Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New type of fans

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?181352-Withdean-Attendance

Some interesting musings relevant to this thread.

Highlights:

- I for one dont bother going to home games,although i will go to Falmer.

- I think we will be lucky to get 12,000, let alone 20k+,

- I’m afraid to say, most fans are disillusioned about Falmer. We’ll get 7 - 8,000 max, no more.

- That means 747 BHA people who bought tickets didn't turn up. Close on 10% of our home supporters!!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?181352-Withdean-Attendance

Some interesting musings relevant to this thread.

Highlights:

- I for one dont bother going to home games,although i will go to Falmer.

- I think we will be lucky to get 12,000, let alone 20k+,

- I’m afraid to say, most fans are disillusioned about Falmer. We’ll get 7 - 8,000 max, no more.

- That means 747 BHA people who bought tickets didn't turn up. Close on 10% of our home supporters!!

Nice bounce

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wouldn't have resorted to "name calling" if the tone of your post was neutral , however I think even you will admit that "bullshit theories" will raise a bite, now Iet me address the issue of what you see as slating the Albion , for a start , I've got 4 season tickets , and have done for 3 years , my eldest is a confirmed Albion fan, and I am hardly likely to go along hoping they lose am I ? Of course I don't , I love it when "we " do well , and desperately hope we get promoted , but there is an astonishing level of delusion and self denial amongst Albion fans regarding so called "plastic" clubs and their fans , Chelsea are slated on here for the lack of atmosphere at the ground and having lots of JCL fans , both of these most definitely apply to the Albion ! The Amex is like a library 99% of the time (so is Stamford bridge) and what about the nigh on 20000 new fans that have suddenly started going now that there is a shiny new stadium and some money is being spent on the team ? Withdean had an 8500 capacity but the average gate was below 6500 a lot of the time , yet a few on here see fit to get on their high horse and slate the "JCL's and plastics" from other teams ! To me there is a high degree of similarity between the two , but these comments aren't meant to slate the Albion , I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some people, I hope that Albion get promoted and we are watching them in the premier league next season, I apologise for my personal derogatory comments and hope we can move on.
That's fine - although I disagree that 20k new fans have appeared - mainly because it's not true. I think it's more like 6-7k have started goi to games. 10k went regularly to withdean (ie it wasn't the same 7k or so each game) and I don't know where you sit but the atmosphere certainly from the north and WSU is better than a lot of games. Library isn't true. But hey thats life and I appreciate your apology too.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That's fine - although I disagree that 20k new fans have appeared - mainly because it's not true. I think it's more like 6-7k have started goi to games. 10k went regularly to withdean (ie it wasn't the same 7k or so each game) and I don't know where you sit but the atmosphere certainly from the north and WSU is better than a lot of games. Library isn't true. But hey thats life and I appreciate your apology too.

ok mate , i take your points , great tonight wasnt it !!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Feb 14, 2010
Name another club who would have got 7000-9000 for Rochdale at home in the 4th division at Withdean in the 1990s/2000s. One joker of a poster also only mentioned Withdean, no acknowledgement of Gillingham, The Goldstone, large crowds for lower league football inits history and serial decline since 1983. BHA have one asset, and that is the fan base, it is not and never has been trophies or top flight football. If the team matched the fan base then we would be a top flight side.

Last edited:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

Perhaps someone here could correct me if I'm wrong or check it but I seem to recall the Withdean ticket database had over 30,000 people - that is, 30k separate registrations who had bought home tickets. Puts the JCL argument to bed if so eh?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Perhaps someone here could correct me if I'm wrong or check it but I seem to recall the Withdean ticket database had over 30,000 people - that is, 30k separate registrations who had bought home tickets. Puts the JCL argument to bed if so eh?

Sounds about right. I'd imagine there were a good 15k who attended a home game per season at Withdean. Especially that last season. Pure guess, could even be more!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here