[Football] Nathan Jones

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well 10 months later he's unemployed and tainted, another young manager with a big failure on his CV. He'll be lucky to get the equivalent of the old Luton job now. Paul Ince anyone?

Agreed. He raised his own "Bar" by going in and openly saying . " I'm gonna bring you young hungry athletic players" then he signs Lee Gregory as his " Talisman Striker ".

Lee is a grafter but none of the above so as soon as he equated Lee to that. Everyone would have been aware that he didn't really know what he was talking about.

I would never knock Lee for his effort. But I've seen lots of him as a player and he is a true and honest lad but he was never gonna be the guy to get you promoted.

Don't know who had watched him before he was signed but they hadn't watched him enough in my opinion.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Are you speaking from your own bias as one of the fans who never liked Jones?

No, it is an observation-nothing more. The fact is that Jones moved to Stoke without the staff he had at Luton. Luton didn't miss a beat when he left. Jones struggled at Stoke.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The most perfect synopsis I have ever seen. And if they had moved after maybe say 8 games they might have turned it around but to wait till your 6 wins off the play offs with 23 clubs ahead of you. You shouldn't be surprised that it gets harder to find someone with the skills to turn it around for you.

Stoke Owners are good people. So I hope they find what they need.

But only if the City of Stoke has a rethink and votes for Jezza in the Election.
The citizens of Stoke are plenty intelligent enough to realise that voting for Jezza ain't going to get them a Brexit, which is what 64% of them want. Weird comment to put on a football thread anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The citizens of Stoke are plenty intelligent enough to realise that voting for Jezza ain't going to get them a Brexit, which is what 64% of them want. Weird comment to put on a football thread anyway.

Yes, come on [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] there are plenty of political threads to state your opinion on.

That’s why I avoid them [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No, it is an observation-nothing more. The fact is that Jones moved to Stoke without the staff he had at Luton. Luton didn't miss a beat when he left. Jones struggled at Stoke.

Swansea have done very well since Potter left and he took his staff with him, so your deductive argument is flawed. I think you will find that what Jones had to work with is a squad full of divas on their way out and any manager there had to work from scratch. This is also why no manager has jumped at the chance to go there.

I suspect that you have a bias against Jones but I won't hold it against you if you are honest about it?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Swansea have done very well since Potter left and he took his staff with him, so your deductive argument is flawed. I think you will find that what Jones had to work with is a squad full of divas on their way out and any manager there had to work from scratch. This is also why no manager has jumped at the chance to go there.

I suspect that you have a bias against Jones but I won't hold it against you if you are honest about it?

Swansea's new manager bought his own team in with him-what that has in common with Jones going to Stoke I don't know because the situations are totally different. Hyypia arrived here without his support team just as Jones arived at Stoke without his. Both were disasters whilst their previous clubs got on without them. Where's the flawed argument? No doubt you'll find something. As for your 'not holding it against me' re: Jones-I really don't give a damn either way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Whereas many have a bias for him, simply because of his Albion past, and not necessaily based on his managerial ability.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Swansea's new manager bought his own team in with him-what that has in common with Jones going to Stoke I don't know because the situations are totally different. Hyypia arrived here without his support team just as Jones arived at Stoke without his. Both were disasters whilst their previous clubs got on without them. Where's the flawed argument? No doubt you'll find something. As for your 'not holding it against me' re: Jones-I really don't give a damn either way.

Why can't you just be honest that your bias has a massive influence on your opinion. We all know that Jones is Marmite on here. However he played an important role coaching under Garcia to help with the emergency transition from Poyet and had to be very much hands on including verbally with the language barrier. We got to the playoffs with him.

He also played a very big part at the start of Hughton's first full season and when he left for Luton there was a drop in form after a blistering start.

His success at here and at Luton mitigates his failure when taking on the poison chalice of Stoke.

I haven't got a problem with people not liking Marmite btw. There is no shame admitting it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why can't you just be honest that your bias has a massive influence on your opinion. We all know that Jones is Marmite on here. However he played an important role coaching under Garcia to help with the emergency transition from Poyet and had to be very much hands on including verbally with the language barrier. We got to the playoffs with him.

He also played a very big part at the start of Hughton's first full season and when he left for Luton there was a drop in form after a blistering start.

His success at here and at Luton mitigates his failure when taking on the poison chalice of Stoke.

I haven't got a problem with people not liking Marmite btw. There is no shame admitting it.

So you know how I think now as well as completely missing the point? Bye bye.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't think Nathan Jones played a massive part in CH first season at Albion. A small part in that he might be monitoring players playing in U23s on the way back from injury perhaps.

I have no idea whether Jones was responsible for the success at Luton but he was the Manager, so you have to assume that he was responsible for the majority of what went well.

Stoke he falls down but whether he took over a load of ''Divas'' or not - Part of his remit would have been to rid the Club of that and implement his own style. He failed.

He brought in 12 new players of his own in the summer and got 2 wins from 14 or 15 games in charge. You have to be able to Man Manage every type of player and if he couldn't get players to play for him he should get rid of them or simply not play them but then you have to rely on your new players being good enough and sadly his 12 new players, half of them couldn't get in the team because they weren't good enough. Perhaps that was the failure of the Recruitment department but sadly as is so often the case. If the Recruitment team fail then the Manager is the one who ''caries the can'' for that failure - That may or not have been the case with Nathan but he has to learn from that failure and if he doesn't then he won't last long in Management at the Higher Levels of football.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think Nathan Jones played a massive part in CH first season at Albion. A small part in that he might be monitoring players playing in U23s on the way back from injury perhaps.

I have no idea whether Jones was responsible for the success at Luton but he was the Manager, so you have to assume that he was responsible for the majority of what went well.

Stoke he falls down but whether he took over a load of ''Divas'' or not - Part of his remit would have been to rid the Club of that and implement his own style. He failed.

He brought in 12 new players of his own in the summer and got 2 wins from 14 or 15 games in charge. You have to be able to Man Manage every type of player and if he couldn't get players to play for him he should get rid of them or simply not play them but then you have to rely on your new players being good enough and sadly his 12 new players, half of them couldn't get in the team because they weren't good enough. Perhaps that was the failure of the Recruitment department but sadly as is so often the case. If the Recruitment team fail then the Manager is the one who ''caries the can'' for that failure - That may or not have been the case with Nathan but he has to learn from that failure and if he doesn't then he won't last long in Management at the Higher Levels of football.

I said he played a massive part in our great start to Hughton's first season and we faded when he left. He was Hughton's right hand man at the time just like he was under Garcia when we reached the playoffs.

For all intent and purposes he did very well for us and helped with the man management of our players after the fallout with Poyet and his man management skills clearly worked well at Luton.

So if the Recruitment department failed as you suggest could have been the problem, then it's still the failure of Jones ???

If she floats she's a witch and if she drowns she is innocent. Hahahaha

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Soke was a great opportunity for him and failure all down to him. He had summer to prepare and got a lot of players in that have are not up to it. This can so often put a club in trouble with new players on long contracts not wanted by new manager.Stoke will be ok in long run as one of few clubs like Brighton owned by a supporter.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I said he played a massive part in our great start to Hughton's first season and we faded when he left. He was Hughton's right hand man at the time just like he was under Garcia when we reached the playoffs.

For all intent and purposes he did very well for us and helped with the man management of our players after the fallout with Poyet and his man management skills clearly worked well at Luton.

So if the Recruitment department failed as you suggest could have been the problem, then it's still the failure of Jones ???

If she floats she's a witch and if she drowns she is innocent. Hahahaha

Nathan Jones was never CHs ''Right Hand Man'' I can assure you.

Also I never said ''Any Recruitment Failure'' at Stoke was ''Nathan's Failure'' - I said as is normal with any recruitment failure the manager usually ''carries the can'' for that failure

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Complete and utter tosh. Chris Hughton's first job was to save us from relegation. I can remember seeing posts complaining about our defensive style, but most put up with it at the time because we needed to stay up. There was no blistering start.

The next full season, we got to the playoffs, the third season promoted, then two years in the Premier League.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Complete and utter tosh. Chris Hughton's first job was to save us from relegation. I can remember seeing posts complaining about our defensive style, but most put up with it at the time because we needed to stay up. There was no blistering start.

The next full season, we got to the playoffs, the third season promoted, then two years in the Premier League.

Really Thunder???

I said, He also played a very big part at the start of Hughton's first full season What does the start of the first full season mean??? Remember when we got off to a flying start and Kaz was knocking them in for fun. Start of his first full season?

If you read what I actually wrote it was not complete and utter tosh. Apology accepted.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Really Thunder???

I said, He also played a very big part at the start of Hughton's first full season What does the start of the first full season mean??? Remember when we got off to a flying start and Kaz was knocking them in for fun. Start of his first full season?

If you read what I actually wrote it was not complete and utter tosh. Apology accepted.

He wasn't hardly involved with the First Team by then

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not rushing to consider un-ignoring this particular Charlie judging by the scornful replies. :timmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports