[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone know how I can find historic train arrival / departure times ? Having an argument over delay repay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
While you are saying the office workers are “well paid”. I can tell you 100% that a lot of the office workers are on less than engineers, some platform staff and most onboard staff.
Fair enough. I was thinking of full white collar managers and team leads, exec etc who seem to me to be the ones who struggle with communications and drop the people on the coal face in it. But maybe I'm being unfair.

You can have a pay rise though Jack - 200+ games and a European Tour don't pay for themselves :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is that not in the no.parking zone? Does anyone know where the no parking zone starts/ends? Is there a map somewhere? How does anyone know where you can/t park?
There are two zones that come into force on match days, B and D.

Maps here;

Zone B (Coldean): https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/parking-zones?field_zone_id_value=B#map

Zone D (Moulescoomb): https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/parking-zones?field_zone_id_value=D#map

Looking south, the closest you can get is about 2 miles, so a 35-40 minute stroll, although I'm not sure if there are resident parking zones in that area.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One available in Moulescombe £69 someone is making monry out of our misery
There's some for c£30 still for the West Ham game.

The trick with the parking sites is to book early. If you look at November 11th, the current date of the Sheffield United game, you can get spaces from £7. Obviously kick-off times may change, so book places with free cancellation to cover that. If you can spare the time, you could book up all possible kick-off times early and then cancel the ones you don't need later on.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
There's some for c£30 still for the West Ham game.

The trick with the parking sites is to book early. If you look at November 11th, the current date of the Sheffield United game, you can get spaces from £7. Obviously kick-off times may change, so book places with free cancellation to cover that. If you can spare the time, you could book up all possible kick-off times early and then cancel the ones you don't need later on.
Isn’t Nov 9th a Europa League date? If so, I guess the Nov 11th match will be Sun Nov 12th.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn’t Nov 9th a Europa League date? If so, I guess the Nov 11th match will be Sun Nov 12th.
Yeah, it was just an example of the benefits of booking ahead where you can get spaces for a tenner or less. And, as.I say, you could book multiple spots/slots and cancel the ones you don't need when the kick-off time is locked in.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Maybe people in the private sector (which apparently the railways is meant to be) should get a better union then?

I agree those are good wages, but they’re only good due to a strong union. A lot of these strikes, are not due to pay, but job losses and changes to T&Cs. The railway is a mess, and even they get a pay rise, most of the problems will remain until the government invest. But everyone needs the union boogeyman to blame for trains not to work.

The blame here lies with the government (and that’s from someone who doesn’t think Drivers should necessarily have a pay rise!). All operators who do not fall under the remit of the Rail Delivery group, like Open Access, Scotrail, TfW, TfL have come to an agreement, the Department for Transport and RDG are obstructive to the whole process.
Some good points, but....

I blame the Government AND the Unions.

Get round the table and sort it out.

The Government don't give a damn for the travelling public - and nor do the Union leaders.

Both as stubbon and pig-headed as each other.

Pathetic - the state of our railways in the UK is beyond useless - all sides should be thoughhly ashamed of themselves.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry to sound harsh but why do we need ticket offices? it's 2023. McDonald's won't have servers soon I suspect. My job might be taken by AI etc etc this is just capitalism I'm afraid. Time to retrain for a new job.
[/QUOTE]
Because they tell me the best trains and best value fares. I always buy at a ticket office. Only ever bought online for work when I didn't care about ticket cost and had no choice with times.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Slightly related to the topic - does anyone know if we ever got back to pre-pandemic levels of service delivery?

What I mean is we saw a lot of delays / cancellations post-lockdown due to sickness etc. (fair enough, it was a pandemic after all) and so trains always felt a bit iffy in terms of being able to get from A to B. And now we're mired in strikes etc. as well so feels like a reduced level of service on what was already a reduced level of service owing to post-pandemic f**kery.

Note - want to be clear I'm not trying to dig anyone out over this, I'm just curious.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Some good points, but....

I blame the Government AND the Unions.

Get round the table and sort it out.

The Government don't give a damn for the travelling public - and nor do the Union leaders.

Both as stubbon and pig-headed as each other.

Pathetic - the state of our railways in the UK is beyond useless - all sides should be thoughhly ashamed of themselves.
I agree, they need to sort this out, but at the end of the day the government have the purse strings, and can call the talks, no one is actively doing it.

Nobody is sitting round as there is just a blame game, the government say it’s between the companies and the unions. The companies then go to the unions, get a fully costed plan. Go back to the department and say this is what we’ll do. Then the government say, no we don’t want to give in, give them these stupid T&Cs to insert with the fully costed plans, which wouldn’t be able to be implemented. Inevitably the companies then go back to the union with the stupid T&Cs, the Union say no and the whole process starts again. As I pointed out the companies which do not have to seek Central government approval have all reached fully costed resolutions, why can’t the other TOCs, because it’s ideological, no one in the government cares.

The only way this ends is a general election.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Sorry to sound harsh but why do we need ticket offices? it's 2023. McDonald's won't have servers soon I suspect. My job might be taken by AI etc etc this is just capitalism I'm afraid. Time to retrain for a new job.
[/QUOTE]
I turned up at Angmering station on Saturday lunchtime, ten minutes before departure time, to find that the ticket machines weren't working. The poor bloke in the ticket office had at least 30 people desperately trying to buy tickets before the train arrived. I guess they'll eventually expect everyone to buy and keep their tickets on their phones.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports