MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
It might not stop people - or it might - who knows. But this is a timely (and incredibly regrettable) reminder that the loathing and fear stoked up during this Referendum is just appalling. It's got completely out of hand, and politicians on both sides should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. We used to be a respectful nation, welcoming of others - and welcoming of different views. We are turning into a nation of haters who abuse others (with different views) at the drop of a hat. I thought things couldn't get any worse, but today they did.

I make no connection between the two.None whatsoever.I make a connection between a defenseless woman and a nutter and that's it.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
The point I am making is that the current campaign has gone beyond the way that we normally 'do things' which has impacted on the quality of debate and possibly been a trigger to something much worse. A politician has been murdered which (outside of IRA attacks) is unheard of in modern history and we are in the middle of a very different political campaign, it isn't unreasonable to assume a connection.

It is unreasonable when you're talking about a nutter.Totally unreasonable.You really think we should change our lives because of lowlife like this and let them control us?These people find any kind of reason whatsoever to do what they do_Often they need no reason.This wasn't a terrorist,radicalised who killed the MP.This was someone with mental issues who was capable of anything.You can't change how you live your life because of fear of random acts like this by people who can't even control themselves.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It would be the right thing to do,if, when the by-election comes round all other parties refrain from fielding any other candidates.

I won't hold my breath though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is unreasonable when you're talking about a nutter.Totally unreasonable.You really think we should change our lives because of lowlife like this and let them control us?These people find any kind of reason whatsoever to do what they do_Often they need no reason.This wasn't a terrorist,radicalised who killed the MP.This was someone with mental issues who was capable of anything.You can't change how you live your life because of fear of random acts like this by people who can't even control themselves.

You're missing the point which is both sides are being disrespectful and going too far. If you can't understand this then I despair; I really do.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Terrible news. BBC are reporting that the killer potentially had links to a far right South African paramilitary organisation.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
RIP Jo and thoughts to the 2 children and the rest of the family.

Really really disturbing news on so many levels. She had a bright future in politics.

This whole referendum shit is really turning hostile but I never thought it could go this far. The right wing rise is this country is really worrying. So many haters out there :nono:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The hate swirling in the UK is shocking. People who hate and despise with such intensity emanate a chilling effect on the whole of British democracy. Who would be an MP? Who would subject themselves to such a constant barrage of random insults, physical attacks and online abuse? Female MP's in particular receive such vile online abuse I'm sure it has put off many excellent potential MP's from putting their name forward.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
How did this man have access to a gun?

I did hear somewhere that it was some sort of homemade device. Not sure how tbh.

It would be best if everyone did including the politicians, watch the football and Royal Ascot and say a prayer for Mr Cox and their children

I don't often say this, but I agree with Ernest. Would be a good thing for that to happen.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Whatever your political allegiance, whatever your views on the referendum this is vile, shocking and an heart breaking event. It leaves a Husband without a wife. Children without a mother. Parents without their daughter. Extended family members bereft. Just wrong. My condolences to the family.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I found this very difficult to watch on the news. I knew nothing about Jo but found it more disturbing than many other sad events that have happened recently.

She was a labour remainer. I would have felt the same if she was a tory brexiter.

A truly sad day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shocking day, totally stunned at this and it will raise some serious questions going forward on how can we possibly have a safe democracy where our MPs can engage safely in their constituencies.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

To talk about someone who seems to have mental health issues as "lowlife" and "a nutter" is fairly disgusting.

What has happened is appalling. If it was purely motivated by political belief and hate, it would be terrifying. The fact that it seems to have been carried out by somebody with mental health issues makes it even more difficult.

But the BBC's political editor on Newsnight has just said "we still do not know the motive for this murder". It is a bit early to judge any of it. It's just appalling that it has happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports