New York

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but didn't go to the Bronx or Harlem. Others have told me that these places are not as safe, but we had no reason to go anyway.

It's a big city, like London. the same rules apply.

I have not been to the Bronx but I have been to Harlem a few times and to me it feels reasonably safe; we were two middle-aged white guys wandering around looking at architecture, looking at the neighbourhood and hitting a few bars; we were sensible and we felt comfortable. Your point about London is a good one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And on a craft beer tip the stouts and pumpkin ales will be pouring now. Get yourself down to Blind Tiger Ale House.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did the Rockefeller Tower, Hi Line and finished the day seeing Matilda.

Rockefeller was ok, Hi Line amazing and Matilda an excellent choice by Mrs Hut.

Let's see what all the fuss about Yanks and Haloween is tonight.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I have not been to the Bronx but I have been to Harlem a few times and to me it feels reasonably safe; we were two middle-aged white guys wandering around looking at architecture, looking at the neighbourhood and hitting a few bars; we were sensible and we felt comfortable. Your point about London is a good one.

The Bronx is a much overlooked borough, mainly I think because of it's reputation for crime. However the Bronx is the home of NYC's zoo, a walk along Grand Concourse is quite interesting, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Concourse_(Bronx) There are some great, authentic NYC style Italian restaurants on Arthur Avenue. Not as amazing as Manhattan or Brooklyn, but worth a look if on a longer stay. But do take all sensible preecautions.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
There are some great, authentic NYC style Italian restaurants on Arthur Avenue. .
In fact this area has become the new Little Italy, mainly because Chinatown on Manhattan is very quickly spreading uptown and taking over what used to be Little Italy and Nolita. But be sensible, do not walk around at night over in the Bronx, anywhere in the Bronx, take a cab straight in to Arthur Ave or the Zoo, then make sure you get the hell out of dodge the same way, don't do the subways on those lines at night.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Another way to get to the Bronx - limited stations though, is Metro North from Grand Central. I think there is a station a few blocks north of Arthur Avenue. Metro North is also a nifty and quick way to get to 125th Street in Harlem - in fact could combine the two quite easily.
Of course another of NYC's great institutions, the Yankees are in the Bronx. A great way to attend is to take the special ferry service up the East River, then a short stroll from the landing stage into the stadium. I think you can do something similar to get over to the Mets in Queens.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Ten days until we fly off the NYC. The good lady wife is as excited as usual as we prepare for our hols and now that is begining to rub off on me. I have drawn up an itinerary from all the info and tips from NSC and just hope we can stick to what we have planned.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ten days until we fly off the NYC. The good lady wife is as excited as usual as we prepare for our hols and now that is begining to rub off on me. I have drawn up an itinerary from all the info and tips from NSC and just hope we can stick to what we have planned.

Make sure you pre-book Statue Of Liberty as we could only book for the pedestal. Pre-book 9/11 memorial otherwise prepare to queue.

Check out the City Pass as you can save a lot of money on the attractions.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Saw an advert on the new digital ad screen at Brighton Station earlier that Norwegian (the airline) will be starting direct flights from Gatwick to the US, and New York in particular - starting at only £149 each way - start in 2014. Flights are 3 days a week with 1 each way for New York.

Using new Dreamliner planes too, leather seats, free wi-fi and a touch screen snack ordering service in standard - pretty cheap !! Only for sale until September 2014 at the moment, looking at going over next November, so will have to keep an eye out.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Make sure you pre-book Statue Of Liberty as we could only book for the pedestal. Pre-book 9/11 memorial otherwise prepare to queue.

Check out the City Pass as you can save a lot of money on the attractions.

Does the City Pass get you Q jump as well as discounted entrance? I am heading to NY in 4 weeks during thanksgiving and i assume it is going to be busy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Does the City Pass get you Q jump as well as discounted entrance? I am heading to NY in 4 weeks during thanksgiving and i assume it is going to be busy.

Yes for a few things as the queue to pay is huge, Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) to be trendy saved a good hour of a queue.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine

May see you there, we're flying out 2 days after Thanksgiving. Can't wait..........although we will miss the Barnsley game.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Weathers definitely turning here so be prepared to pack the thermals, gloves and wooly hat !

Jan 21, 2012
Weathers definitely turning here so be prepared to pack the thermals, gloves and wooly hat !

Been keeping an eye on the weather out there now because i'll be out there in just over a week. Me and the missus are proper excited about it. We are both New York virgins.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rain earlier but now overcast but warm.

Pleasant morning in Central Park Zoo.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Been keeping an eye on the weather out there now because i'll be out there in just over a week. Me and the missus are proper excited about it. We are both New York virgins.

75F and windy today.....weird time of year for weather in Northeast US.

Jan 21, 2012
What would be the best way to get from Newark airport to Times Square? We have thought about taxi but been told that could be a bit of a mare because we get there at lunch time. Any advise would be good. Ta in advance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports