MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
To talk about someone who seems to have mental health issues as "lowlife" and "a nutter" is fairly disgusting.

What has happened is appalling. If it was purely motivated by political belief and hate, it would be terrifying. The fact that it seems to have been carried out by somebody with mental health issues makes it even more difficult.

But the BBC's political editor on Newsnight has just said "we still do not know the motive for this murder". It is a bit early to judge any of it. It's just appalling that it has happened.

On such an important point isn't the 'care in the community' (money saving) program to blame?

synavm

May 2, 2013
First and foremost, I'm shocked and saddened for Jo Cox's family. I work within the House of Commons and know people who were on the phone to Cox's distraught staff when the news was breaking. The whole thing has been tragically sad and disturbing.

What I hope the experience today will do is make people a little more pragmatic when judging politicians. Yes, there are bad eggs but there are literally hundreds that fly under the radar, wearing rosettes of all hues, working tirelessly for their constituents having been involved with activism and charity work for much of their lives. They are human beings with mothers, fathers, children, siblings and other loved ones. The rise of populism has led to an almost black and white view of establishment and anti-establishment. People need to understand there are shades of grey, there are principled pragmatists, passionate about a variety of issues.

On the attacker, I believe it's best at this stage to reserve judgement. I don't think it would be unreasonable to speculate that mental illness was a contributing factor and the motive was political in some way- that being said I don't think anyone should cast aspersions on any particular campaign as a result of this crime. If there is anything political at all to take away, it is what Jo Cox's widow shared - hate doesn't have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous in all forms.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
First and foremost, I'm shocked and saddened for Jo Cox's family. I work within the House of Commons and know people who were on the phone to Cox's distraught staff when the news was breaking. The whole thing has been tragically sad and disturbing.

What I hope the experience today will do is make people a little more pragmatic when judging politicians. Yes, there are bad eggs but there are literally hundreds that fly under the radar, wearing rosettes of all hues, working tirelessly for their constituents having been involved with activism and charity work for much of their lives. They are human beings with mothers, fathers, children, siblings and other loved ones. The rise of populism has led to an almost black and white view of establishment and anti-establishment. People need to understand there are shades of grey, there are principled pragmatists, passionate about a variety of issues.

On the attacker, I believe it's best at this stage to reserve judgement. I don't think it would be unreasonable to speculate that mental illness was a contributing factor and the motive was political in some way- that being said I don't think anyone should cast aspersions on any particular campaign as a result of this crime. If there is anything political at all to take away, it is what Jo Cox's widow shared - hate doesn't have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous in all forms.

If there is anything political to come out of this it should be that everyone who is registered and entitled to vote should go out next Thursday and exercise their democratic right and vote. Whichever way you wish but just go and vote. (and at every election for that matter!)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
RIP Jo and thoughts to the 2 children and the rest of the family.

Really really disturbing news on so many levels. She had a bright future in politics.

This whole referendum shit is really turning hostile but I never thought it could go this far. The right wing rise is this country is really worrying. So many haters out there :nono:

is it more worrying than the whole islam issue......sorry , serious question.....?? r.i.p to the victim of this crime........very sad .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
is it more worrying than the whole islam issue......sorry , serious question.....?? r.i.p to the victim of this crime........very sad .
I don't like religion or discussing it at the best of times but what do u mean by Islam issue? Are u scared? They are just people? Yea there are some bad Muslims but there are bad in every walk of life... It's just the constant Muslim bashing you read in your paper that makes u scared and angry...

Hold my hand and let me shine a torch under your bed, you will see there isn't a monster there... It's just more hate mongering and I'm sick of it

Ps don't expect another response from me as it's just upsetting and ****ing annoying... Chatting to people with so much hate is like banging my head against a brick wall (not necessarily you btw)

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
image.jpeg

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't like religion or discussing it at the best of times but what do u mean by Islam issue? Are u scared? They are just people? Yea there are some bad Muslims but there are bad in every walk of life... It's just the constant Muslim bashing you read in your paper that makes u scared and angry...

Hold my hand and let me shine a torch under your bed, you will see there isn't a monster there... It's just more hate mongering and I'm sick of it

Ps don't expect another response from me as it's just upsetting and ****ing annoying... Chatting to people with so much hate is like banging my head against a brick wall (not necessarily you btw)

you have to be a top shelf twunt to gun someone down in cold blood........and no i'm not scared at all....i very much believe in the adage " you reap what you sow"....it is applicable to all walks and levels of life.....!! once again ....r.i.p to this lady, very sad....!!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Incredibly sad news.

Ironically the likely hood is that this could be the result of significant cuts in the mental health budget (Tory austerity) but could actually work in their favour as could swing people to the remain vote (away from the right wing groups).. that may seem like poor timing to comment that, but nonetheless true imo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you attention seeking?
We all know you need to switch the first 2 words, and lose the question mark, yet we've both managed to jump straight in.

If only there was a mod around who could stop this nonsense, if only for a day or two. :whistle:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We all know you need to switch the first 2 words, and lose the question mark, yet we've both managed to jump straight in.

If only there was a mod around who could stop this nonsense, if only for a day or two. :whistle:

For what breach of community guidelines would you suggest a mod acts in this case? "Attention seeking" is hardly due cause. If it were, about 50 posters would be banned! Being a complete twunt, perhaps? Ditto.

RIP Jo Cox.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
you have to be a top shelf twunt to gun someone down in cold blood........and no i'm not scared at all....i very much believe in the adage " you reap what you sow"....it is applicable to all walks and levels of life.....!! once again ....r.i.p to this lady, very sad....!!

I just hope you're just a case of someone who doesn't really consider how your posts come across or how they can be interpreted. You can't possibly mean how I've read that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On such an important point isn't the 'care in the community' (money saving) program to blame?

Quite possibly.

Let's face it, there are probably two extreme possibilities, with the truth lying somewhere in between:

Either he was totally unbalanced/ hearing voices in his head or similar, so did the deed "when the balance of his mind was disturbed", as they so quaintly put it...... or

He is a violent right wing activist and this was a totally politically motivated act. She had spoken to the police earlier in the year about security concerns.

Whichever it is, though, it doesn't alter the fact that a very good person, by the sound of it, has died and that a husband is now a widower and two small children have lost their mother.

It is just awful. On occasion something on the news will bring a tear to my eye. This on the six o'clock news last night went a bit further than that.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
On Thursday I will be up at the crack of dawn. I will spend 15 hours in a polling station allowing the democratic process to function. I will smile at all the electors who come in to vote. I will be totally impartial and professional. I will then proceed to the count where I will be part of the process to ensure the votes are counted accurately. Again I will remain totally impartial.

When I eventually leave at whatever time on Friday, I will go home and either cheer or cry at the result.

And then I will get on with my life. RIP Jo Cox:angel: You were just doing your job too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports