Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Greer was the obvious exponent of this of late and before him Say Horton. Maybe they should take a look at this aspect cos it's an obvious source of point costing over 46 games. Might Duffy turn out to be the flag bearer and in the process swing favour against all the bad press?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was tempted to mention spoiling the game but restrained for fear of getting into a debate on the black and whiteness of giving the yellow but the Mariner approach was really what I was alluding to. The game actual does have a value and that is clearly undermined when a Stroud approach is adopted as a response to such as Baldocks untimely departure.

Yes, couldn't agree more. What refs also forget is that fans have paid to see the match. A lot of games are spoiled by a needless red card. In t'olden days, a sending off was a rare event. I still think that should be the case. Two minor fouls (the second one probably not even a foul) shouldn't mean a player has to leave the pitch.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Yes, couldn't agree more. What refs also forget is that fans have paid to see the match. A lot of games are spoiled by a needless red card. In t'olden days, a sending off was a rare event. I still think that should be the case. Two minor fouls (the second one probably not even a foul) shouldn't mean a player has to leave the pitch.

Rare indeed. In those days it took something like Wally Gould And John Boyle of Chelsea in the 3rd round to raise the refs hee brows to the extent of sending off - no red or any other colour cards of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now that so many things are compulsory reds and yellows, perhaps it's time for a rule change? Two yellows, or a single red, and you miss the next game, and don't get sent off. Further incursions would, of course mean a sending off - but that would have been a much fairer outcome in both the Stephens and Baldock cases.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Now that so many things are compulsory reds and yellows, perhaps it's time for a rule change? Two yellows, or a single red, and you miss the next game, and don't get sent off. Further incursions would, of course mean a sending off - but that would have been a much fairer outcome in both the Stephens and Baldock cases.

Common sense is compulsory too but both examples belie that fact.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Stringing it out - it's a bloody long time to the next match day thread, thanks to the f***ing international break. :thumbsup:

Fair enough. Personally, I'm happy with the US Open - I'm starting to think I far more enjoy watching Cricket, Tennis and Golf these days, than some over-paid namby-panby soccerball players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We don't have the quality of players the Newcastle have.

Rafa is a better manager than CH

Absolutely no suprise that we lost, bring on the Brentford game.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I was looking through this for some comment about Duffy's first game, but became infatuated with the whole thread, the up vs downs, the pessimism vs,the move on,, the need for a striker and we're good enough, the complete absence of hope of top 2 vs the top 6.

''Twas ever thus' , I guess...

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Well thanks a lot for that. Was on my way to bed but like you started reading, and finished the bottle of wine, and got totally absorbed. Match day threads are something you usually read in (almost) real time, so knowing the result and then reading our hopes and fears in real time are quite revealing. Who would have thought after that match that we would be above the barcodes, at the top of the league and 8 points clear of third with a game in hand? FA cup bah humbug.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I got sucked in too, this morning! Amazing some of the meltdowns - one poster saying Baldock should never play again, others calling for CH to be sacked... I might check out the Brentford thread in a minute. Takes my mind off my toothache and swollen face...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here