[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve never worked in any industry where half a dozen key operational people have walked out en masse. I’ve experienced boards resigning - but in Potter’s case (of Todd’s doing) he did rip the Arse out of our entire senior coaching set up. The timing ****ing stinks.

Used to happen a lot in the insurance industry.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve never worked in any industry where half a dozen key operational people have walked out en masse. I’ve experienced boards resigning - but in Potter’s case (of Todd’s doing) he did rip the Arse out of our entire senior coaching set up. The timing ****ing stinks.

On the contrary, if it was going to happen, the timing couldn't have been better other than the last day of the season. We've got time to properly assess the candidates before our next game on 1st Oct.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Seen it more than once. Worst example was 3 (out of 5) senior relationship managers and their support teams all leaving at the same time for the same competitor from our flagship private banking office. We lost 60% of the business, and it turned a very profitable branch into a significant loss-making one. They were simply approached by the competitor and offered much higher salaries/bonuses, in the knowledge there was no way we would be able to match the terms.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
On the contrary, if it was going to happen, the timing couldn't have been better other than the last day of the season. We've got time to properly assess the candidates before our next game on 1st Oct.

Are you suggesting they timed it to correspond with the Queen's death? Are you suggest Todd assassinated the Queen so he could hire Graham Potter!!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any true supporter will be hurting, and for quite a period... people wholly motivated in their own lives by ££££ will doubtless give less of a shit, mainly because they value money over football.

Any true non-**** human will know that different humans react in different ways to different events and that it doesn't make them any more or less of a supporter.

Some people get irrational, rage and cry and to those I can imagine it is provoking that others remain calm and logical. What is the right or wrong emotional reaction is perhaps up for debate but it doesn't really impact on whether someone is - in this case - a supporter or not.

You expect people to be like you, or otherwise they're not as good supporters/humans as you. Not much to say about that attitude other than "each to their own".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
People are naive to express emotion during a match whilst supporting their club??? … if you can’t show emotion then what’s the point?

I was talking more about the level of involvement people have in football and the complete spectrum of emotions ('We're f'ing brilliant' to 'We're shite' in a matter of minutes, for example) that posters commit to print. You can show your emotions without doing it like that, for example!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Any true non-**** human will know that different humans react in different ways to different events and that it doesn't make them any more or less of a supporter.

Some people get irrational, rage and cry and to those I can imagine it is provoking that others remain calm and logical. What is the right or wrong emotional reaction is perhaps up for debate but it doesn't really impact on whether someone is - in this case - a supporter or not.

You expect people to be like you, or otherwise they're not as good supporters/humans as you. Not much to say about that attitude other than "each to their own".

Exactly... very logical.

Although, a lack of emotion suggests a lack of passion, which hints at a lack of giving much of a shit: win, lose or draw. All of which suggests a level of support that isn’t written in the heart, and for those poor sods, well, I seriously don’t no why they bother.

All of that said,

You go your way, I’ll go mine, best of luck with what you find.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Emotional entanglement, passion, blind faith - they are by definition irrational not naive ... as [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] has said if you aren’t up and down and sometimes irrational as a supporter - then you might as well be a laptop watching the game... analytical, cynical, logical...

This ‘meh’ reaction to GP and the back room being wrenched from the club is frankly incomprehensible.

Playing Chelsea now, is again odd - very odd and just feels wrong.

But I’m clearly an irrational thick naive madman, so I’ll leave it there.

Now - I am trying to remain calm and get over it, but when I see fans justifying this situation, which has unequivocally damaged the club, I’m at a loss as to why they’re so willing to ‘let it all go.’ It’s bizarre.

But that's the thing. It's not about watching the game. What happened was nothing to do with a football match – during which, obviously, emotions run high. It's about ongoing meltdowns/anger/bitterness towards people who have left their job for another job that has better opportunities and money. THAT, when you really think about it, is 'incomprehensible'.

I'm not saying you – or anyone else – is an 'irrational thick naive madman' – nor that you are 'wrong' to feel how you feel. I'm just offering a different point of view of the bigger picture and can't really understand how many fans are *that* surprised by it.

I struggle to be 'hurting' from the situation because a) I realised that it could have happened at any time b) have no issue with someone leaving their job for a better one and c) it's something that is completely out of my control – and is all done and dusted – so what's the point in feeling anything about it? They aren't my members of staff and it's not my business to run :shrug:

And HAS it damaged the club? Only time will tell, surely? The new manager and team might end up doing better than the previous regime would've done. Plus, the lot of them leaving has got TB £20+m!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I have. Seen it many times in publishing where an editor and sales team have left to start up new publications, exhibitions or ventures. And guess what? Those businesses left behind have been able to adapt, recruit and reorganise to ensure damage limitation.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seen it more than once. Worst example was 3 (out of 5) senior relationship managers and their support teams all leaving at the same time for the same competitor from our flagship private banking office. We lost 60% of the business, and it turned a very profitable branch into a significant loss-making one. They were simply approached by the competitor and offered much higher salaries/bonuses, in the knowledge there was no way we would be able to match the terms.

I hope you booed them when you saw them again and wrote notes telling them to 'Rot in hell'. If not, you're not doing it right, Dazzer :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
But that's the thing. It's not about watching the game. What happened was nothing to do with a football match – during which, obviously, emotions run high. It's about ongoing meltdowns/anger/bitterness towards people who have left their job for another job that has better opportunities and money. THAT, when you really think about it, is 'incomprehensible'.

I'm not saying you – or anyone else – is an 'irrational thick naive madman' – nor that you are 'wrong' to feel how you feel. I'm just offering a different point of view of the bigger picture and can't really understand how many fans are *that* surprised by it.

I struggle to be 'hurting' from the situation because a) I realised that it could have happened at any time b) have no issue with someone leaving their job for a better one and c) it's something that is completely out of my control – and is all done and dusted – so what's the point in feeling anything about it? They aren't my members of staff and it's not my business to run :shrug:

And HAS it damaged the club? Only time will tell, surely? The new manager and team might end up doing better than the previous regime would've done. Plus, the lot of them leaving has got TB £20+m!

Greg, that’s a reasonable response - thanks - which, as you intended, reads dispassionately... we clearly differ on several points, but there’s little point back and forthing the hours away.

I’ll leave it there.

It’s a shame this had to happen though, as it has wrought a level of disruption and upheaval that could have been better timed even if it was, as you say, fairly inevitable.

Sigh.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Greg, that’s a reasonable response - thanks - which, as you intended, reads dispassionately... we clearly differ on several points, but there’s little point back and forthing the hours away.

I’ll leave it there.

It’s a shame this had to happen though, as it has wrought a level of disruption and upheaval that could have been better timed even if it was, as you say, fairly inevitable.

Sigh.

:thumbsup:

I can be passionate when it comes to the Albion, believe me. But I can also be rational (too much, perhaps) and look at the bigger picture. I clearly didn't want Potter and co to go –*and was disappointed – but I wasn't shocked, angry or surprised by it. Especially given how the team has performed over the past few (footballing) months.

I guess the only thing I would add is that if he HADN'T have taken the Chelsea job, his head would already have been turned and he may not have been the same manager again, which – arguably – have been worse for the team and the club. His departure draws a line under a very successful period, with the hope that the success can be built on.

My approach to football might be quite a relaxed 'one game at a time', which means I don't get too high or low. However, clearly there are lots who are the opposite, which is absolutely fine by me.

At the end of the day, we all want a successful team, so I'll just get behind whoever is on the pitch and in the dugout :albion2:

Chris36d

Banned
Sep 9, 2022
please not Nathan Jones just doesn't have anywhere nr enough experience, TBH I would rather have Glenn Murray (not that I beeive he is even looking to get into management)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
:thumbsup:

I can be passionate when it comes to the Albion, believe me. But I can also be rational (too much, perhaps) and look at the bigger picture. I clearly didn't want Potter and co to go –*and was disappointed – but I wasn't shocked, angry or surprised by it. Especially given how the team has performed over the past few (footballing) months.

I guess the only thing I would add is that if he HADN'T have taken the Chelsea job, his head would already have been turned and he may not have been the same manager again, which – arguably – have been worse for the team and the club. His departure draws a line under a very successful period, with the hope that the success can be built on.

My approach to football might be quite a relaxed 'one game at a time', which means I don't get too high or low. However, clearly there are lots who are the opposite, which is absolutely fine by me.

At the end of the day, we all want a successful team, so I'll just get behind whoever is on the pitch and in the dugout :albion2:

A top post to round this little one off :)

Albion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

But I imagine in those same industries, when the individual is hired, they don't bring 4 people with them to start with.

You can absolutely discount HIS coaching team from the numbers when looking at who he has 'ripped away' from us. They were and always will follow him around.

The two that hurts are Bruno and Ben. However, when I actually sit back and rationalise it, All that's happened is we have lost a GK coach (They can't be THAT HARD to replace) and 1 first team coach (that's the tricky one).

A new manager will come in with their own staff like Potter did and suddenly we don't have THAT much to sort out in reality.

Tuchel brought in 3 with him when he joined Chelsea. I worked with a guy who went on to be a fitness coach. He followed Ancelotti around to ever club he went to. Standard.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
But I imagine in those same industries, when the individual is hired, they don't bring 4 people with them to start with.

You can absolutely discount HIS coaching team from the numbers when looking at who he has 'ripped away' from us. They were and always will follow him around.

The two that hurts are Bruno and Ben. However, when I actually sit back and rationalise it, All that's happened is we have lost a GK coach (They can't be THAT HARD to replace) and 1 first team coach (that's the tricky one).

A new manager will come in with their own staff like Potter did and suddenly we don't have THAT much to sort out in reality.

Tuchel brought in 3 with him when he joined Chelsea. I worked with a guy who went on to be a fitness coach. He followed Ancelotti around to ever club he went to. Standard.

I agree with the above but based on their reputations Roberts might be a bigger lose than Bruno.

Edit: By reputation I mean their coaching reputation where Roberts seems to have been given a lot credit for helping Sanchez etc.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
De Zerbi’s odds have shortened on sky bet this afternoon. 11/4 second favourite now. Probably just a couple of people sticking on a tenner I guess.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I agree with the above but based on their reputations Roberts might be a bigger lose than Bruno.

Edit: By reputation I mean their coaching reputation where Roberts seems to have been given a lot credit for helping Sanchez etc.

But did he also teach him the occasional bad habit?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
De Zerbi’s odds have shortened on sky bet this afternoon. 11/4 second favourite now. Probably just a couple of people sticking on a tenner I guess.

They're following the Betfair exchange almost certainly. A copy and paste of what I wrote on this thread - https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?396552-Roberto-De-Zerbi#post10391018

A bit of money for him on the Betfair exchange, making him the current favourite. A very thin market though - https://www.betfair.com/exchange/pl...fKQXYpWxw/AkOYiSC1XdexFjMnqOkKRRn20n6v4AusuCR

View attachment 151887

Probably attracted some betting interest after this article: https://www.calciomercato.com/news/brighton-de-zerbi-il-futuro-e-aperto-71952

"Among the names at the top of the Brighton wish list is also that of Roberto De Zerbi, with whom there have been contacts in recent days. First approaches, which have not yet led to an agreement"​

The Betfair exchange will tell a better story about market sentiment than the conventional bookies. If someone had insider information and wanted to make a quick buck, they'd struggle to get more than £20 on at a bookie whereas at Betfair they will be able to get more on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports