Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I suppose what’s happened with Cucurella (and maybe White and Bissouma) makes it more likely young potential stars will come to BHA rather than fester in Man City or Chelsea U21s. The route to the top is much better with us, as you actually get to play first team football!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I suppose what’s happened with Cucurella (and maybe White and Bissouma) makes it more likely young potential stars will come to BHA rather than fester in Man City or Chelsea U21s. The route to the top is much better with us, as you actually get to play first team football!

Definitely. Which is why I didn't really understand Collyer and Sturge moving to Man U and Chelsea, respectively. Of course, if they do alright at those clubs, they'll forge a good career- just look at how many top players have come through Chelsea in recent years. But the pathway seems clearer with us right now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's such nonsense that the transfer window stays open when the season has already started. Is there a logical reason for it?

Not much to do with logic. It's to do with the fact that (most of?) the rest of Europe keeps it open that long. The window was closed when the season started a few years back, but it was moved back due to it remaining open throughout August in Europe.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have been reading a lot about his “desire” / speculation to play for Man United one day. Is this based on them simply being Man United or the fact that his idol Antonio Valencia played for them?

Sure he will want to work his way to the top but I’m not convinced he has a desire to play for United alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Definitely. Which is why I didn't really understand Collyer and Sturge moving to Man U and Chelsea, respectively. Of course, if they do alright at those clubs, they'll forge a good career- just look at how many top players have come through Chelsea in recent years. But the pathway seems clearer with us right now.

Man U can point to Elanga, Garnacho, Rashford etc as first team examples, Chelsea can point to Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi. I do find it funny that Sturge has gone from being behind Cucurella at Brighton to behind Cucurella, Chilwell and Alonso at Chelsea. Probably more money though so...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Chelsea’s record of developing players is unparalleled in recent years. The pathway there is very clear- if you have talent you’ll make it there or be allowed to leave for another club. It’s as obvious why a youngster would want to join the likes of Chelsea as it is why Cucu would. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
You probably won’t be surprised that the Reds have been monitoring him for a while…..
It is getting tedious that our players are seemingly all up for grabs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Chelsea’s record of developing players is unparalleled in recent years. The pathway there is very clear- if you have talent you’ll make it there or be allowed to leave for another club. It’s as obvious why a youngster would want to join the likes of Chelsea as it is why Cucu would. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it on other threads but pretty much all Chelsea youngsters end up with careers in football. It's not about being a first teamer at Chelsea as such, it's about being a "Chelsea Academy graduate". A player with that on their CV will walk into a League One career at worst. It's getting that way with us too. Look at Cochrane, Molumby and Gyokeres. They may not have made it with us, but they have been provided a platform to make it elsewhere which is invaluable to a young footballer.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can’t see the club entertaining a bid for him at all in this window. For Caicedo if he is well advised he will know the best place for him this season is at Brighton where he will get regular game time under a top class manager in a less pressurised environment to further his development.

If he shines this season and has a solid World Cup he will have his choice of top European clubs next season and would still only be 21

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
**** this transfer window by the way. I’m exhausted by football and the season has only just started.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't believe for a moment that he will be sold in this window. Next summer I think he'll go, especially if he's had a wonderful World Cup. At which point, hopefully it will be time for the Magicman to come back into the squad and also hopefully the long awaited emergence of Alzate as a first team regular!

I think we need to do some business with a view to the longer term squad planning prior to the end of this window. A couple of buys and loan backs for future strength are probably required.

Alternatively, go out and get James Garner from United. If he's on the market for £15million then get it done, get him in the squad and he'll get plenty of games in rotation and then be ready to play a bigger role into next season. He's a quality player I think, based on his performances for Forest last season.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I can’t see the club entertaining a bid for him at all in this window. For Caicedo if he is well advised he will know the best place for him this season is at Brighton where he will get regular game time under a top class manager in a less pressurised environment to further his development.

If he shines this season and has a solid World Cup he will have his choice of top European clubs next season and would still only be 21

I can't see it purely on the basis that it doesn't really make any sense. We're all getting a bit high on the succession planning drug. But really that only makes sense if the successor gives you two or ideally 3 seasons. if the net result of excellent scouting networks and succession planning is flipping a kid for 4 times the value after 12 performances, it has no positive affect on the club beyond its Bank balance.

I think as a point of principle we should be getting at least 2 seasons out of these kids before countenancing sales or we will be actively participating in our own regression.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Tony Bloom must know that if Caicedo is allowed to leave he would quite possibly lose Grahame Potter,and if he goes it will all fall apart.

I'm more on potter's side now then bloom. This has to stop. You have only got to listen to potter's post match interviews this season and you can read between the lines.
One interview he said." We've sold TWO key players already." and "we've received over £150million for players in last 3 Transfer windows".

I Would **** off to a more supportive chairman, If anymore key players go before the end of this season.
And I would support potter for doing it. And Yes. Potter IS the reason we are in this league still.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm more on potter's side now then bloom. This has to stop. You have only got to listen to potter's post match interviews this season and you can read between the lines.
One interview he said." We've sold TWO key players already." and "we've received over £150million for players in last 3 Transfer windows".

I Would **** off to a more supportive chairman, If anymore key players go before the end of this season.
And I would support potter for doing it. And Yes. Potter IS the reason we are in this league still.

Who would you say is a more supportive chairman in the PL than Bloom ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wow, you've read a lot of your agenda into GPotts words.

larus

I don’t think anyone on this thread has said they think he will be sold this season. The club have allegedly made the statement that he’s not for sale.
As far as I can see, we (as in posters on here) are mainly speculating about what he’s worth, delighted with our succession planning, laughing at some other clubs lack of planning/delusions, etc.
I also think the fact that there’s now 3 Ecuadoreans in the squad will make him feel good about staying - talking about home, shared culture, World Cup, eating etc. I don’t buy into the twitter garbage about him being offered to Man U by other ‘parties’ - seems like BS to me.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don’t for one second think we will sell Caicedo this summer but if we did then I think a lot of fans would start to question Bloom and the model. There will always be some who believe Bloom can never do anything wrong but to sell three of our best players in one window would really undermine any claim we are trying to become a top ten club.

Like others I think it would really test Potters resolve as in the last month he is starting to be more vocal than he has been before, in his own understated way of course. When was the last time he openly named a position he thinks we need to fill as he did this week with getting a backup to Welbeck. He clearly wants backing in this area and hopefully that will happen.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

do you really think that any chairman of a club our size and with the financial clout that Tony has, can really say "no sale regardless of amount" when the amount of money being offered for (and to) our top players is the ridiculous sums it now is. Do you really think that any player will turn down the chance of top six, champions league, and several hundred tousand pounds a WEEK.

WE have to be realistic on who and what Brighton is- and that goes for the manager, players, and fans. We are at best a mid table prem club, with the occasional foray into Europe with a bottom third wealthy owner. In that scenario when we unearth a truly world class talent we are kidding ourselves if an offer of approaching £100 000 000 and triple or quadruple the players wages comes in if we think we can realistically reject it.

The best we can hope is that when the big boys come calling, we empty their wallets and replace them with equal quality and start the process again. Players moving on to world class clubs will encourage others to come here, and see us as a preferred option for furthering their careers.

Simply refusing to sell players will cause the stream to dry up pretty quick. The likes of Bissouma, Cucurella, Caceido, will simply go elsewhere

The only alternatives is to end up in a slow decline, yoyo-ing for a few seasons and then falling back in to league one-two or selling out to the big money and doingt a city or newcastle.

I would rather we stay on the course we are on, enjoy the ride and see how far it takes us

Graham Potter would certainly know the score- TB has said many times no player is unsalable IF the right offer comes in- and the approximately £200 000 000 in sales in 18 months and a 9th place finish would certainly seem to support thee idea that the current approach is the correct one

Potter knows this, the players know this, and we, as fans know this. I

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t for one second think we will sell Caicedo this summer but if we did then I think a lot of fans would start to question Bloom and the model. There will always be some who believe Bloom can never do anything wrong but to sell three of our best players in one window would really undermine any claim we are trying to become a top ten club.

Like others I think it would really test Potters resolve as in the last month he is starting to be more vocal than he has been before, in his own understated way of course. When was the last time he openly named a position he thinks we need to fill as he did this week with getting a backup to Welbeck. He clearly wants backing in this area and hopefully that will happen.

Caicedo is going nowhere but nonetheless Potter said last week! when asked about Cucurella, that whilst comfortable "While the window is open, you always have to keep looking.” .
Anyway he talks to Bloom (and Barber) all the time. I doubt he needs to send coded messages via the press.!! We'll leave all that to less well run outfits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here