[Albion] Mohammed Kudus **Signed For West Ham 27/08**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I must still have a lingering small club mentality. If he’s that good and has been eyed up by mega rich clubs why would he choose to come to Brighton? Something off to me :smile:
I read somewhere his injury record recently hasn’t been the best.

I’m sure someone will tell me it’s nonsense 😃.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Andy Naylor now reporting close to completion.

Has anyone got the plane tracker ready?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lamptey might have something to say about that.
For how many games will he have something to say though?!

RB should absolutely be a priority. Look what happened at the end of last season and that was without Europe.

Veltman is not a natural RB, he’s a great team man and squad player and does a good job there but is 31 and suffered from injuries at the end of last season. Plus if not needed at RB every week, he’s a good CB option which we might need. And fitness issues aside, Lamptey has not shown he is good enough ability wise for 3 nearly years since his initial injury, let alone fit enough.

I’m not saying it will be easy to find, but if we can get an most Pervis equivalent, that boosts us massively.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Andy Naylor now reporting close to completion.

Has anyone got the plane tracker ready?
I can categorically state:-

Mohammed Kudus is not, I repeat NOT, stood outside the front of my house.

Sorry not been out yet.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
For how many games will he have something to say though?!

RB should absolutely be a priority. Look what happened at the end of last season and that was without Europe.

Veltman is not a natural RB, he’s a great team man and squad player and does a good job there but is 31 and suffered from injuries at the end of last season. Plus if not needed at RB every week, he’s a good CB option which we might need. And fitness issues aside, Lamptey has not shown he is good enough ability wise for 3 nearly years since his initial injury, let alone fit enough.

I’m not saying it will be easy to find, but if we can get a most Pervis equivalent, that boosts us massively.
Offiah , lamptey , gross , Milner , veltman

I personally think we are ok

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree it’d be brilliant to have another Estupinan but do Veltman or Gross have the pace to play RB? I’m not sure the old rules apply. Depends on how clever the player is.
Fair point, but for me it does. Veltman was roasted at Chelsea away very early on and picked up a booking. Experience (clever positioning), is fine until you’re 1 on 1, and it will happen at least twice per half. Then you have decision to make (see Veltman above).

Gross is a great athlete but just gets up and down at one pace. Pervis is an athlete with a burst of pace, that is what we need to replicate on both flanks. Tariq can do it but it’s questionable whether physically he can sustain it.

Before the band wagon jumpers pile in, Veltman is first choice RB for me and Gross is my favourite player. Veltman does an excellent job, but he doesn’t get up and down like Pervis or Tariq.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
“on course for completion”

The first page of this thread suggests that it was before July 3rd that our link to Kudus to light, and it wasn’t The Athletic who revealed it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Fair point, but for me it does. Veltman was roasted at Chelsea away very early on and picked up a booking. Experience (clever positioning), is fine until you’re 1 on 1, and it will happen at least twice per half. Then you have decision to make (see Veltman above).
Yes, but that's why we have Caicedo to cover back when he gets exposed. Doh!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Igor can play LB like Veltman (and Ben White) play RB. We like uneven fullbacks where one tends to hang back (a little not constantly) to often form a back 3, whilst the other FB has more freedom to bomb on. Veltman let’s Estupinan (and before that Cucurella some matches) do that. By contrast when Lamptey played RB though, you’d see Cucurella play very differently and more cautiously. More like Dan Burn. Igor coming in gives me hope we might see Lamptey back at times. Especially if Veltman is needed filling in at CB.

As for Kudus, he’s like a Steven Gerrard. A VERY competent top half player on the right, or in a central 2 alongside either a Deep Lying Playmaker (Dahoud, Xabi Alonso, Pirlo type) who are often intelligent defenders but not physical (where-as Kudos is) or else a Ball Winning Midfielder (Caicedo, Javier Macherano, Kante) who doesn’t drive forward (more than 10 yards) in possession as much (another strength of Kudus). However we don’t only want very competent top half of Prem player in one of those two roles. He’s ELITE as the most forward player in a central 3 (think more 4-2-3-1 the central player of the ‘3’ but really more suited to being grouped with the twin pivots centrally rather than the wingers). Like Gerrard he’s very complete all round and 7.5 out of 10 at a lot of things but amazing at sparking something with his drive or sudden burst forward. In a 2 (or played wider) he has more responsibility and does well at the needed role. But ‘in the hole’ between a striker and 2 deeper midfielders he’s freed up to be the ‘free role’ on the playground where the best player in the school takes things on, links play from a place within the centre of the other 5 non-defenders and drifts where-ever he’s needed in the moment. MacAllister did it competently last year but in a more thought out, passing style. Enciso does it completely differently in a more selfish way. Kudus has the ability to replicate both extremes plus everything in between with the physical skills and burst/drive an aging Lallana can only dream about (else he’d still be in the England team).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Igor can play LB like Veltman (and Ben White) play RB. We like uneven fullbacks where one tends to hang back (a little not constantly) to often form a back 3, whilst the other FB has more freedom to bomb on. Veltman let’s Estupinan (and before that Cucurella some matches) do that. By contrast when Lamptey played RB though, you’d see Cucurella play very differently and more cautiously. More like Dan Burn. Igor coming in gives me hope we might see Lamptey back at times. Especially if Veltman is needed filling in at CB.

As for Kudus, he’s like a Steven Gerrard. A VERY competent top half player on the right, or in a central 2 alongside either a Deep Lying Playmaker (Dahoud, Xabi Alonso, Pirlo type) who are often intelligent defenders but not physical (where-as Kudos is) or else a Ball Winning Midfielder (Caicedo, Javier Macherano, Kante) who doesn’t drive forward (more than 10 yards) in possession as much (another strength of Kudus). However we don’t only want very competent top half of Prem player in one of those two roles. He’s ELITE as the most forward player in a central 3 (think more 4-2-3-1 the central player of the ‘3’ but really more suited to being grouped with the twin pivots centrally rather than the wingers). Like Gerrard he’s very complete all round and 7.5 out of 10 at a lot of things but amazing at sparking something with his drive or sudden burst forward. In a 2 (or played wider) he has more responsibility and does well at the needed role. But ‘in the hole’ between a striker and 2 deeper midfielders he’s freed up to be the ‘free role’ on the playground where the best player in the school takes things on, links play from a place within the centre of the other 5 non-defenders and drifts where-ever he’s needed in the moment. MacAllister did it competently last year but in a more thought out, passing style. Enciso does it completely differently in a more selfish way. Kudus has the ability to replicate both extremes plus everything in between with the physical skills and burst/drive an aging Lallana can only dream about (else he’d still be in the England team).

Well, now you've got everybody even more excited.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must still have a lingering small club mentality. If he’s that good and has been eyed up by mega rich clubs why would he choose to come to Brighton? Something off to me :smile:

Players don’t sign for clubs because they like the style of football and a manager over wages do they???
The beginning off that Mark Goldbridge video pretty much nails it - a good team, in Europe and, like it or hate it, a springboard to a MASSIVE club.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The first page of this thread suggests that it was before July 3rd that our link to Kudus to light, and it wasn’t The Athletic who revealed it.
Maybe that date is when TA first reported it :shrug:

Presented on the pitch before KO today?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's mad that publications are happy to print such crap, when it was reported on twatter and then here over a week earlier.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sounds like a good player. Shame we haven't signed him really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports