Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New proposed fan zone

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Reckon there will be a huge pinch point between back of North and edge of the fanzone at end of games, when all the East standers are going for train and others going round past east to get to buses….

Post-match one way system in operation?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You mean, like when the same club started charging for the Seven Stars Bar in the East Stand, and then scrapped it for 1901.

Or when the club charged admission for the usually free to get in Boxpark at Wembley.

It is not unreasonable to suggest they might charge here. But i doubt they will. I think most people suspect the motivation is to get the Dicks Space converted into more Corporate offerings, while improving the pre/post match offering/takings at the same time

Wondering whether my seats in the north shelf are safe once Dicks is assigned to corporate or whether it will be another bar for the West 1901’s

el punal

Post-match one way system in operation?
I hardly think so. Do you honestly think that fans exiting the East side of the North Stand would have to schlep all the way around the stadium to get to the station? I would imagine the club have taken everything into consideration before embarking on this project. By the way, there are currently more ‘pinch points’ before the game around the food outlets because of the queues blocking other fans trying to get elsewhere.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Wondering whether my seats in the north shelf are safe once Dicks is assigned to corporate or whether it will be another bar for the West 1901’s
Somewhere on here there is a thread with the planning application for the New look North Stand that got approved just before the Pandemic. From memory it was quite similar to the South, with the screen moved over to incorporate another shelf, dunno about the existing one. Whether they go through with it after all these years remains to be seen. Personally i hope they redo the North and bite the bullet on safe standing at the same time but whatever they dl there's going to be a few unhappy seat holders I'd guess.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’ll be shit beer so I’m out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That shelf is prime real-state at the AMEX…it won’t have gone unnoticed by PBOBE

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It will obviously be free to get in and anyone saying otherwise is just being disingenuous (although I expect upstairs will be Amex cardholders only).

Not sure why people have to knock the club for providing better facilities.
My guess is it'll always be free on match days, unless they do something like a pre-bought drinks voucher primarily to control numbers. Then, sometimes might be a fee... for screening of games etc but that doesn't seem too unreasonable to help cover costs of staging those type of events. The 'pie and pint' deals they've done in the past haven't exactly been crazy money.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My guess is it'll always be free on match days, unless they do something like a pre-bought drinks voucher primarily to control numbers. Then, sometimes might be a fee... for screening of games etc but that doesn't seem too unreasonable to help cover costs of staging those type of events. The 'pie and pint' deals they've done in the past haven't exactly been crazy money.
Yeah if we are in the Europa League semi-finals in 3 years time and they are displaying the away leg then they might charge.

But in reality would there be 1000 people interested in schlepping to the Amex just to watch a match they could see at home or in bars in Brighton. Difficult to say.

What has been the take up when they have put matches on at Dick's Bar or elsehwere in the Stadium?

Also I was thinking about the proposal by the Prince Albert and wonder whether that could steal the Albion's lunch a little bit in respect of the Fan Zone as they are similar places but one is 100x more conveniant. On match days just cover it in blue and white tat and call in an unnofficial 'fan zone'.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah if we are in the Europa League semi-finals in 3 years time and they are displaying the away leg then they might charge.

But in reality would there be 1000 people interested in schlepping to the Amex just to watch a match they could see at home or in bars in Brighton. Difficult to say.

What has been the take up when they have put matches on at Dick's Bar or elsehwere in the Stadium?

Also I was thinking about the proposal by the Prince Albert and wonder whether that could steal the Albion's lunch a little bit in respect of the Fan Zone as they are similar places but one is 100x more conveniant. On match days just cover it in blue and white tat and call in an unnofficial 'fan zone'.

These events have usually been in one of the lounges, can't see folk turning up for an outdoor venue in the winter.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
These events have usually been in one of the lounges, can't see folk turning up for an outdoor venue in the winter.
Its not an outdoor venue. Its enclosed and the plans show the flexibility to have it doors/shutters shut or open depending on the weather / time of year -as per many venues - and obviously there is heating. etc.
Again. Its improved - toilets, shelter, better range of food/drink concessions, screens, capacity - up to 1000 fans , options for non matchday usage - to what is already there. And is costing the club considerable ££ to build etc. If that's a bad thing for some - then well, fine. but honestly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Its not an outdoor venue. Its enclosed and the plans show the flexibility to have it doors/shutters shut or open depending on the weather / time of year -as per many venues - and obviously there is heating. etc.
Again. Its improved - toilets, shelter, better range of food/drink concessions, screens, capacity - up to 1000 fans , options for non matchday usage - to what is already there. And is costing the club considerable ££ to build etc. If that's a bad thing for some - then well, fine. but honestly.
I'm not dissing the facility I think it is fantastic, just wondering about likely usage outside of match days.

Agree that it is going to be a significant investment of a few million to provide better facilities and there can't be many if any clubs making that type of investment at the moment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not dissing the facility I think it is fantastic, just wondering about likely usage outside of match days.

Agree that it is going to be a significant investment of a few million to provide better facilities and there can't be many if any clubs making that type of investment at the moment.

They're hoping that they can find events, partners, the community (end of sseason awards for grassroots football clubs ? ) interested in something (that the lounges don't currently offer) - but you're right - i'm guessing it will be limited at first

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're hoping that they can find events, partners, the community (end of sseason awards for grassroots football clubs ? ) interested in something (that the lounges don't currently offer) - but you're right - i'm guessing it will be limited at first
Seem to be plenty of folks on NSC enquiring after local function rooms. Maybe there's a gap in the market there for a reasonably-priced custom-built venue that doesn't involve opening up a lounge in the stadium itself. And what with the newly-approved ugly student blocks being built right next to the stadium, it could become the go-to place for the inmates to grab a coffee or whatever, as well as taking over the club staff canteen role currently provided by Dick's Bar. I'm sure the club will have done its research and will be pretty sure of expecting a return on their investment. Not sure it will help manage people wanting to access the station after games tho, particularly after evening games. Most people will still want to get home asap

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I would say that may will be the long term plan. Also heard rumours the club shop may move to a different location on the stadium site and that space repurposed for more match day bar / food use which will mean Dicks is no longer required. I suppose it all first hinges on the fanzine happening.

I think it would be amazing if they used the club shop space to create a two floor supporters bar, the Upper floor could lead to the north stand shelf/hospitality area by escalators

Build the club shop away from the ground on one of the corners perhaps.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
This is obviously being built with the future in mind where we can count on 19 home games for the first team. If we can make the Ladies team financially viable to play there it will probably double the numbers of home games. Also like the idea of beam backs and feel there is scope there for making it the go to place for non-away supporters. meeting up with friends has to be attractive I would have thought.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is obviously being built with the future in mind where we can count on 19 home games for the first team. If we can make the Ladies team financially viable to play there it will probably double the numbers of home games. Also like the idea of beam backs and feel there is scope there for making it the go to place for non-away supporters. meeting up with friends has to be attractive I would have thought.
Indeed.

The affect on transport could be a real bonus too. If they can fill this venue for a few hours before and after the games (with attractions such as superstar DJs, audience interaction, games, competitions, ex-players, famous musicians or celebs and great food and drink) it could ease carpark and train queues/comfort to a noticeable degree.

Park the women’s new stadium next to the Amex somewhere and the jobs a good ’un!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here