Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray's Penalty Shout!

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
I think he got the ball but took Murray with him. I think Murray would have got the ball after which i the main factor so I think it was a pen.
I was sitting behind the goal yesterday aswell so had a decent view of it. Think it would have been a lot harder to see it from south stand.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My reaction at the time was he got the ball and it wasn't, the push in the back on Wood was definitely dodgy though.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
From where i was sat at the front of the North Stand, bang in front of the incident, it never looked like a pen, keeper judged it right, even though everyone around us was howling for the pen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Clutching at straws, it was no penalty.

Again?

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

There's the laws of the game. Show me where it says getting the ball allows you to take the player out. Show me anywhere in the laws that says careless or reckless challenges are defined by how much contact is made with the ball.

How exactly is highlighting the laws of the game 'clutching at straws'. I'd accept criticisms of pedantry, maybe even jobsworth or stickler for rules, but clutching at straws?

In my opinion, it's the archaic "football is a contact sport" attitude that follows through with tactics such as "lets see if they like it up them" and "let them know they're in for a game" which is stopping the english game developing the skills needed to compete on an international stage.

Football has moved on from the good ol' days of smokers plodding up the wing on muddy fields with glove-less keepers picking up back passes. It's time english football attitudes moved on too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

You'd be happy to see that given against you then? And call me archaic then because I do not agree with the "any contact at all and it is a foul" way of thinking, I suppose you are happy to see players rolling around in 'agony' after the tidiest of challenges because they know it might get them something, or the way a huge number of strikers first thought once they get into the box is to go down like a sack of potatoes then shout and swear at the ref when it isn't given because that is what the rules encourage, or the way that the lightest brush against the keeper during a corner or freekick is rewarded with an instantaneous free kick, regardless of whether or not any sort of foul was committed. I play and watch basketball, a non contact sport and you see much more contact in that which they don't even think about which would stop the game in football. Football might have moved on, doesn't mean it's going in the right direction.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Ackers seriously that is utter crap. It was a coming together after davis palmed the ball out of Murray's stride. I could turn it on it's head and say it was a free kick to Davis after what some have come out with. "Davis came out and won the ball, changing it's direction before coming together with Murray who was in the way and making no attempt to move towards the ball, therefore obstructing Davis from continuing his motion towards the ball".

See how ridiculous that sounds? That's what you sound like to me and a few others.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
Whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. It's the same as any foul - it doesn't matter if you get the ball, what matters is how safe the challenge is. This was a challenge that ignored Murray's safety and resulted in him going off injured.

The challenge the keeper made was only ever going to result in him taking Murray out, regardless of whether he gets the ball, which makes it a foul.

1. keeper got the ball
2. ball went flying away and he never would of got it
3. keepers get more protection then anyone and they seem to be allowed to do this if they get any of the ball where as a player is different! But not really relevant as the keeper got so much of the ball.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've seen it given against us (eg Kuipers at Hudds) and the striker wasn't injured. Are people saying that Murray dived? It was a hell of a dive to rip his shoulder ligaments.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suppose you are happy to see players rolling around in 'agony' after the tidiest of challenges because they know it might get them something, or the way a huge number of strikers first thought once they get into the box is to go down like a sack of potatoes then shout and swear at the ref when it isn't given because that is what the rules encourage, or the way that the lightest brush against the keeper during a corner or freekick is rewarded with an instantaneous free kick, regardless of whether or not any sort of foul was committed.

How on earth did you get to that conclusion? Just because I think football should be about ball skills and not rough challenges it means I support diving? It means I support people dropping to the ground at the slightest touch? Give over.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
How on earth did you get to that conclusion? Just because I think football should be about ball skills and not rough challenges it means I support diving? It means I support people dropping to the ground at the slightest touch? Give over.

Tackling is a skill.

hshaw

Dec 30, 2010
hove
from s block it most certainly was not a penalty murray played the ball to far out his reach for it to be reckless

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
you're going to get contact in the tackle, two people battling for one ball is always going to end in some form of contact.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
firstly anybody that posts a still photo claiming it supports a penalty needs their head examining. I think Davies definitely got the ball first and therefore no pen but I think Murray was looking for one and perhaps had he been quicker he would have got to the ball and either earned a pen or gone round the keeper and scored.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was virtually level with it on the North side and the goalie got a very firm hand on the ball. Never a penalty.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
I was in the Family Stand also, and it looked like a nailed on penalty to me too!! It also doesn't matter where the player kicks the ball. If he's brought down in the box "illegally" it is a foul and therefore a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here