Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's strange how he got from doing everything so very right at Luton to everything so very wrong at Stoke.

SHould be interesting if their next manager can turn it around or they were doomed as a group of players from the start.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Most contracts have a max payout clause in so he won't get the full thing paid up I suspect

He'll have done alright though I'm sure.

Was always on a hiding to nothing in that dressing room though, with a bunch of former PL players and a sprinkling of Internationals. They'd be looking at him (Southend, Brighton, Yeovil, Luton) thinking "who the f*ck are you then ?". Chewed him up and spat him out.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
9 months into a 3.5 year contract, NJ will have landed a fair old bit of bunce today.

International break coming up so there'll be some more sackings this month. He'll have his pick of a couple of noddy clubs soon I should think.
I would be quite happy to be sacked with 3 to 4 years salary.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not surprised to be honest but I think he's a good manager, Stoke has is a bit of a poison challis since Pullis time in charge it's similar to Man United since Fergusons time

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's strange how he got from doing everything so very right at Luton to everything so very wrong at Stoke.

SHould be interesting if their next manager can turn it around or they were doomed as a group of players from the start.
I think he was similar to Hyppia was in Germany. Both had good people around them who stayed at their clubs exposing their (Jones and Hyppia) respective weaknesses.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He'll have done alright though I'm sure.

Was always on a hiding to nothing in that dressing room though, with a bunch of former PL players and a sprinkling of Internationals. They'd be looking at him (Southend, Brighton, Yeovil, Luton) thinking "who the f*ck are you then ?". Chewed him up and spat him out.

Jones should never have taken that job, I couldn't think of a worse Championship club he could have gone to.

At the time Stoke needed an experienced manager with Championship promotion pedigree of the ilk of Allardyce, Moyes, Pearson and they went for someone young with zero Championship managerial experience.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Jones should never have taken that job, I couldn't think of a worse Championship club he could have gone to.

At the time Stoke needed an experienced manager with Championship promotion pedigree of the ilk of Allardyce, Moyes, Pearson and they went for someone young with zero Championship managerial experience.

Yep. I can understand why he was tempted but he could have done with Luton what Howe has done with Bournemouth.

Luton also have plans for a new 23,000 stadium so they do have ambition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-48363296

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sorry, but its all about the money (money, money).

I don't doubt that he went there with the best intentions and gave it his all. The 'worst case scenario' has just played out though, and he's been binned. But its a very rich binning. If I'd have been in his shoes, I would 100% have left Luton and taken that job. He's come out MINTED, and will get another crack somewhere else, albeit almost certainly under the Championship.

He'd have been mental to turn Stoke down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, but its all about the money (money, money).

I don't doubt that he went there with the best intentions and gave it his all. The 'worst case scenario' has just played out though, and he's been binned. But its a very rich binning. If I'd have been in his shoes, I would 100% have left Luton and taken that job. He's come out MINTED, and will get another crack somewhere else, albeit almost certainly under the Championship.

He'd have been mental to turn Stoke down.

Well 10 months later he's unemployed and tainted, another young manager with a big failure on his CV. He'll be lucky to get the equivalent of the old Luton job now. Paul Ince anyone?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Curbishley had two jobs and succeeded in both, I cant understand why he always get shit on when mentioned.

Agreed but he has been out of the game too long. George Graham, Kenny Dagleish and Kevin Keegan were successful managers. You wouldn't appoint them now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well 10 months later he's unemployed and tainted, another young manager with a big failure on his CV. He'll be lucky to get the equivalent of the old Luton job now. Paul Ince anyone?

I made the same argument a few weeks ago, Pav. People say he'll get a big pay-off but he's a young manager with potential 30 years ahead of him. He would have been better sticking to Luton - two promotions on a CV in a first managerial job looks great. Now he's got the reputation of taking the costliest side in the division to the relegation zone. Yes, he's been rewarded but at what cost.

And as Iago so pointedly pointed out: money isn't everything
"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,"
And makes me poor indeed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Talking with a lifelong Stoke fans back in September, he felt the big picture was that billionaire owner Coates had screwed the club by appointing and persisting with Mark Hughes, as well as allowing the squad to age in their latter PL days. That Lambert, Rowett, Jones and the next ones had/have a very difficult job to get them back to the PL.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The most perfect synopsis I have ever seen. And if they had moved after maybe say 8 games they might have turned it around but to wait till your 6 wins off the play offs with 23 clubs ahead of you. You shouldn't be surprised that it gets harder to find someone with the skills to turn it around for you.

Stoke Owners are good people. So I hope they find what they need.

But only if the City of Stoke has a rethink and votes for Jezza in the Election.

Anyone who earns less than 40k per annum or who survives on Benefits.

If they don't vote Labour. The are off their heads

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here