Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
For WHU and Newcastle matches, will this be a strike as in no trains whatsoever or like yesterday, where there was a reduced service?

Last edited:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
So what do they do from Falmer when the game is finished, bus replacements? That will be a nightmare if that's the case, it's bad enough for everyone anyway on a normal day getting back. Does it affect all trains like Thameslink?
Sadly, yes. GTR is the parent company of both the ugly sisters (Southern and Thameslink).

They won't lay on bus replacements on a strike day.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Oh well.

West Ham is a 5:30 kickoff ( as is Newcastle ). No chance of getting home for me if the trains are iffy. Hotel booked.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
For WHU and Newcastle matches, will this be a strike as in no trains whatsoever or like yesterday, where there was a reduced service?
I think it is RMT so unlike ASLEF strikes there will be some trains, but possibly the service might wind up early for the evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are the cycling racks like up at the Amex these days?
Are there any Beryl bike stands near the Uni?
The cycle path down from Falmer to town looks pretty good and it’s looking like the best way to travel these days
The cycle path is excellent and as good as you can expect for one not segregated.
There are loads of racks but they will fill up.

The dream is to have a 'wheels' section of the path too and from The Bridge, but that'll never happen.

Don't forget you can arrive as close to kick off as you like and leave without any form of queuing.

Definitely give it a go - I'd suggest you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Do you find the bikes are safe?
They're parked under the most sophisticated CCTV in Sussex, with police and stewards in attendance, in a location that anybody loitering in will instantly look suspicious.
I'd say that's fairly safe.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Certainly not getting the train again that’s definite will drive in south of moulescome park and walk

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
After yesterday, I’ll never use the train again. Fortunately I have a lift for the West Ham game but am back to the park and ride after that. Or I might try Seagull Travel. Not cheap but the sheer luxury and lack of stress in leaving the stadium and getting on a bus that’ll take me to the end of my road.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I support all the strikes 100%. They've affected me loads but, in my opinion, the only way anything changes in this shitpit of a country is when those self-serving ****s start to suffer.

Bring the country to its knees...
The only self-serving ****s I'm seeing are the strikers and particularly the unions. But then I stupidly keep expecting unions to negotiate and agree things instead of f*****g up every one elses lives.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
If anyone has any suggestions of how to get to the game and back from Rye please let me know.
Missed Luton game yesterday as flight from Falkland Islands delayed :( and I don't want to miss the only other game I am in the country for.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I support all the strikes 100%. They've affected me loads but, in my opinion, the only way anything changes in this shitpit of a country is when those self-serving ****s start to suffer.

Which self-serving shits are suffering? The only ones suffering are you and me, the general public. There is no better description of Comrade Mick et al than "self serving", smugly beaming away on TV. If you think the government and their negotiators are squirming, you’re nuts. They clearly aren’t or they’d have done something about the disruption.

What the unions need to do is run a proper train service but refuse to sell or check tickets. That would actually help the public while piling pressure on the train operators. The strikes are incredibly short-sighted as well. They’ve caused so much inconvenience and disappointment that many people, me included, now regard trains as a last resort.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What are the cycling racks like up at the Amex these days?
Are there any Beryl bike stands near the Uni?
The cycle path down from Falmer to town looks pretty good and it’s looking like the best way to travel these days
It’s well outside the Beryl zone unfortunately. The Lewes Rd bike lane is great and riding from Hove you can do most of the journey on bike lanes (depending where you’re starting obviously!)

el punal

I’d like to think your post is a tongue in cheek one.

If, however, it’s not it’s us poor buggers that had to put up with all that shit yesterday, and again to be repeated on the 26th August and 2nd September. Regardless of whether you think the country is a shitpit the industrial action you condone has now been going on long enough with zero resolution in sight. The government don’t seem to give a stuff, the train companies are probably dictated to by the government and therefore limited on what they can offer (I’m guessing that one) and the unions, be they ASLEF or RMT, are hell bent on screwing up everyone who wants to travel by train.

I’m hard pushed now to remember the last time I caught a train that wasn’t affected by some form of disruption. So my suggestion to all concerned - the government transport department, the train company directors and the union leaders all meet up in a windowless portacabin somewhere to sort this out. I will personally lock you in and will only let you out when you have agreed and resolved whatever sodding issues that you may have. In the meantime whatever complete shitfest you have decided to foist on us is cancelled and that a decent, reliable service is implemented indefinitely.

There, rant over. :drink:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Certainly not getting the train again that’s definite will drive in south of moulescome park and walk
Pretty sure there’s not anywhere around there that doesn’t have restrictions

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Come on be sensible- Saturday wasn’t the strikers, it was trespassers - sometimes things go wrong, suck it up and think on your feet.

I had a pint after the match and saw the queue, walked to the bus stop and saw the queue, walked to the uni and got a Uber (more that I’d of liked to have paid)

After opening 4-1 what should have been 3-0 I don’t really care.

I knew strikers might make it hard so I go there really early, problem solved.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Train drivers … I disagree. £60k the median pay and they’ve had above inflation increases over the last couple of decades. An entitlement that their pay must always equal or exceed general inflation in every single year. Shirley there are swings and turntables.

My sympathies are with RMT staff on rubbish pay such as cleaners or those dealing with violent passengers.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Same as for Spurs home last season when exactly the same thing happened

I think it is RMT so unlike ASLEF strikes there will be some trains, but possibly the service might wind up early for the evening.
And im thinking before the matches conclude, the b@stards are taking it in turns striking to spread the distruption. Hopefully their funds run out soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here