Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For what breach of community guidelines would you suggest a mod acts in this case? "Attention seeking" is hardly due cause. If it were, about 50 posters would be banned! Being a complete twunt, perhaps? Ditto.

RIP Jo Cox.
So we can hijack a thread concerning a shocking tragedy with repeated political garbage.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Awful incident. So much hate in this world and the current referendum is only fuelling it.
The politicians should take a good look at themselves, but unfortunately that's all they ever do.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jesus wept some of the discussion in this thread is sad. People in Remain and Leave camps will be appalled at this. Yes, there will be reasons for this, but it is not for us to reach those conclusions now. We are raw at the moment. I suggest we all just mourn a woman who was clearly respected for the job she did and who has been horrifically taken from her family. Let's just stop for 24 hours at least shall we?

I'm just shocked. People on both sides of the present debate will be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The ridiculous nature of 24/7 rolling news means events like this have no filter applied to them, any rumour is presented as 'possible fact' and eagerly swooped upon. If this 'possible fact' is later discredited the same outlet will act puzzled as to how this 'possible fact' even entered the conversation, despite it being them in the first place who raised it up.

Since the story broker I have seen several 'possible facts' voiced, withdrawn and voiced again. I've seen various people and at least one MP delete earlier tweets. Perhaps people can wait until 'possible facts' become facts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So we can hijack a thread concerning a shocking tragedy with repeated political garbage.

Taste, decency, humanity. Pick any one.

Lots of evidence of all these on other threads - EU, immigration, Islam. Speaking personally, I try to limit issuing bans to things that are abusive (of a fellow NSC user), illegal (eg homophobia, racism), libellous (hence watching the stuff that's written about Cliff Richard), etc. Issuing bans for taste, decency, humanity or political garbage is,imo, fraught with danger of showing political, social, societal &/or cultural bias which, again imo, is not the role of a mod.

Again speaking personally, I deplore the views that the poster has posted, but I remain of the view that the poster has not breached the guidelines of the site. Of course, other mods may disagree :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ridiculous nature of 24/7 rolling news means events like this have no filter applied to them, any rumour is presented as 'possible fact' and eagerly swooped upon. If this 'possible fact' is later discredited the same outlet will act puzzled as to how this 'possible fact' even entered the conversation, despite it being them in the first place who raised it up.

Since the story broker I have seen several 'possible facts' voiced, withdrawn and voiced again. I've seen various people and at least one MP delete earlier tweets. Perhaps people can wait until 'possible facts' become facts.

You're right but human nature being what it is, a lot of people will believe what they want to believe. The media have great responsibility in situations like these, but sadly don't always exercise that responsibility.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lots of evidence of all these on other threads - EU, immigration, Islam. Speaking personally, I try to limit issuing bans to things that are abusive (of a fellow NSC user), illegal (eg homophobia, racism), libellous (hence watching the stuff that's written about Cliff Richard), etc. Issuing bans for taste, decency, humanity or political garbage is,imo, fraught with danger of showing political, social, societal &/or cultural bias which, again imo, is not the role of a mod.

Again speaking personally, I deplore the views that the poster has posted, but I remain of the view that the poster has not breached the guidelines of the site. Of course, other mods may disagree :shrug:

There are two options open to a moderator
a) Ban the poster (which you've rightly said doesn't apply here)
b) Ban the poster from an individual thread, which works well (see the Calde dinner thread for a good example)

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I don't think that I have ever been affected so much by the death of a person who (up until yesterday afternoon) I had never heard of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
b) Ban the poster from an individual thread, which works well (see the Calde dinner thread for a good example)
This was all I ever meant [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]

Surely someone making an ill judged comment, getting roundly turned upon, then making the same comment x amount of hours later, needs a 'rest' from that particular sensitive thread.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
RIP Jo, and thank you.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
You're right but human nature being what it is, a lot of people will believe what they want to believe. The media have great responsibility in situations like these, but sadly don't always exercise that responsibility.

If you have a 24/7 rolling news channel there's only so many times you can repeat the same known facts in an instance like this. The demand is for the outlet to come up with a new angle, prior to the 24/7 news they had time to wait and reflect, now they are terrified of being scooped so they'll rehash any which might later become a scoop.

It's a new low for the media, but what do you expect?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry I can't hold back. This should be a mark of respect, call it a thread of condolence, but no, it's full of racism, bile and political point scoring, hang your heads in shame.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ban the poster from an individual thread, which works well (see the Calde dinner thread for a good example)

Surely someone making an ill judged comment, getting roundly turned upon, then making the same comment x amount of hours later, needs a 'rest' from that particular sensitive thread.

Yes, I take this point. A much more moderate (pun intended) approach to the issue in question than an outright ban. Still censorship though, which, rightly I believe, sits uncomfortably with me and should only be used as a last resort. Stat's comment about the number of people commenting negatively about a post in a thread is, I think, valuable input into making a decision.

Thanks for the input.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In such tragic events as this I find the less said the better so my contribution is:

OMG
and
RIP

NSC has so many great threads but a binfest on this particular one is in very poor taste IMHO

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Awful incident. So much hate in this world and the current referendum is only fuelling it.
The politicians should take a good look at themselves, but unfortunately that's all they ever do.

Not all of them. The poor young lady here, being a case in point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here