Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
PM Sent. Thanks! We are thinking of going to some sort of sporting event. What sport does everyone recommend we go and watch?

Replied to your PM. As for sport, depends what you like and when you go. Baseball starts in April. Their daft version of 'Football' is about to finish. Ice Hockey is great, finishes end of April. No idea about Basketball or the Red Bulls (our Football).

Really worth going to Yankee Stadium though. If only to see the Stadium. It's a day out in itself. I personally love Baseball and recommend it.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Replied to your PM. As for sport, depends what you like and when you go. Baseball starts in April. Their daft version of 'Football' is about to finish. Ice Hockey is great, finishes end of April. No idea about Basketball or the Red Bulls (our Football).

Really worth going to Yankee Stadium though. If only to see the Stadium. It's a day out in itself. I personally love Baseball and recommend it.

Thanks very much for the advice. Have just looked online, the Nicks have a basketball game whilst we are there so will probably go to that! Do you know whether you can get tickets on the day easily or shall we book online before hand? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Thanks very much for the advice. Have just looked online, the Nicks have a basketball game whilst we are there so will probably go to that! Do you know whether you can get tickets on the day easily or shall we book online before hand? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll ask my mate Shaun and e-mail you tomorrow. He owns the bar next to the Empire State Building and there's nothing he doesn't know about sports tickets. Cheers.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I'll ask my mate Shaun and e-mail you tomorrow. He owns the bar next to the Empire State Building and there's nothing he doesn't know about sports tickets. Cheers.

Thanks very much. Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow :thumbsup:

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

I can tell you now, if you want a decent seat, book online. I couldn't get tickets for the Knicks game when I was there, so settled for the Brooklyn nets.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I can tell you now, if you want a decent seat, book online. I couldn't get tickets for the Knicks game when I was there, so settled for the Brooklyn nets.

Nice one fella, cheers.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, today's the day.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, it's going to be a great trip I'm sure.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
I'm marking this thread because I'm going late summer. What is best time to go regarding weather etc.

Noldi

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I'm marking this thread because I'm going late summer. What is best time to go regarding weather etc.

Noldi

I have been 4 times, but only at Summer time and December time-summer time can get ridiculously hot,but great and if you have enough time can chill in Central Park etc.The other two times were in December and its obviously cold but not cold enough to stop you doing anything.Guess what I'm saying is that both are good times-December for me may beat it just,because certain magic about New York at Christmas

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You had that cup of tea yet?

Bloody hell that baggage reclaim takes a while these days! :jester:

OK, tips wise:

- I 100% echo what others on this thread have said about the High Line. Definitely take the time to walk the whole length of it (either direction, personally I did south-north but that was more to do with where I was when I decided to do it - ie: the south end was closer).
- If you are going to go to the top of something for a panoramic view, do the Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State - it's better because it's closer to the middle of Manhattan Island so you get a more even all-round view, and of course if you're in the Empire State Building then you can't see the Empire State Building.
- I did a 3-hour Circle Line cruise (from Pier 86 - the very west end of West 42nd Street) right around Manhattan Island, which I found to be really interesting. There's a guy with a microphone pointing out all the sights and points of interest right the way round, and it's also a very good way to get pics of the Statue while Liberty Island is still closed due to the after-effects of Sandy. Leaves daily at 2:30, so you get some nice sunsets depending on what time of year you go.
- If you want a museum to visit, then it HAS to be the Metropolitan Museum Of Art (The Met), which is simply stunning. Huge though, you'll never get around it all in one day so get a map and make your choices. The Egyptian temple room they have there is beautiful.
- GCT is definitely worth a visit if only for the sheer scale of the thing - as has been said it's an easy subway ride from Times Square.
- Check the weather before you go and pack accordingly - New York when it's cold is seriously COLD, the skyscrapers turn the streets into giant wind tunnels basically.
- Definitely spend some time walking in Central Park - seriously relaxing and calm compared to the noise, bustle and chaos which is (literally) all around it.
- Try not to spend too much time in the Subway - part of going to New York is experiencing the general atmosphere and buzz of the place and you will miss out on so much of it down there. If you do need to use the Subway, make sure you're clear on where you need to get to and whether that requires a Local or Express train on the relevant line to reach it, otherwise you can very easily end up blocks past where you wanted to be and then have to spend time going back towards your destination. The Subway is very reasonably priced though, it must be said ($29 for an unlimited 7 day card).

Last but not least:

- Enjoy it. It's an awesome city and a place you'll almost certainly want to go back to again and again.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone have any interesting suggestions to spend a morning in Brooklyn? What areas, any particular things? Will probably end up at the Brewery.

Also a good breakfast/brunch spot there appreciated

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Palm is my second favourite, well third if you count Lugers which has really bad service as a core deliverable..... try The Palm next time, again, like Keens you get great meat, great service, but with a less formal ambiance.

Went to Keens again this time - better this time. Had the mutton chop - oh my god what a ridiculous sized bit of meat ! Did about 2/3rds of it and had to give up.

Bloody love NYC, would move there if I could. Also spent half a day in Brooklyn, facsinating areas, but going very hipster. Think I was the only one not drinking bloody marys where we had brunch!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Went to Keens again this time - better this time. Had the mutton chop - oh my god what a ridiculous sized bit of meat ! Did about 2/3rds of it and had to give up.

Bloody love NYC, would move there if I could. Also spent half a day in Brooklyn, facsinating areas, but going very hipster. Think I was the only one not drinking bloody marys where we had brunch!
That mutton chop is a trial that's for sure,..... huge, but very tasty.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
So, how was the trip?

Sorry, forgot about this!

It was amazing. Amongst other things, points of note were..

• Went to the basketball - Atmosphere wasn't what I'd expected - a bit flat. But the Barclays Center is a sight to behold and the whole experience was quality.
  • Top of the Rock - views are unreal. Highly recommend
  • Highline - FREEEEEZING, but a really nice walk. Walked from North to South which was definitely a better option than walking up and ending up in the middle of a construction site.
  • Went for dinner at The View for my other half's birthday, it'ts a revolving restaurant above Times Sq. Food was average but as the name suggests, the views were worth it.
  • 9/11 Memorial - Although I liked the actual water features, I wasn't really impressed with the way they've branded it all - felt a bit tacky rather than worthy of such an event. The museum isn't ready yet, so there wasn't that much there to really inform people. But glad I saw it nonetheless.
  • Walked A LOT
  • Shopped A LOT
  • Am now poor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here