Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New LB from Premier League Club - Joe Bennett Signs

danb88

Aug 15, 2014
joe bennett's history reminds me a lot of joe mattocks, strong reputation in the championship and jumps ship with the chance to play premier league where he doesnt quite make it and now has to drop back down to a championship club with a lower rating than the one at which he started.

Except bennett doesnt beat up women

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well whoever it is, and I know it's early days but BHA are 28/1 to win Championship a good investment each way. First three places 1/4 the odds = 7/1.
Any good new additions to the squad and or a win over Bolton on Saturday will see those odds tumble...IMO :mad:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
totally agree, O'grady as a replacement for Hoskins. That still leave no replacement for Barnes or Ulloa.

Somehow, we need to bag a quality physical championship striker in the 20 goal region and that will be the hardest to find and get over the line

What the hell are you talking about?

Seriously what proof do you have that he was a replacement for Hoskins, considering Hoskins barely played in two seasons, I don't think the club will be looking to replace him.

If you are thinking we will sign more than one striker, i think you will be disapointed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Chicksen has had a few games and not done too badly. Clearly has potential and it would be a shame to drop him at the moment. A run of games would do him a lot of good (hopefully).

Agree, it's been good for him having a few games to find his feet, and he is quick. He has proven his potential, and if not our first choice LB he will be a great backup who has earnt the right to fight for his place.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What the hell are you talking about?

Seriously what proof do you have that he was a replacement for Hoskins, considering Hoskins barely played in two seasons, I don't think the club will be looking to replace him.

If you are thinking we will sign more than one striker, i think you will be disapointed.

Holdup Monkfish, you've interpreted that differently........... yes Hoskins was injured and so was CMS, Hoskins came to the club as a first team striker, we also had CMS, Barnes and later Ulloa, before Ulloa Vicente, we've had 4 first team strikers on the books (although there's been 1+ on treatment table at any time). O'Grady is nothing like Ulloa, he's not CMS, and he has different qualities to Barnes. imo he is most like Hoskins, though i dont think you understood the jist of the post. i wasnt saying he's a direct replacement for hoskins, but that we've lost 3 of our 4 main first team strikers and we probably need 4 to cover injuries, suspensions as we always have done, and with O'Grady coming in replacing one, we still need another 2, and at least one more who could get 20ish goals

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Holdup Monkfish, you've interpreted that differently........... yes Hoskins was injured and so was CMS, Hoskins came to the club as a first team striker, we also had CMS, Barnes and later Ulloa, before Ulloa Vicente, we've had 4 first team strikers on the books (although there's been 1+ on treatment table at any time). O'Grady is nothing like Ulloa, he's not CMS, and he has different qualities to Barnes. imo he is most like Hoskins, though i dont think you understood the jist of the post. i wasnt saying he's a direct replacement for hoskins, but that we've lost 3 of our 4 main first team strikers and we probably need 4 to cover injuries, suspensions as we always have done, and with O'Grady coming in replacing one, we still need another 2, and at least one more who could get 20ish goals

He cannot be like Hoskins, he is not injured yet.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
This isn't even sour grapes, and it's obviously not going to be a popular opinion considering he was player of the season runner-up, but I don't think Ward was what we needed. Did well defensively but looked shit scared to get forward and run at men like Bridge did. If we're playing without wingers, it's vital we have some pace on the overlap from wing-backs IMO.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Why would we want to replace each player, with a player with the same attributes? especially one we never saw play? I personally dont agree, as you will then be expecting another player like Ulloa to come in and one like Barnes? I dont think we need two big men, we already have O'grady, our style of play has changed now and surely we want a striker who will fit that, not someone who is like barnes, someone who is like Ulloa and someone who is like hoskins?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
This isn't even sour grapes, and it's obviously not going to be a popular opinion considering he was player of the season runner-up, but I don't think Ward was what we needed. Did well defensively but looked shit scared to get forward and run at men like Bridge did. If we're playing without wingers, it's vital we have some pace on the overlap from wing-backs IMO.

Completely agree. I posted something similar on a different thread last week. I genuinely think Chicksen suits the style of play that Sami is trying to impose on the squad. His defensive attributes will only improve with game time so I'm more than happy to have him as 1st choice left (wing)back.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Why would we want to replace each player, with a player with the same attributes? especially one we never saw play? I personally dont agree, as you will then be expecting another player like Ulloa to come in and one like Barnes? I dont think we need two big men, we already have O'grady, our style of play has changed now and surely we want a striker who will fit that, not someone who is like barnes, someone who is like Ulloa and someone who is like hoskins?

If the formation last night is how we are going, we certainly need the option of a target man up front. The problem is, as we know with losing Murray and getting Ulloa, there are not a lot of them around. Now Murray was only on the bench on Saturday....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I asked a Villa fan I know about Bennett the other day. He said that he's never really got going due to unfortunate injuries that stopped him ever being able to try and establish himself. Low on confidence as a result and needs a fresh start. If we sign him it could take a little while for himbto get going but then he should be solid.

Joe Bennett might be on too high wages? Say £20K ? Has he got the pace?

I though Stephen Ward was ideal. Chicksen was very (=extremely) worrying at first defensively (especially vs Derby) but it sounded like he played OK against Byram.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes, hes pretty quick, not lightning but still quick.

In the Championship lightning quick is not needed for a full back. Just ordinary quick will do.

However, very quick would be a bonus (like Bridge) as the rest of the defence is not blessed with pace and when opponents break away sometimes we can get caught with lack of ordinary pace at the back. Heading ability would be an added bonus as well as some opponents favour the very deep cross to the far post.

danb88

Aug 15, 2014
In the Championship lightning quick is not needed for a full back. Just ordinary quick will do.

However, very quick would be a bonus (like Bridge) as the rest of the defence is not blessed with pace and when opponents break away sometimes we can get caught with lack of ordinary pace at the back. Heading ability would be an added bonus as well as some opponents favour the very deep cross to the far post.

I have seen a goal in pre season he scored against houston i think which was a header . I think he will be better at a new club , sounds like villa got on his back a bit

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree. I posted something similar on a different thread last week. I genuinely think Chicksen suits the style of play that Sami is trying to impose on the squad. His defensive attributes will only improve with game time so I'm more than happy to have him as 1st choice left (wing)back.

Me too, happy for Chicksen to get more game time, I like what I've seen of him.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have seen a goal in pre season he scored against houston i think which was a header . I think he will be better at a new club , sounds like villa got on his back a bit

I have heard that this was a rarity. Defensive positioning fro headers more so.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I have heard that this was a rarity. Defensive positioning for headers more so.

danb88

Aug 15, 2014
@lauriewhitwell: Joe Bennett taking a medical at Brighton today with view to a season-long loan move #avfc #bhafc more at @MailSport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here