Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven - great value for money property wise - dump or place on the up?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the italian cafe on west quay is excellent.

i would take newhaven over many of the options offered. fishermans club, a ferry to ANOTHER country on your dorrstep, excellent bus links to btn and THREE railway stations if you count spooky newhaven marine, tide mills, the fort, couple of decent chip shops, sea fishing on tap or piddinghoe for the river.

yes its a dump but its a nice dump. do it mate. you will be a pioneer for the gentrification.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Have you thought about Polegate , prices similar to newhaven , on a commuter line and direct train to falmer. And if they do move east Sussex county council offices there from Lewes then prices will keep going up..........just a thought.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We were doing a building job in the centre overlooking the bakers,we reckon it had a 90% drop out rate.i had never been there before and was a bit surprised by it.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
If the development plans come off on Newhaven, the prices of property will go up alot, but thats a big if, they been talking about this developing for years. One thing for sure if they dont then the town will fold away there is no doubt its not great at the moment but its not as bad as people make out either.

I virtually never post on here, but read it a lot and as someone who grew up in and around Newhaven, went to school there etc. i feel like I can comment on this subject.

I moved away from Newhaven quite a few years ago and certainly wouldn't rush back there, but that's mainly due to its proximity to London. However, there are far worse places you could choose to live, IMO. The transport access is good and the train station is a huge plus for easy access, being one of the few places you can get to Falmer in 20 minutes without having to change trains.

The pubs aren't great, and there can be a clique, but it's easily broken and people are friendly enough. There are nearby options for a change of scenery, including Seaford, Lewes and of course Brighton, all easily accessible by train.

I totally agree with The Spanish in that it's a dump, but a nice dump. There has been talk of regeneration in the town for years and whether the true potential will ever be realised, only time will tell. Certainly the first wave of new property built there didn't change things much and I would expect it will be many years before it becomes a truly desirable place to live, if that ever happens. The town center really needs a good going over.

My biggest recommendation would be to avoid Peacehaven like the plague. It's a horrible place with no soul whatsoever and the pubs there really are terrible. Seaford thinks its a class above, but isn't, although can make a nice change as its close by and has a slightly better variety of places to eat and drink.

I have also lived in Hove (which is great, but expensive) and then moved to Mid Suusex for easier access to work in London. A lot of people slate Burgess Hill, which is where I last lived before work took me to Melbourne, Australia (this will give my identity away to a few on here). A lot of people slate the place, yet it's where I'd go back to when I return to England. Its really not a bad town, has everything you need and access to Brighton and London is excellent. I also lived in Haywards Heath, which like Seaford thinks its a class above its neighboring towns, but in fact is a boring nothing town with only charity shops down its high street. I've seen more herberts causing trouble down the Broadway on a Friday or Saturday night than anywhere I've ever lived.

Not lived West of Brighton and not had any desire to do so, so cannot comment on those places. All in all, I think you could do a lot worse than Newhaven to buy your first place. You'll certainly get more house for your money than many other Sussex towns. If the promised changes happen, you'll make money, if they don't someone will be in a similar position and you'll get the standard return given the overall market conditions at the time.

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Newhaven has its own climate...AND we're getting a KFC

:cool:

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
My biggest recommendation would be to avoid Peacehaven like the plague. It's a horrible place with no soul whatsoever and the pubs there really are terrible.

I've lived in both Newhaven and Peacehaven, lived in Peacehaven a lot longer though and can honestly say I think Peacehaven is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than Newhaven. And no I don't live in Peacehaven now either.

I've lived in both Newhaven and Peacehaven, lived in Peacehaven a lot longer though and can honestly say I think Peacehaven is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than Newhaven. And no I don't live in Peacehaven now either.

Each to their own mate, but personally I cannot stand the place. It just has nothing there at all and has gone further and further down hill over the years IMO. Newhaven isn't great by any means, but certain features allow it to retain some character at least. Peacehaven is just somewhere you drive through....the faster the better!

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
Hi All

I am a Brighton boy who is moving back to sussex to work after going away to uni. I am a first time buyer looking for a 2/3 bedroom house. Obviously I cannot afford Brighton/Hove.

I have always had a soft spot for newhaven, used to fish on the arm. Real cmmunity real in the town. Ive heard people say they think it is a town on the up.

What are NSC's thoughts?

Newhaven was 'hurt' wen the one way system was constructed and then when the town planners let Sainsbury build their store 1/2 mile to the East of the town centre that killed off most hope of regenerating the town centre.

The West Quay developments have lifted the area and with future developments along the river I feel the 'heart' of Newhaven will move from the town centre to the quay.
There are different areas (as in all towns) South Heighton, Denton, Mount Pleasant, East Side, West Quay, Court Farm, Meeching, Hillside and the Valley (other local variations) so several different neighbourhoods for you to choose from with individual community spirits! What they all have in common is a poor town centre which means a trip to for anything bar food to Seaford, Lewes, Brighton or Eastbourne; Lots of underage pregnancy, a large number of unemployed young people, lack of aspiration, etc like most coastal towns (Brighton being the exception)

The transport links are good Lewes 10 minutes, London Victoria or London Bridge 1 1/2 hours. Regular buses (with bus lanes) to Brighton and Eastbourne including late nights!!. Reach A23/A27 junction in 15 minutes easily (AMEX EVEN QUICKER)
The local School (Tideway) are producing amazing educational results and are approaching the top 25% of perfomance NATIONALLY for schools in their class.

With the prices in brighton and Hove spiralling the young-un's will look out side of the city for homes......So in answer to the original question Newhaven would be an investment and a reasonable base to get to Brighton & Hove and the commuting corridor to London and I would say it wasn't a bad idea!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Have you not been to Crawley?
So please tell me what Newhaven has that Crawley hasn't apart from the sea and a ferry ?
We have the best leisure centre in the county, the best shopping centre in the county (with the exception of Churchill square), untold parks and open spaces, plenty of jobs courtesy of manor royal and the airport.
Ok we may lack a bit of character as a town and we have our fair share of dickheads, but I was in Newhaven for work on Tuesday and it was chavtastic.
Facility wise Crawley is up there with the best of the county, if the town was a bit older with a Victorian influence people would be falling over themselves to live here.
We get too much criticism in my opinion, but give me Crawley over Newhaven any day.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Newhaven was 'hurt' wen the one way system was constructed and then when the town planners let Sainsbury build their store 1/2 mile to the East of the town centre that killed off most hope of regenerating the town centre.

The West Quay developments have lifted the area and with future developments along the river I feel the 'heart' of Newhaven will move from the town centre to the quay.
There are different areas (as in all towns) South Heighton, Denton, Mount Pleasant, East Side, West Quay, Court Farm, Meeching, Hillside and the Valley (other local variations) so several different neighbourhoods for you to choose from with individual community spirits! What they all have in common is a poor town centre which means a trip to for anything bar food to Seaford, Lewes, Brighton or Eastbourne; Lots of underage pregnancy, a large number of unemployed young people, lack of aspiration, etc like most coastal towns (Brighton being the exception)

The transport links are good Lewes 10 minutes, London Victoria or London Bridge 1 1/2 hours. Regular buses (with bus lanes) to Brighton and Eastbourne including late nights!!. Reach A23/A27 junction in 15 minutes easily (AMEX EVEN QUICKER)
The local School (Tideway) are producing amazing educational results and are approaching the top 25% of perfomance NATIONALLY for schools in their class.

With the prices in brighton and Hove spiralling the young-un's will look out side of the city for homes......So in answer to the original question Newhaven would be an investment and a reasonable base to get to Brighton & Hove and the commuting corridor to London and I would say it wasn't a bad idea!

The above is pretty spot on to be fair! Lived all over the country over the last 20 years or so, Cornwall, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Dorset to name a few and most were nice but all had shit holes! All had unemployment, all had young mums and all had there fair share of chavs! However, you make the most of where you live.

As said before, Newhaven Town is sadly a run down, tired, sorry, exhausted excuse for a shopping centre but don't dismiss the surrounding areas as many are very nice! It is all too easy to make assumptions on the whole of the area based on the state of a small part!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why not rent somewhere there first so you can see if you like it (or hate it). Otherwise all you will get from this is a load of other peoples impresions which will run something similar to... hate/like/hate/hate/like/hate/like which probably will only confuse matters.

kalinx

Jan 11, 2006
Thanks for the info - especially to The Spanish/Bisto and Barry from Eastenders for the more positive comments..Part of the reason is the fishing - I belong to a fishing club in Hove. I also like the community atmosphere, the fact it isnt pretentious and there is the chance it may redevelop.

Interesting about Tideway too that it is on the up

It needs some nice pubs, the Hope along the front isnt bad at all. The quay could be really nice with some money, there are great old victorian wharfs down there
For Das Reich, im a state school boy went to Stringer so no it isnt from mummy and daddy, it is from hard graft to get to where I am today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here