRn20n6v4AusuCR

View attachment 151887

Probably attracted some betting interest after this article: https://www.calciomercato.com/news/brighton-de-zerbi-il-futuro-e-aperto-71952

"Among the names at the top of the Brighton wish list is also that of Roberto De Zerbi, with whom there have been contacts in recent days. First approaches, which have not yet led to an agreement"​

The Betfair exchange will tell a better story about market sentiment than the conventional bookies. If someone had insider information and wanted to make a quick buck, they'd struggle to get more than £20 on at a bookie whereas at Betfair they will be able to get more on.
Unlikely that article moved anything as even the argus was reporting the same thing on Sunday. That article is actually more negative in the sense there's been no follow up ....

Sunday's news .....

Michele Criscitiello, chief executive of SportItalia and a long-time friend De Zerbi, said there had been initial communication between Albion and the coach and expects further contact early this week.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
What I don’t understand is this, we made a big point about a club that is very focused on succession planning and being prepared. If that was genuinely true it means you have one or two names you immediately contact and offer an interview to (as we did with Potter replacing Hughton). If they say no, or the interview is poor you have two more immediately ready to go. Maybe TB/PB are doing an amazing job at stopping leaks but it certainly it doesn’t feel we really did have a tangible plan.

As sickening as it was, Chelsea fired their manager and had a new one in place within a few days, with a couple of back ups lined up for conversation by all accounts

We are nearly 10 days on from our manger leaving and nothing concrete seems to be happening. I maybe completely wide of the mark but the one thing that’s rarely wrong is the bookies odds and they clearly don’t indicate a strong contender or two.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The day the Queen dies, we lose our manager. The day she's buried, we get a new one. It's got a nice symmetry to it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Unlikely that article moved anything as even the argus was reporting the same thing on Sunday. That article is actually more negative in the sense there's been no follow up ....

Sunday's news .....

Michele Criscitiello, chief executive of SportItalia and a long-time friend De Zerbi, said there had been initial communication between Albion and the coach and expects further contact early this week.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago. Perhaps this is the one…

https://twitter.com/mcriscitiello/status/1570822783772532739?s=46&t=8UKRI8218KLq1sFTiodMzA

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For some reason that I can’t put my finger on, I’m less excited by de zerbi vs others. He does seem very keen to come which I guess is a good thing.

Also, we paid £3m for Potter. He is unattached. We won’t be ****ing another club or spending precious financial resource to bring him in. Whilst those two factors obviously shouldn’t be in our ‘top ten criteria to appoint a new manager’ list, they are nether the less valid.

My issue is the defensive frailties of his teams but many of our defensive players have gone through some horrific experiences against the Big Six in Potter’s first two seasons. The likes of Dunk, Veltman, Webster and Sanchez have learned those defensive lessons. This guy just needs plans ‘b-z’ as under Potter, we’d lump it forward all game if that was the selected tactic against a particular team. Can De Zerbi mix his tactics and formations to get the win (I’m not so sure Potter was that good at it when he joined but he was unsurpassed at that strategy by the time he walked out).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Owen says “nothing imminent” mind.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/21874843.de-zerbi-claimed-leading-race-brighton-job/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what does ‘imminent’ mean……….I’d imagine another week maybe…….can see Bloom/Barbs having got through a handful of interviews already (probably remotely, at least for some) over the last few days, and now looking at having another session with a smaller number (2-3 max) candidates face-to-face (including tour of the facilities etc) over the next 2-3 days, then a day or two of deliberation and contract negotiation with someone confirmed by this time next week. No hurry……….as one of my old CEOs once said, ‘better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team’

DavePage

But what does ‘imminent’ mean……….I’d imagine another week maybe…….can see Bloom/Barbs having got through a handful of interviews already (probably remotely, at least for some) over the last few days, and now looking at having another session with a smaller number (2-3 max) candidates face-to-face (including tour of the facilities etc) over the next 2-3 days, then a day or two of deliberation and contract negotiation with someone confirmed by this time next week. No hurry……….as one of my old CEOs once said, ‘better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team’

Tuesday maybe, not wanting to look disrespectful

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Also, we paid £3m for Potter. He is unattached. We won’t be ****ing another club or spending precious financial resource to bring him in. Whilst those two factors obviously shouldn’t be in our ‘top ten criteria to appoint a new manager’ list, they are nether the less valid.

My issue is the defensive frailties of his teams but many of our defensive players have gone through some horrific experiences against the Big Six in Potter’s first two seasons. The likes of Dunk, Veltman, Webster and Sanchez have learned those defensive lessons. This guy just needs plans ‘b-z’ as under Potter, we’d lump it forward all game if that was the selected tactic against a particular team. Can De Zerbi mix his tactics and formations to get the win (I’m not so sure Potter was that good at it when he joined but he was unsurpassed at that strategy by the time he walked out).

I agree with large parts of this, but mainly want somebody to reassure me that this isn't how nevertheless is meant to be spelt.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
What I don’t understand is this, we made a big point about a club that is very focused on succession planning and being prepared. If that was genuinely true it means you have one or two names you immediately contact and offer an interview to (as we did with Potter replacing Hughton). If they say no, or the interview is poor you have two more immediately ready to go. Maybe TB/PB are doing an amazing job at stopping leaks but it certainly it doesn’t feel we really did have a tangible plan.

As sickening as it was, Chelsea fired their manager and had a new one in place within a few days, with a couple of back ups lined up for conversation by all accounts

We are nearly 10 days on from our manger leaving and nothing concrete seems to be happening. I maybe completely wide of the mark but the one thing that’s rarely wrong is the bookies odds and they clearly don’t indicate a strong contender or two.
Chelsea planned to sack their manager and probably identified Potter as Tuchel replacement weeks beforehand he was eventually sacked.

We didn't know Potter was likely to be pinched at the earliest when Tuchel was gone.

One was planned, the other was a reaction.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here