Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What would be the best way to get from Newark airport to Times Square? We have thought about taxi but been told that could be a bit of a mare because we get there at lunch time. Any advise would be good. Ta in advance.

The train from Newark to Penn Station, takes about 30 mins and costs about $14 if memory serves.

That'll get you to 34th Street, from which you can either walk or get the subway to Times Sq/42nd.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The train from Newark to Penn Station, takes about 30 mins and costs about $14 if memory serves.

That'll get you to 34th Street, from which you can either walk or get the subway to Times Sq/42nd.

$12.50 to Penn Station.

NB as we found out last night getting a ticket to return to Newark involves a 40 minute queue to buy a tixket from a TVM and make sure you use the NJ Transit ones not the Metro ones.

Newark Airport has very little to entertain you with as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What would be the best way to get from Newark airport to Times Square? We have thought about taxi but been told that could be a bit of a mare because we get there at lunch time. Any advise would be good. Ta in advance.

Taxi over $100 as going through a toll road

Jan 21, 2012
$12.50 to Penn Station.

NB as we found out last night getting a ticket to return to Newark involves a 40 minute queue to buy a tixket from a TVM and make sure you use the NJ Transit ones not the Metro ones.

Newark Airport has very little to entertain you with as well.

Is a bus a good option or is the train the best option?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is a bus a good option or is the train the best option?

Sorry, no idea on buses but was advised here on NSC to get the New Jersey Transit there as we flew into JFK and back from Newark for $12.50 each way pretty reasonable as around a 30 minute journey.

Oh and Expedia are a bunch of ***** when it comes to booking a transfer, we showed our vouchers at JFK and was told in no uncertain terms Expedia should not book them so got a cab from there and have written to Expedia who sent me an auto-mail saying we will respond within 28 days.

PM if you want any further low down on what to do.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
To avoid the expense and traffic which can get bad, suggest:

From JFK: Take AirTrain from the terminal to Jamaica and transfer to the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) for a quick transfer to Penn Station. Can also take the 'E' train subway from Jamaica, cheaper but slower. Another option is to take AirTrain to Howard Beach and then the 'A' train, again slower - a good option though for the Brooklyn hipsters.
From Newark, as said AirTrain Newark from the terminals to the transfer station, and then onto NJT to NYC Penn Station. If going to lower Manhattan could opt to change onto PATH at Newark Penn, goes to Christopher Street (West Village) and onto the WTC station. Cheaper too, and if really cash conscious take the local bus from the terninals to Newark Penn and then PATH. That should cost less than $5.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Got back this morning. What an amazing city. Our first American trip but most definitely not our last. Was amazed at the location of our hotel
(directly opposite Madison square garden and Penn station ) bit disappointed with the hotel ( Pennsylvania ), photos looked good,shame about the rooms, hey ho we live and learn. Six days not enough for even the small amount that we wanted to do ( thanks for the tips, much appreciated ), so we will have to go back and finish what we started. High lights, the view from the Empire State building observation deck, WTC memorial,
Times square ( mental ), High line ( great walk and a different view of the city ) and the bar maid who saved us $50 by telling us not to do the Statue of liberty cruise as we planned but to take the Staten Island ferry which is free and you get just as good a look and photo opportunities as paying for a cruise, the only difference is you don't get off at Liberty island. The American museum of natural history, I probably done only a very small percentage as it is mahoosive and got pleasure in knowing the good lady wife was not enjoying it, just as I did not enjoy our day trip to Woodbury common shopping centre. Fecking freezing Tuesday and Wednesday but got warmer towards the weekend, so much so that you could have walked around in a short sleeved shirt. The yanks are gearing up for christmas and I must say they do it in style, the shop displays, the market at Bryant park and the enthusiasim for the festive holidays. All in all a very enjoyable break and back to work/reality tomorrow.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We did a helicopter tour. Absolutely amazing to see NY from above. Give yourself plenty of time for Central Park too. We spent a good couple of hours wandering, and we barely scratched the surface!

The Albion bar is adjacent to Empire State, and had a signed Skint shirt inside, not to mention hundreds of other shirts from around the world. We popped in late morning so didn't stay for a drink, but it's 30 seconds from Empire State so worth a look!
I'm in MY now and hotel is very close to Empire State building but I cannot find the Albion bar, is it called that? I have found Foleys although not been in and Legends which are on E33rd/5th. If you can let me know where it is out called, I would love to go.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm in MY now and hotel is very close to Empire State building but I cannot find the Albion bar, is it called that? I have found Foleys although not been in and Legends which are on E33rd/5th. If you can let me know where it is out called, I would love to go.

I thought that was it! I was lead to believe it was run by an Albion fan, or something like that? It's been a few years since I've been, so I don't know if it's changed or anything like that, but Foley's rings a bell!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, there was Ann old guy that owned it and provided the Brighton stuff but he has passed away now. Not a bad pub though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two days into a stay in Midtown, we’ve already done lots including the full length of The High Line and the World Trade Center. Paid our respects to Robert Eaton and all the other souls.

12CA10FE-E70D-40C5-BD11-079B804EDEDA.png

C04EDEA3-4EF0-4758-B996-5435203DF6BF.png

Plenty of other things planned, we’re loving NYC.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Done 6 days, of which 3 were too many. £16 for a pint off Times Square. Have you been to Chelsea Market? Great when you get hungry. If going to Coney Island look up the Brew Pub next to Nathan Hot Dogs. And walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

Yes, the The High Line walk is wonderful, and visiting the World Trade Center museum is absolutely harrowing but must be done - an aura of pure evil mixed with a legacy of unimaginable human bravery by the NY fire-fighters who knew they were climbing to their deaths, but also knew they were bound by professional duty and their sense of public service.

I must confess, though, that when I list visited New York a few years ago, it had lost much of its bohemian charm; I used to adore Greenwich Village, but as is always the case, the 'boho' and 'alternative' or 'creative' types have been forced out by astronomical rents, and we found much of the place to be bland and corporate; where there used to be really interesting independent shops and cafes which were ideal for people-watching, there are now far too many corporate estate agents and commercial lawyers in Manhatten and Greenwich Village, and the old 'vibe' has been lost.

That said, MacDougall Street and Bleecker Street in the heart of the West Village are still worth a walk, as is Washington Square Park in the early evening, surrounded by lovely brownstone terraces.

Enjoy the rest of your visit - Central Park is great for an afternoon stroll, and, again, for people-watching (and watching your possessions!). It is also overlooked, on the south-west side by the magnificent Dakota Building where John Lennon lived, and Yoko apparently still does.

The New York subway is a great experience too - getting on a clattering graffiti-covered train with 'The Bronx' as it's stated destination is like being in a 1970s' movie!

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Fantastic. We were there 2 weeks ago and loved it. Around the High Line Chelsea Market is good. You can also see the bar that's now on the site of where Thomas Paine died (for that Sussex connection) which is about 30 seconds from the Friends' apartment if that kind of thing interests you. Also in that area is the Ghostbusters HQ, which is still a working fire station (with a lot of Ghostbusters memorabilia!)

Another quite fun thing is Times Square early morning - you can see Good Morning America being filmed every day during the week (7.30am I usually walked past on my way to get a coffee) as the studio faces onto the street and they have the shutters open and every now and then a bit of a celeb spotting as a result. Saw Chris Hemsworth on his way in one day very casually talking to people - surprisingly the crowd outside never seemed to be more than a dozen people. We also liked Coney Island a lot - we were there 4th July and had a great time - and Williamsburg. The latter is hipster central but had a very chilled out feel to it compared to Manhattan.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay. I'm already feeling very nostalgic for it and wanting to be back.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As a former resident of the city, I would say that the best bits of Manhattan are the non tourist areas.

I lived in Midtown which is full of cracking diners, bagel shops and independent stores only used by the locals. Times Sq is crap - sure go and see it but don't linger. High Line good - walk south to eat in the Meatpackers.

My tips for alternative places to go would be a walk along Riverside Park on the West Side in the evening, the north end of Central Park above the reservoir, Tomkins Sq Park in Alphabet City (check out the Joe Strummer mural) and a wander through the West Village. Cable car to Roosevelt Island is brilliant too.

If you want to go high, Rockefeller Centre is best (not the Empire State Building!) One World Trade is a must see though and the museum below is fabulous.

Madison Diner on 1st between E53rd and 54th is a genuine proper place to eat. For a burger PJ Clarke's is fantastic (google it). Favourite more upmarket restaurant in the Minetta in the Village (think its on MaDougall and Bleecker).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The New York subway is a great experience too - getting on a clattering graffiti-covered train with 'The Bronx' as it's stated destination is like being in a 1970s' movie!

I ran the NYC marathon a few years back and it covers all 5 boroughs. When we entered The Bronx some wag had a sign which read 'The Bronx, best to keep running'. Made me chuckle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

Yes, the The High Line walk is wonderful, and visiting the World Trade Center museum is absolutely harrowing but must be done - an aura of pure evil mixed with a legacy of unimaginable human bravery by the NY fire-fighters who knew they were climbing to their deaths, but also knew they were bound by professional duty and their sense of public service.

I must confess, though, that when I list visited New York a few years ago, it had lost much of its bohemian charm; I used to adore Greenwich Village, but as is always the case, the 'boho' and 'alternative' or 'creative' types have been forced out by astronomical rents, and we found much of the place to be bland and corporate; where there used to be really interesting independent shops and cafes which were ideal for people-watching, there are now far too many corporate estate agents and commercial lawyers in Manhatten and Greenwich Village, and the old 'vibe' has been lost.

That said, MacDougall Street and Bleecker Street in the heart of the West Village are still worth a walk, as is Washington Square Park in the early evening, surrounded by lovely brownstone terraces.

Enjoy the rest of your visit - Central Park is great for an afternoon stroll, and, again, for people-watching (and watching your possessions!). It is also overlooked, on the south-west side by the magnificent Dakota Building where John Lennon lived, and Yoko apparently still does.

Thanks.

We visited the Dakota Building yesterday, strolled through Central Park (it’s vast) in an attempt to get to The Met but got drenched in unexpected thunderstorms and an amazing Broadway theatre trip. Off shopping today.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
As a former resident of the city, I would say that the best bits of Manhattan are the non tourist areas.

I lived in Midtown which is full of cracking diners, bagel shops and independent stores only used by the locals. Times Sq is crap - sure go and see it but don't linger. High Line good - walk south to eat in the Meatpackers.

My tips for alternative places to go would be a walk along Riverside Park on the West Side in the evening, the north end of Central Park above the reservoir, Tomkins Sq Park in Alphabet City (check out the Joe Strummer mural) and a wander through the West Village. Cable car to Roosevelt Island is brilliant too.

If you want to go high, Rockefeller Centre is best (not the Empire State Building!) One World Trade is a must see though and the museum below is fabulous.

Madison Diner on 1st between E53rd and 54th is a genuine proper place to eat. For a burger PJ Clarke's is fantastic (google it). Favourite more upmarket restaurant in the Minetta in the Village (think its on MaDougall and Bleecker).

Staying in Harlem for three nights later this year as part of a NY stay and could do with a bit of advice on things to do locally to Harlem i.e. where to eat and drink, music (jazz preferably) and where and what to avoid! Thoughts?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Been a few years since we last went, we were recommended here and it was a great Hotel and a great Location.

https://washingtonsquarehotel.com/

Mrs Jakarta didn't feel so good on our first night so she went to bed early. As it was Monday and I was an NFL Fan I took a trip down the street to a Sports Bar for the evening game.

The New York Giants were playing (can't remember who - Broncos or Bengals I think so an Interconference Game?) so I got into having a beer or two with the locals who couldn't believe I didn't just know about the game but was an enthusiast who could name recent Giants players such as Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms and Mark Bavaro.

The usual reply was: Hell this Limey knows his stuff - you need a beer? :thumbsup:

I THINK the Giants won but was a little unsteady by the time I wandered back to the hotel, replete with back slapping and business cards ( which of course have never been needed or used).:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here