Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I went to a Brooklyn Nets game last month. They've got a shiny new stadium called the Barclays centre.

I highly recommend it! It's also very easy to get to by subway.

And ridiculously easy to get away from by subway. Puts the Amex to shame in that area.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Lunch at Diner and have a few beers in the hipster bars I reckon. Brooklyn is a brilliant place.

Toms Diner ..... Its an old school diner classic,.... we had some late breakfasts there.... awesome.

Greenwood Cemetery Tour

Subway to Coney Island..... its well worth a wander along the boardwalk taking in sights and sounds

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Can anybody recommend any good hotels? We are looking at the Waldorf Astoria and the New York Palace, anybody stayed there?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Do Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre instead of the Empire State Building. Simply, when you're up the Empire State you can't see the Empire State. Go up before dusk and watch the sun fall and the city light up.

2nd that forget Empire State, overrated, expensive and rude stuff..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Toms Diner ..... Its an old school diner classic,.... we had some late breakfasts there.... awesome.

Greenwood Cemetery Tour

Subway to Coney Island..... its well worth a wander along the boardwalk taking in sights and sounds

No, not that one: Diner

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Didn't like Williamsburg.... Too many derelict blocks..... especially nearer the water.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Can anybody recommend any good hotels? We are looking at the Waldorf Astoria and the New York Palace, anybody stayed there?

I stayed at the Sheraton New York towers. Was very nice, if you upgrade to a club room as we did, you get exclusive use of their club lounge for breakfast etc.... Very well placed too. Almost everything is in walking distance.

showpony

Sep 2, 2004
HH
Walk the High Line (from north to south) followed by...Greenwich / Washington Square / Chinatown / Little Italy
5 fascinating experiences, all adjacent. You could rush around them all in 3-4 hours, or put aside more time if you can, take in all the sights sounds smells, enjoy a couple of meals, but make sure you have a drink in The Mulberry Street Bar (...bit of a dive but it oozes character!)

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks all for your help. I've just booked the New Yorker hotel. What's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport? Cab? Book a transfer? Limo? Or any other suggestions?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thanks all for your help. I've just booked the New Yorker hotel. What's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport? Cab? Book a transfer? Limo? Or any other suggestions?

Which airport are you flying to?

The New Yorker is literally a few minutes walk from Penn Station, so if for example you're flying to Newark (as I am), then there's a direct train from Newark to Penn Station. I would imagine there may be similar services from other airports.

Good hotel choice btw. :thumbsup:

Also, thanks to everyone for their responses to this thread. :smile:

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Which airport are you flying to?

The New Yorker is literally a few minutes walk from Penn Station, so if for example you're flying to Newark (as I am), then there's a direct train from Newark to Penn Station. I would imagine there may be similar services from other airports.

Good hotel choice btw. :thumbsup:

Also, thanks to everyone for their responses to this thread. :smile:

I'm flying into Newark as well. Will have to look into getting the train, never though of that!

Can't wait now. Thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm flying into Newark as well. Will have to look into getting the train, never though of that!

Can't wait now. Thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

It's the way I've done it both times before when staying at the New Yorker and I intend to do the same this time.

Takes about 30 mins or so if memory serves, not too expensive and when you come out of Penn Station the New Yorker is 5 mins walk at most (almost literally just around the corner).

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The last time I came back to New York at New Year I came through Newark and it took me 90 minutes to get through Immigration – hope it’s quicker for you guys.

Really need to get my green card sorted so I can go through the US citizens channel

And the train from Newark to Penn Station is the way to go – quicker and cheaper than a cab.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The last time I came back to New York at New Year I came through Newark and it took me 90 minutes to get through Immigration – hope it’s quicker for you guys.

Really need to get my green card sorted so I can go through the US citizens channel

And the train from Newark to Penn Station is the way to go – quicker and cheaper than a cab.

US immigration is the slowest and most unwelcoming in the world. The attitude of the Home Land Security people stinks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

US immigration is the slowest and most unwelcoming in the world. The attitude of the Home Land Security people stinks.

Agreed. Philadelphia probably one of the friendliest I have seen, Miami the worse. All around timing in NY. Land after a Asian or Middle Eastern flight and you could be there hours.

I often get a 6pm from Heathrow now, usually quite quiet. Being first off helps too ;-)

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Send me a PM with your home e-mail address if you like. I have a generic 'things to do in NYC' list that I can send to anyone who wants it.

Cheers.

PM Sent. Thanks! We are thinking of going to some sort of sporting event. What sport does everyone recommend we go and watch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here