Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray's Penalty Shout!

pigin stripes

Jul 18, 2003
Hove
murrey17.jpg

From the Family Stand yesterday.

Murray had gone past the keeper who has gone to ground he did not touch the ball, just our Glenn...........it was a clear penalty :(

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
i am 90% sure he got the ball, although you were in a better position than me, but only just. I was in W block

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. It's the same as any foul - it doesn't matter if you get the ball, what matters is how safe the challenge is. This was a challenge that ignored Murray's safety and resulted in him going off injured.

The challenge the keeper made was only ever going to result in him taking Murray out, regardless of whether he gets the ball, which makes it a foul.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Clutching at straws there Acker. Football is a contact sport, although nothing like it once was, this is because of people like you coming out with tripe like that.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Clutching at straws there Acker. Football is a contact sport, although nothing like it once was, this is because of people like you coming out with tripe like that.

Sweet, so we can tell Calderon he can jump into tackles like he did against Charlton again (one where he got sent off)? He clearly won the ball so it's not a foul.
I must have missed the change in rules where it says as long as you win the ball, you can get away with murder. Awesome :thumbsup:

Okay that was me being sarcastic but you can't just do anything you like and get away with it just because you win the ball?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Sweet, so we can tell Calderon he can jump into tackles like he did against Charlton again (one where he got sent off)? He clearly won the ball so it's not a foul.
I must have missed the change in rules where it says as long as you win the ball, you can get away with murder. Awesome :thumbsup:

Okay that was me being sarcastic but you can't just do anything you like and get away with it just because you win the ball?

I didn't see that tackle, so can't really comment. If he jumped in with two feet, then that should be a sending off. If you jump in with one foot win the ball cleanly, that should be ok. If you slide in a long the floor with two feet, that should be fine as you arn't going to break a leg. keepers can slide in and kncok the ball away, they're at more risk than the attacking player as they are going in torso first, not foot first.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

There's the laws of the game. Show me where it says getting the ball allows you to take the player out. Show me anywhere in the laws that says careless or reckless challenges are defined by how much contact is made with the ball.

How exactly is highlighting the laws of the game 'clutching at straws'. I'd accept criticisms of pedantry, maybe even jobsworth or stickler for rules, but clutching at straws?

In my opinion, it's the archaic "football is a contact sport" attitude that follows through with tactics such as "lets see if they like it up them" and "let them know they're in for a game" which is stopping the english game developing the skills needed to compete on an international stage.

Football has moved on from the good ol' days of smokers plodding up the wing on muddy fields with glove-less keepers picking up back passes. It's time english football attitudes moved on too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. It's the same as any foul - it doesn't matter if you get the ball, what matters is how safe the challenge is. This was a challenge that ignored Murray's safety and resulted in him going off injured.

The challenge the keeper made was only ever going to result in him taking Murray out, regardless of whether he gets the ball, which makes it a foul.

I agree. When Kuipers was red carded at Huddersfield, he had got the ball in his hands but because he brought the striker down, it was off and a penalty to follow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Acker is so right this attitude that he got the ball has been spouted by the pundits on TV as a reason for not giving a penalty when it is totally immaterial whether the player got the ball or not, it is the manner in which this was achieved that is the answer as to a penalty or not.

On this one I didnt get a good enough look to make a judgement but I would have been suprised if that idiot of a ref had given it as he was appalling.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
where does it say he can't touch him? it doesn't. fair play from Davis.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Definitely not a penalty in my view as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not seen a replay but my thought at the time was that the 'keeper got the ball and Murray made a meal of it. No penalty.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Clutching at straws, it was no penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here