[Albion] Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This was always going to be one of those games that if we didn’t win comfortably by halftime then it’s a poor performance. A classic banana skin tie in the making against a side that were up for it, skilful play negated by a lumps n’ bumps rugby pitch, and frustratingly wrong options taken by our players. We got through - just, and really, that’s all that matters. Well done Jason Steele in the shoot out, perfect redemption.

Perfect summing up.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
How is a missing a pen from 12 yds got anything at all to do with Potter?

It's about mental strength and I can see Trossard does not have that. Looks like he plays if he wants to IMO. There is no excuse for that.

Thank feck our Sussex boys play with mental strength and passion and always try to lead from the front. March, Dunk and Webster always give there all.

Of course it's got something to do with Potter. He's the manager of our players who take the penalties. That shoot out was a mirror of our team and management. If nothing is ever to do with Potter why do we bother having a manager.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper make 4 saves in a penalty shootout. It must have happened, but I'm far too lazy to research it.

Anyway, well done Steele. I was CURSING him at that inexplicable fvck-up at the end, and complained bitterly into my Whatsapp group that he owed us big-time in this shootout. I had no idea how much he'd get back into the black to that extent. And they were all terrific saves.

Worth GP keeping him up our sleeve to bring on if we go into another shootout ? I rather think so.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Well done to your players tonight beating Newport on that disgrace of a pitch.
Not an easy tie that and the players dug in when they had to and got through,which in cuo football is all that counts.
Chance now for Crawley Town to face Brighton again in the fa cup.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper make 4 saves in a penalty shootout. It must have happened, but I'm far too lazy to research it.

Anyway, well done Steele. I was CURSING him at that inexplicable fvck-up at the end, and complained bitterly into my Whatsapp group that he owed us big-time in this shootout. I had no idea how much he'd get back into the black to that extent. And they were all terrific saves.

Worth GP keeping him up our sleeve to bring on if we go into another shootout ? I rather think so.

From Wikipedia "Goalkeepers are crucial in penalty shootouts. The record for most penalties saved in a shootout is held by Helmuth Duckadam of Steaua București in the 1986 European Cup Final against Barcelona[47] and Ciarán Kelly who saved all 4 penalties for Sligo Rovers against Shamrock Rovers in the 2010 FAI Cup Final."

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Have to say I think Steele moved before the penalties were hit, but I think the law should allow that anyway. Its very difficult to judge something like the 100 metre starting blocks in football.

And it was obviously a completely s-i- pitch which clearly affected our ( or any other ) eg EPL team !

yes but potter would have known that before announcing the squad and woulda had plenty of time in the dressing room to change tactics before the game started,

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Still not happy with that, we look absolutely shite. Lack of celebration from the players says it all.

Not many positives to take, bar steels recovery and the fact we are through.

Any of the plastic c**ts say anything at work tomorrow and they'll get chinned hahahaha

If only we could amalgamate all 3 keepers into one.

Ryans ball control, Sanchez aerial presence/shot stopping, Steele for Pens.

We'd have a star keeper

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I still read the match day thread but am increasingly disappointed with the quality of the content when we have any sort of game where we struggle. Today though we actually had a couple of posters who I think seemed to be celebrating the 96th minute equaliser - someone else referred to this earlier. Fair enough there are quite a few who now want a change of manager and of course they will express that but surely if we’re Albion fans we’re never going to celebrate the scenario where we give the game away in the last second and have to play a further 30 mins on a dodgy pitch - madness!
By hook or by crook we’re in the hat - great! Another chance in the next round. Focus back now on the main business and hope at some point soon we can turn it round in the PL - God knows we desperately need to - UTA - Keep The Faith

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I still read the match day thread but am increasingly disappointed with the quality of the content when we have any sort of game where we struggle. Today though we actually had a couple of posters who I think seemed to be celebrating the 96th minute equaliser - someone else referred to this earlier. Fair enough there are quite a few who now want a change of manager and of course they will express that but surely if we’re Albion fans we’re never going to celebrate the scenario where we give the game away in the last second and have to play a further 30 mins on a dodgy pitch - madness!
By hook or by crook we’re in the hat - great! Another chance in the next round. Focus back now on the main business and hope at some point soon we can turn it round in the PL - God knows we desperately need to - UTA - Keep The Faith

Hear hear [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This thread has been the worst demonstration so far of how entitled and sometimes frankly clueless some of Brighton's fans are or have become. We barely gave our lower league opposition a look in tonight despite playing a doughty, spirited cup side on a rollered rugby pitch that saw the last two matches postponed. We looked much the better side from start to finish in an enjoyable match and one of our own scored a cracking goal, only to have it matched by an unfortunate keeper error that provoked so ridiculous remarks about why Sanchez or Ryan should therefore have played instead and even more stupid Potter Out comments to back up all the others throughout the thread. Then that penalty shoot-out and the finest goalkeeping performance in a shoot-out that I or commentator Chris Coleman, who knows his stuff, have ever see. No criticism of Ryan or Sanchez intended, but Steele said afterwards that he did his homework, presumably with Roberts, and by God did it pay off. I'm sure he went the right way for every penalty and the saves he made were at full stretch. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable night watching my team win a cracking cup tie like everyone seems to wistfully wish for. More than a few of our fans need to give their heads a wobble and remember what a proper cup tie is like and appreciate the good times like tonight.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We looked quite good in the first half, as far as the highlights on MOTD went. Looked lively, nearly scored, keeper kept us out a couple of times. Typical Albion at the moment, I suppose. Didn't augur well for the 2nd. half - more of the same, probably, rapidly getting more toothless and futile - even desperate. Certainly that's how it sounded listening to Radio Sussex.

Just before the end, I decided to go to the kitchen and pour myself a beer before extra time started - when I got back, we were 1-0 up. I thought my work was done, and was just about to claim credit for our victory ...... and then THAT happened ..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports