Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My brother's restaurant 'La Gaviota' is in trouble...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The worst part about running a restaurant is that every ******* in the place thinks they know how to cook the best steak, prepare the best menu and run the finances!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My brother, who is a stubborn man, owns a restaurant but it is going downhill fast and I don't know how to help him.

He has other business interests and pays his wife a big salary to run the place while he's not around. She thinks she's running a swanky eaterie in Mayfair judging by the high prices she charges, and the place is immaculate.

My brother used to have a top chef and the Spanish cuisine he prepared was very popular, but they fell out and the chef went on to be successful at another restaurant. His replacement was also good but they also fell out, whereupon he hired a third chef. This guy had been briefly successful in London but had had something of a nervous breakdown and was eager for a second chance.

The problem seems to be the food. My brother has got rid of some old favourites off the menu and his wife seems to have gone for cheaper ingredients. The chef has introduced some strange choices and they don't seem to have gone down well with the punters. Consequently a lot of them have stopped going and the place seems very empty at times.

In fact the food, if I'm honest, is disgusting. Nothing tastes good, and I take my family more out of a sense of duty than anything else. The Sous Chef has been there a while, he's loyal but hasn't got the talent to step up. I know my brother doesn't want to have to hire another chef again, and I think he feels sorry for this one. I'm worried he's losing money and will make more bad decisions, or be forced to sell. The way things are going what used to be a wonderful, popular family-run will be turned into a McDonald's, and that would be a shame.

My mate had a restaurant in Cardiff,he had difficulties as well,he went for a total rebranding even down to to uniforms.Employed whizz kids and marketing chaps to tell the customers they were wrong and really didnt know best......even though the customers could smell bullshit at 100 paces.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You need to appoint new caterers and put some PIES on the menu.

10/10 thread by the way Mr OP! Worthy of NSC gold ;)

It's clever but it falls well short of GOLD territory, there's no binfest, no flounce, no ganging up, not even any amusing pictures.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't help when the wife started talking about being 'Michelin Star ready'.

Outstanding OP, definitely GOLD.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
All good stuff. And once the suits have had a read, this could be the first time a football club's management has been brought to its knees by a combination of clever metaphor and biting satire. Keep it up, chaps!

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe they should freshen up the drinks menu ? Harvey's is so old fashioned these days.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Living away from home I haven't been around to witness at first hand the food at La Gaviota going down hill so badly, although friends tell me it's shocking. When I lived in the UK I'd eat there with friends every other Saturday and sometimes for a spot of supper midweek. I was planning to take a trip there on Boxing Day but if the clueless chef is still running the kitchen that day maybe I'll give it a miss.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Perhaps recruiting some new staff in the New Year would perk things up a bit, create a better atmosphere in the restaurant, increase sales... good news all round?

or maybe, it is just time to give up any notion of fine dining and become a greasy spoon serving all-day-breakfasts?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
History may well be kinder on your brother. I am told he was introduced to La Gaviota by his uncle at a very young age, and having made a fortune, wanted to take the place over to invest a considerable amount to bring it up to date, The new restaurant is fabulous and has attracted a record amount of punters, even though some do not like the out of town location. Also his long term commitment in investing in a state of the art training facility, where the apprentices receive a fantastic grounding, bodes well for the future.

His predecessor was a lovely old chap and was very popular with the punters as he spent so much time walking around the tables. However going to La Gaviota was quite strange as he kept relocating the place and he hired and fired his head chefs at a bewildering pace. The previous owner was quite unpleasant- a Northener who regarded the place as a cash machine, obtained planning permission for change of use and then scarpered leaving the punters in the lurch.

Coming back to the present it is a real shame how things are at present. I went last Friday and it was noticeable that a number of punters started arguing about the food. The atmosphere was not helped by some yobbos from South London who seemed the worse for wear. Time, I think, for your brother to take a grip and get the place back on track.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Position vacant: Chef Required.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Position vacant: Chef Required.

Well the Nordic menu of the previous chef was somewhat confused and I like many punters was perplexed by some previous favourites missing, the lack of side dishes and absence of a set menu.
That said I know many of the clientele are keen on getting a chef in with a real passion for food, even if there only previous experience is as a commis chef at a Michelin starred establishment. I'm not sure if this is the way forward or if bringing in a head chef who has greatly improved a lesser establishment is the way forward. Of course there are several known and experienced chefs available but some have dubious records on closer inspection while others may have demands La Gaviota is unable to meet.
I have no idea which may prove the best way forward but I am distinctly uneasy at the thought of what fare the current sous chef may serve up while he has the reigns.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I used to be a regular but have been trying different restaurants this year. I was quite encouraged by the fayre on offer at Les Loups until the Spanish waiter slipped over and crashed feet first into my table. Anyway I have booked a table at la Gaviota in the upstairs section on Friday and go with low expectations but expect there may be a special on the blackboard that will whet my appetite. I have to admit that I am more excited by the Cottage Pie on Monday though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seems to be running a limited menu suddenly. Apparently they have an agency chef and the owner is away.

I'm hearing of a new approach in January. Certain dishes taken off and others coming in. This should depend on the new Chef.

I think the tables and chairs could do with moving around a little. It looks a bit overcrowded in the middle with a few old wobbly tables at the back.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here