Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say I think Steele moved before the penalties were hit, but I think the law should allow that anyway. Its very difficult to judge something like the 100 metre starting blocks in football.

He's allowed to move, as long as at least one of his feet is on the goal-line when the penalty is struck.

Anyhoo, thank fook VAR wasn't involved in that shootout. I don't think my shredded nerves could've taken a forensic review of every save to determine whether he'd come off his line or not.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This thread has been the worst demonstration so far of how entitled and sometimes frankly clueless some of Brighton's fans are or have become. We barely gave our lower league opposition a look in tonight despite playing a doughty, spirited cup side on a rollered rugby pitch that saw the last two matches postponed. We looked much the better side from start to finish in an enjoyable match and one of our own scored a cracking goal, only to have it matched by an unfortunate keeper error that provoked so ridiculous remarks about why Sanchez or Ryan should therefore have played instead and even more stupid Potter Out comments to back up all the others throughout the thread. Then that penalty shoot-out and the finest goalkeeping performance in a shoot-out that I or commentator Chris Coleman, who knows his stuff, have ever see. No criticism of Ryan or Sanchez intended, but Steele said afterwards that he did his homework, presumably with Roberts, and by God did it pay off. I'm sure he went the right way for every penalty and the saves he made were at full stretch. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable night watching my team win a cracking cup tie like everyone seems to wistfully wish for. More than a few of our fans need to give their heads a wobble and remember what a proper cup tie is like and appreciate the good times like tonight.

Absolutely this. Given Newport’s performances in recent years, listening to BT Sport before the match, you could have seen us as underdogs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a dull end to a thread on on exciting game. #entitledorwhat?

Last edited:

el punal

From Wikipedia "Goalkeepers are crucial in penalty shootouts. The record for most penalties saved in a shootout is held by Helmuth Duckadam of Steaua București in the 1986 European Cup Final against Barcelona[47] and Ciarán Kelly who saved all 4 penalties for Sligo Rovers against Shamrock Rovers in the 2010 FAI Cup Final."

With a name like Helmuth Duckadam you’re always going to be a hero. :drink:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This thread has been the worst demonstration so far of how entitled and sometimes frankly clueless some of Brighton's fans are or have become. We barely gave our lower league opposition a look in tonight despite playing a doughty, spirited cup side on a rollered rugby pitch that saw the last two matches postponed. We looked much the better side from start to finish in an enjoyable match and one of our own scored a cracking goal, only to have it matched by an unfortunate keeper error that provoked so ridiculous remarks about why Sanchez or Ryan should therefore have played instead and even more stupid Potter Out comments to back up all the others throughout the thread. Then that penalty shoot-out and the finest goalkeeping performance in a shoot-out that I or commentator Chris Coleman, who knows his stuff, have ever see. No criticism of Ryan or Sanchez intended, but Steele said afterwards that he did his homework, presumably with Roberts, and by God did it pay off. I'm sure he went the right way for every penalty and the saves he made were at full stretch. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable night watching my team win a cracking cup tie like everyone seems to wistfully wish for. More than a few of our fans need to give their heads a wobble and remember what a proper cup tie is like and appreciate the good times like tonight.

Plus their keeper had an excellent game, we could’ve easily had a few more. They pretty much sat back the whole game (nothing wrong with that) and did their best to defend which makes it incredibly difficult for us to score.

I’m not sure Steele even had a save to make.

A lot of the missed passes were criminal though, I suppose a lot can be put down to the pitch, but some were just terrible.

First half was much better than the second. As a team performance, I’d probably give us 6 out of 10. Finishing let us down again, but also credit has to go to the Newport keeper.

Still, bloody exciting (and massively frustrating) and that’s what it’s all about!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Just heard that we’ve won 9 of our last 10 penalty shootouts :rave::ascarf:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Disagree. Newport could and maybe should have beaten us with their chances in normal and extra time. I love an underdog story but for it to happen it normally always is because the richer club has had a very poor game, certainly when the gulf is as big as tonight’s was. They played well, we didn’t (and some) and very nearly exited the competition. It wasn’t cracking, it was embarrassing. We known Our PL side can’t beat PL opposition, tonight we also proved we can’t beat L2 opposition over ‘90 minutes’ either. Fact. Oh, and please can we all stop using the word entitled. It’s overused, inaccurate and makes everyone sound gormless. Almost as annoying as bed wetter. Almost...!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Yes, unbelievable, isn't it!

TBH, I don't think I can remember that many pen shoot outs anyway!

Since I’ve been a fan I can remember:
Swindon Town - Play Offs
Manchester City - League Cup
Millwall - Johnston’s Paint Trophy
Luton Town - Johnston’s Paint Trophy
Wrexham - FA Cup
Millwall - FA Cup

Probably others I’ve forgotten, maybe Shrewsbury Town in the Johnston’s Paint Trophy. For some reason, I thought we’d lost 2.

I was actually at The Amex to see our ‘under-21’s’ play Newport County last season, that went to a penalty shootout and Steele was in goal. Lost that though.

Edit: Yes, we won one against Shrewsbury Town.

Last edited:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Could it get any harder........! :lolol:

**** knows! We couldn’t take our most of chances even if they were on a plate.

Could have easily had about 3 or 4 tonight. Newport did nothing apart from that half chance at the end.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Did he? I saw somewhere that he said White will be involved and it sounds like Tau will get a debut. It will be fringe 1st XI with a sprinkling of regulars. We need a win to take us into the rest of January.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

whereas in hindsight it was pretty much a prem starting 11 apart from steele and as predicted the pitch was a paddock.....struggle , struggle , struggle and 300,000 demoralised new arrivals after watching another pony effort from 40k a week players.

live and learn , onwards and upwards blah blah blah , on a side not the boys lost a mate of mine 29,000 quid by failing to win , i told him not to include them said he was better off taking the odds on crawley at 9.80......live and learn.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Could not watch the game, saw only highlights, so I cannot comment on overall performance. What did see was some terrible defensive errors that led to their goal , and some great recovery tackles.. I never expected a big score but I had hoped for better. Typical Albion..do it the hard way

However we avoided a banana skin defeat. We are in round 4 . Back to the league for now

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He maybe great at pens but he looked well out of his depth for the rest of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did he feck!

One absolute howler, and that horrible pitch induced situation he was fine.

Distribution excellent, 94 mins of safe handling, no flapping, one very good save.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did he feck!

One absolute howler, and that horrible pitch induced situation he was fine.

Distribution excellent, 94 mins of safe handling, no flapping, one very good save.....

I was so uplifted (and shocked) by his penalty saves that I forgave him for being the reason we needed them :smile:

Error apart I thought he did really well. A couple of great saves, good feet and very quick, accurate and positive distribution.

Best ever penalty saving I have seen from an Albion keeper and a couple of them he had no right to save

Unless you were throwing things at the screen and ranting, that penalty shootout was really positive and exciting stuff. It’s for moments like this that I love and watch football :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was so uplifted (and shocked) by his penalty saves that I forgave him for being the reason we needed them :smile:

Error apart I thought he did really well. A couple of great saves, good feet and very quick, accurate and positive distribution.

Best ever penalty saving I have seen from an Albion keeper and a couple of them he had no right to save

Unless you were throwing things at the screen and ranting, that penalty shootout was really positive and exciting stuff. It’s for moments like this that I love and watch football :shrug:

David Stockdale saving three successive pens in our promotion season wasn't a bad achievement though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have any issues with the goalkeeping or defending. And yes, we looked the better side from start to finish, but you'd expect that. The problem, as usual, was the slow, laboured build-up and the dithering over the final pass - which is partly the result of a lack of movement on the part of our so-called strikers.

We've had problems in league games with the time we offer opponents to get men back behind the ball, and when they are already massed on their own 18-yard line (Sheffield United, Newport), it becomes even more of an indulgence. I hoped that the second half against Wolves had switched a light on somewhere in the coaching staff, but apparently not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here