Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Like (I suspect) most people I know very little about the managers that have allegedly been lined up. All I know is what I’ve seen on the internet and de Zerbi’s record, in that respect, worries the hell out of me. He doesn’t stay very long anywhere either as a player or as a manager and that says- to me- that he’s a trouble maker. I want stability for the Albion and this guy doesn’t seem to provide that. Personally I think that if we could get an agreement with Knutsen to sign him at the end of the Norwegian season I’d be happy to wait until then. Crofts and Lallana can steady the ship till the World Cup comes around.

The more I read the more this SCREAMS Watford, with a dash of Poyet ... surely this ‘noise’ is agent generated - unless Pep has out a good word in... ?

It’d be a strange appointment for me... hey ho, time will deliver the answers... maybe we’ll turn out to be a good fit for him :/

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The more I read the more this SCREAMS Watford, with a dash of Poyet ... surely this ‘noise’ is agent generated - unless Pep has out a good word in... ?

It’d be a strange appointment for me... hey ho, time will deliver the answers... maybe we’ll turn out to be a good fit for him :/

Club or sources close to the club haven’t denied he’s on their shortlist or that initial talks might have happened. They’ve just expressed caution “it’s not imminent” at implication it’s a done deal. So I guess wrong to just say this is all “agent generated” , tho that exists - there’s clearly Albion interest.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Club or sources close to the club haven’t denied he’s on their shortlist or that initial talks might have happened. They’ve just expressed caution “it’s not imminent” at implication it’s a done deal. So I guess wrong to just say this is all “agent generated” , tho that exists - there’s clearly Albion interest.

And your feelings around this one ? a good fit for the club tactically - perhaps, it would appear ... as an individual? That’s where I’m a little uneasy ... a stark contrast to the safe hands of Potter, Hughton and Garcia - far more Poyet ... can that work with TB ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And your feelings around this one, a good fit for the club tactically - perhaps, it would appear ... as an individual? That’s where I’m a little uneasy ... a stark contrast to the safe hands of Potter, Hughton and Garcia - far more Poyet ... can that work with TB ?
I think that him not leaving Ukraine until his players were safe and supposedly turning down Bournemouth because of the Russian ownership count as massive positives when assessing him as an individual.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think that him not leaving Ukraine until his players were safe and supposedly turning down Bournemouth because of the Russian ownership count as massive positives when assessing him as an individual.

A good point - I’m just hoping he work well with PB and TB ... here’s hoping :) if indeed, he’s our man.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Poyet ? interesting.

Having too much time on my hands I decided to spend time watching his teams in YouTube, and look at things from a neutral, obviously layman, perspective.

It's Poyet Mark II, and Potter light.

Fixed formations, using the 4-2 to bring the ball out from the back. Compact but vulnerable diamonds. Lots of slowing and stopping, to you to me. A reluctance to put crosses in. Pretty football, but at times very unproductive. I could see us playing stronger sides and getting smashed on the break. They tended to cave within their structure when met with pace. Not sure where the attacking football came from (unless you consider the poorer opposition matches).

My worry was that in the Premier League they will be met with pace and physicality. It was a red flag. It was very Italian and quite defensive. But based around keeping the ball.

So it's a 'no' from me. That said, the key word is 'layman'. I'm not qualified to be a decision maker. I could be badly wrong, and hope to be so.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And your feelings around this one, a good fit for the club tactically - perhaps, it would appear ... as an individual? That’s where I’m a little uneasy ... a stark contrast to the safe hands of Potter, Hughton and Garcia - far more Poyet ... can that work with TB ?

And Barber and Weir who are going to be his key colleagues. He’s an impressive manager with wide European interest. No surprise club are looking but I’ve no idea if he will fit with our model people wise. His coaching pedigree seems aligned though - This is a good profile btw that I’ve not seen shared on here

https://theathletic.com/1927757/202...to-beat-the-press/?source=user_shared_article

7c64d22a0aab1db7ffe57b82af01dad6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

On the other hand I had a tenner on him back when you could get value for it. Ticks almost every box and is available without delay or compo. Get him in!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If De Zerbi really is on Juventus's radar then that is a huge plus. They have no trouble hiring elite managers and you think Tuchel or Poch will be other names on their list.

The immediate thing that worries me about De Zerbi is playing out from the back to draw the high press and using the keeper as a pivot. Sanchez has the passing skills but tends to dwell on the ball and has a reduced sense of urgency.

That said, we seem to have the squad with the skillset to make his style work. I just hope that he can pull that off in the faster, more physical Premier League.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If De Zerbi really is on Juventus's radar then that is a huge plus. They have no trouble hiring elite managers and you think Tuchel or Poch will be other names on their list.

The immediate thing that worries me about De Zerbi is playing out from the back to draw the high press and using the keeper as a pivot. Sanchez has the passing skills but tends to dwell on the ball and has a reduced sense of urgency.

That said, we seem to have the squad with the skillset to make his style work. I just hope that he can pull that off in the faster, more physical Premier League.

I think Juve is BS. Conte will go there.

Agree about passing style. Watched the tactics videos of his teams and it seems very Gus Poyet.

I also love the back 3 and this season has shown it suits our players and has resulted in fantastic performances.

The 4231 is well used admittedly, but possession for possession sake and defence first we've seen before. I hope he would be tactically fluid and not just try and show horn these players into a back 4 system.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He has also used a back three and Potter did use a back four at times too.
Any good coach will adapt.
What is reassuring is that we are looking at a coach that favours a high possession tactic as his main ploy. It’s only the last 15 or so games that we’ve gone a bit longer. Let’s not forget that Potter’s style was almost passing for passing sake until our upturn in results from the Arsenal away game in April. As fans, we have a recency bias since then.
I suppose that from a recruitment perspective I’d be asking questions about adaptability whilst sticking to principles.
We’ve also got accustomed to Potter’s deadpan response to the media which sucked us fans into thinking that he didn’t have ambition, which he clearly did have.
We’d need to judge whether he can handle the pressures of the media scrutiny or whether he’d go Poyet on us.
I still think Knutsen would be our first choice, but if he’s not available then we need to consider the next best alternative.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Poyet ? interesting.

Having too much time on my hands I decided to spend time watching his teams in YouTube, and look at things from a neutral, obviously layman, perspective.

It's Poyet Mark II, and Potter light.

Fixed formations, using the 4-2 to bring the ball out from the back. Compact but vulnerable diamonds. Lots of slowing and stopping, to you to me. A reluctance to put crosses in. Pretty football, but at times very unproductive. I could see us playing stronger sides and getting smashed on the break. They tended to cave within their structure when met with pace. Not sure where the attacking football came from (unless you consider the poorer opposition matches).

My worry was that in the Premier League they will be met with pace and physicality. It was a red flag. It was very Italian and quite defensive. But based around keeping the ball.

So it's a 'no' from me. That said, the key word is 'layman'. I'm not qualified to be a decision maker. I could be badly wrong, and hope to be so.

Top post - yes - none us are remotely qualified to comment beyond gut feeling territory, especially, in my case, based on the fact I hadn’t heard of De Zebri until last week :/

The Poyet is strong in this one.

Maybe Tony wishes to see a bit more, I dunno, emotion in our football club a bit more ‘madness’ - moving away from the very safe, very Graham errrmmm Graham.

Eeeeeep it’s going to be a fun few weeks.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As long as he new man isn't a Hyypia disaster then I'll be happy.
Gawd,... that's the season that finally did for my season ticket..... at the time, I couldn't anymore, face the 300 mile round trip for home games in the face of such drudgery....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely Son has sent Brendan Rodgers a ticket to be interviewed?

I think Rodgers is a decent manager but right now he looks in need of a rest - he looks a broken man. Leicester should put him out of his misery, he could take a sabbatical from football, ready to come back as a manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think Rodgers is a decent manager but right now he looks in need of a rest - he looks a broken man. Leicester should put him out of his misery, he could take a sabbatical from football, ready to come back as a manager.

While I agree, that leaves them (and PLB) competing with us for a manager. I'd rather we had the pick of the bunch than having to potentially enter an auction. That said, Bournemouth and Leicester both now seem to be suffering from previous over spending and suddenly we're probably more attractive.

But, from a purely human perspective, Rodgers needs a break now. LCFC stitched him up by not replacing Schmeichel. That defence doesn't trust Danny Ward and they're all over the shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here