Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New LB from Premier League Club - Joe Bennett Signs

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Saw a report this morning that Spurs are letting Assou-Ekotto go. Very unlikely we'd be interested I suppose but he was playing Championship football for most of last year.

Wasn't he with QPR last season?

I seem to recall being distinctly unimpressed with him, as per most of their overpaid "stars".

He's always struck me as the mercenary type, doesn't give a toss where he plays as long as the money is right. I'm not sure I want that in an Albion shirt.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
a look at older posts on Boros forum suggest he was quality in this league for them.

Even the bad Villa opinions seem to acknowledge he is good going forward.

Perfect for Sami's system you'd hope.

Striker next !

A balanced Villa supporting mate says "Yeah he was not awful last year. Just a little lightweight and tactically naive, will defo do a job though."

I think he'll be fine.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Remember

Bridge was a busted flush when he came to us
Ward had been part of a double relegation.

They turned out well. Bennett's proven at this level and Villa thought enough of him to pay nearly £3m for him.

Exactly. From what I recall, Wolves fans had nothing but abuse for Stephen Ward, who then went on to be one of our top performers last season.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Wasn't he with QPR last season?

I seem to recall being distinctly unimpressed with him, as per most of their overpaid "stars".

He's always struck me as the mercenary type, doesn't give a toss where he plays as long as the money is right. I'm not sure I want that in an Albion shirt.

He went to school with a guy I work with.

He said he doesn't know anything about football, and still was turning up to their house parties in NW France a few years ago in his Bentley.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Be good if people could give Bennett a chance (if it's indeed him we're signing).

Just because Villa fans don't rate him, it doesn't follow that he's shit. Maybe he lost confidence playing in their relegation threatened side. Hopefully he's one of those who've struggled in a Premier League team but just need the chance to find their feet & thrive in the Championship.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He went to school with a guy I work with.

He said he doesn't know anything about football, and still was turning up to their house parties in NW France a few years ago in his Bentley.

You've just confirmed my suspicions.

No thanks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This looks like a very promising signing for us.

He's clearly struggled in the Prem but has been hampered by injuries in his 2 years at Villa, but excelled while at Boro in the Championship -my Boro-supporting mate really rated him. If he does well here I could see us trying to make this a permanent move.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh bloody hell, please not another loan. Are we not allowed to have a decent permanent LB? We just lose them each season if they're any good.

The arrangement seems to have worked out very well for us in each of the last 2 seasons.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My Boro mate on Joe Bennett

For your sake I hope this is not true.

We sold him to Villa a couple of years ago for a ridiculous fee out of nowhere. And every Villa fan has been bemused by it since. Essentially he is number 1 villain over there. He loves to get forward, but he has no end product and cannot defend. Period.

Hopefully just some Twitter nonsense.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Everybody moans that we havent signed someone.

We are linked to signing someone and everyone moans that he is no good, just a loan etc.

There is no winning.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
The arrangement seems to have worked out very well for us in each of the last 2 seasons.

True, but look what happened with Ward. If we don't get them permanently, they leave at the end of the season. I understand when it's a bridge type situation when we have a unique opportunity to get a player who we can't normally afford, but surely we could get Bennett permanently. It's clear Villa don't want him.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
We need to get Adam Virgo playing upfront for us again. Some perspective would be nice.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Joe Bennett might be on too high wages? Say £20K ? Has he got the pace?

I though Stephen Ward was ideal. Chicksen was very (=extremely) worrying at first defensively (especially vs Derby) but it sounded like he played OK against Byram.

Correction:
I have just seen the highlights. Chicksen looks just as dodgy as before.

A new left back is essential. Experience and a bit of pace would help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here