Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My brother's restaurant 'La Gaviota' is in trouble...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Firebomb the place and claim on the insurance - thats what they did in The Sopranos.

It could be the sources - try a new recipe

Or put the prices up reduce the quality of the food and blame it on trading standards thats what they did in The Amexos,

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Part of the problem has to be the "specials" that keep being added to the menu, most are usually pretty good when they first appear, but they rapidly become dull and tasteless as the rest of the menu once the chef starts messing with them.

Has he considered getting an experienced sous chef on board? I've heard the good ones can really make a difference.

He needs to do something soon, no point having a beautiful restaurant with plush furnishings with hardly any customers to fill it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think your brother is the problem, I went in there in the Summer and he promised that the menu was changing and that If I came back around the end of August I would not be dissapointed, well i took him at his word and did just that in fact I've been there sevral times and can report that the menu is the worst slop i've ever had to endure in the years i've been going to restaurants. Trouble is where I live its the only restaurant for miles around and the location and restaurant itself are gorgeous so I imagine Ill keep going. Rumours Ive heard are that your brother is looking to replace the chef with an experienced English one??

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think your brother is the problem, I went in there in the Summer and he promised that the menu was changing and that If I came back around the end of August I would not be dissapointed, well i took him at his word and did just that in fact I've been there sevral times and can report that the menu is the worst slop i've ever had to endure in the years i've been going to restaurants. Trouble is where I live its the only restaurant for miles around and the location and restaurant itself are gorgeous so I imagine Ill keep going. Rumours Ive heard are that your brother is looking to replace the chef with an experienced English one??

Not sure it'll work. Would get stodgy English fare, does the job but doesn't taste great.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The restaurant business is one of the hardest. How many restaurants last more than a few years? Not that many. To be successful a restaurant needs to score highly in the following;

Quality of food
Service
Value for money
Ambience

If they can score highly in all the above they will succeed. If they fail on any one of the first three they will almost, certainly, fail.

There is a restaurant near me which serves superlative food, at prices that are high, but not unreasonable for the standard of food provided, in a very comfortable and relaxed setting. Unfortunately the service is appaling, brusque and unhelpful, so we don't go back and neither do many others. Crazy.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My brother, who is a stubborn man, owns a restaurant but it is going downhill fast and I don't know how to help him.

He has other business interests and pays his wife a big salary to run the place while he's not around. She thinks she's running a swanky eaterie in Mayfair judging by the high prices she charges, and the place is immaculate.

My brother used to have a top chef and the Spanish cuisine he prepared was very popular, but they fell out and the chef went on to be successful at another restaurant. His replacement was also good but they also fell out, whereupon he hired a third chef. This guy had been briefly successful in London but had had something of a nervous breakdown and was eager for a second chance.

The problem seems to be the food. My brother has got rid of some old favourites off the menu and his wife seems to have gone for cheaper ingredients. The chef has introduced some strange choices and they don't seem to have gone down well with the punters. Consequently a lot of them have stopped going and the place seems very empty at times.

In fact the food, if I'm honest, is disgusting. Nothing tastes good, and I take my family more out of a sense of duty than anything else. The Sous Chef has been there a while, he's loyal but hasn't got the talent to step up. I know my brother doesn't want to have to hire another chef again, and I think he feels sorry for this one. I'm worried he's losing money and will make more bad decisions, or be forced to sell. The way things are going what used to be a wonderful, popular family-run will be turned into a McDonald's, and that would be a shame.

touche old boy.....!!

My brother, who is a stubborn man, owns a restaurant but it is going downhill fast and I don't know how to help him.

He has other business interests and pays his wife a big salary to run the place while he's not around. She thinks she's running a swanky eaterie in Mayfair judging by the high prices she charges, and the place is immaculate.

My brother used to have a top chef and the Spanish cuisine he prepared was very popular, but they fell out and the chef went on to be successful at another restaurant. His replacement was also good but they also fell out, whereupon he hired a third chef. This guy had been briefly successful in London but had had something of a nervous breakdown and was eager for a second chance.

The problem seems to be the food. My brother has got rid of some old favourites off the menu and his wife seems to have gone for cheaper ingredients. The chef has introduced some strange choices and they don't seem to have gone down well with the punters. Consequently a lot of them have stopped going and the place seems very empty at times.

In fact the food, if I'm honest, is disgusting. Nothing tastes good, and I take my family more out of a sense of duty than anything else. The Sous Chef has been there a while, he's loyal but hasn't got the talent to step up. I know my brother doesn't want to have to hire another chef again, and I think he feels sorry for this one. I'm worried he's losing money and will make more bad decisions, or be forced to sell. The way things are going what used to be a wonderful, popular family-run will be turned into a McDonald's, and that would be a shame.

My advice is tip off the council to do an inspection then have a dump on the floor just as they arrive and stop including the tip in the bill!

That place has had too many health warning issued over the years. Even soup kitchen users don't want to go there on their 3 for 1 nights.

Nearly fully booked most of the time and not nearly as many empty seats as other West Sussex venues :amex:
Might have had some issues in the past but it's still a premium rated restaurant:wink:
The Op needs to ask an unemployed Scottish head chef Mr D Greedman to bring his knife set and chop up the deadwood currently serving up the poo at the La Gavitoa :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here