Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Well that's a coincidence. I've just woken up in Brooklyn, but you won't want to do what I'm doing because I'm working! Hoping to take in an ice hockey game tomorrow night (never been to one before) so that might be something to think about. Or a basketball game. Americans do their sport well. Tickets can be expensive though (more than it costs to watch Brighton v Newcastle!).

Anyone know exactly where the Brighton bar is?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well that's a coincidence. I've just woken up in Brooklyn, but you won't want to do what I'm doing because I'm working! Hoping to take in an ice hockey game tomorrow night (never been to one before) so that might be something to think about. Or a basketball game. Americans do their sport well. Tickets can be expensive though (more than it costs to watch Brighton v Newcastle!).

Anyone know exactly where the Brighton bar is?

Try Foleys at 18 and 33(between 5th and 6th Avenues).

Rangers tickets are well worth getting if you can, but with the lockout only just ending hockey starved fans may be less likely to sell on their tickets. Stubhub is a good website to check on.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No need for that. The food is good, but the service is very stuffy. If you look, the places I listed are as much, if not MORE expensive than Keens, but a bit nicer, younger, trendier than Keens. Just my opinion of course.
I think if younger and trendier is what you were using as a yardstick, then Keens is not for you. However if quality of meat is your thing then Keens with good service is one, and Peter Lugers with crap service the other.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think if younger and trendier is what you were using as a yardstick, then Keens is not for you. However if quality of meat is your thing then Keens with good service is one, and Peter Lugers with crap service the other.

Where else have you compared the meat to just out of interest? I've been to Keens and while you cannot argue with the food, it was the stuffy atmosphere, and a bit of attitude I got, because we were not drinking wine (!) that put me off.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Palm is my second favourite, well third if you count Lugers which has really bad service as a core deliverable..... try The Palm next time, again, like Keens you get great meat, great service, but with a less formal ambiance.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Some additional suggestions:

Ellis Island,
Ferry around Manhattan, doesnt need to be a tourist trip.
Walk the entire length of Broadway.
Manahattan museums specifically the Natural History and Intrepid.
BB Kings restaurant just off Times Square.
Visit a cinema in central Manhattan, hopefully a premier its an experience just watching the audience.
Take a train trip upstate to along the Hudson river see Sleepy Hollow, West Point, Albany (state capital).

Another vote for
Ice hockey at the MSG
Helicopter tour

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Deffinitely try and be an extra in an episode of Law and Order. Or be in the crowd passing by some atrocity!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Deffinitely try and be an extra in an episode of Law and Order. Or be in the crowd passing by some atrocity!

Don't bother with the marathon though.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Do Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre instead of the Empire State Building. Simply, when you're up the Empire State you can't see the Empire State. Go up before dusk and watch the sun fall and the city light up.

This.

Also always remember to take passport to Macy's visitor centre to get 11% off cards.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I went to a Brooklyn Nets game last month. They've got a shiny new stadium called the Barclays centre.

I highly recommend it! It's also very easy to get to by subway.

D

Deleted member 18477

I went to a Brooklyn Netsgame last month. They've got a shiny new stadium called the Barclays centre.

what happened to new jersey nets?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I went to a Brooklyn Nets game last month. They've got a shiny new stadium called the Barclays centre.

Booked me some tickets to see them play the New Orleans Hornets (not a clue). And I can't wait. Got half decent seats too so a bit closer to the action. The stadium looks superb from what I've seen. Any tips for things to do before in/around Brooklyn?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any tips for things to do before in/around Brooklyn?

Lunch at Diner and have a few beers in the hipster bars I reckon. Brooklyn is a brilliant place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Law and Order finished with series 20 in 2010 , Law and Order : Special Victims Unit is still on air and filmed in NYC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here