MK Dons - FA Cup

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
18,000 vs Wrexham in 2012.

Where do the club think they have gone ? ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paul Barber been sent email about opening the North ..He has replied saying its not going to happen due to operating costs

Hard to see the club declaring it a sellout with 15,000 empty seats so buy tickets, persuade your mates and their kids to come and put the ball properly back in the club's court.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Hard to see the club declaring it a sellout with 15,000 empty seats so buy tickets, persuade your mates and their kids to come and put the ball properly back in the club's court.

Absolutely right.

It strikes me that some people don't feel THEY should be buying tickets yet - more that everyone ELSE should fill the available stands for them, so that they can then buy one where they want to sit. :shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes. It is.
these days there's sadly v.difference between FA Cup/League Cup in terms of appeal, strength of teams at least in the early rounds. and 6K gives us a good overall clue to the appeal of cup matches against nondescript opposition where Hughton puts out a second string team. But you'd be hugely optimistic to suggest the Saturday 3pm would add much more than 5K to that. Which justifies only opening up 2 stands initially at least.

Completely disagree. There is still a massive difference between the FA Cup and the League Cup in terms of appeal. Look at the fantastic coverage the BBC afford the FA Cup. The League Cup is indeed an irrelevance to most until the quarter finals but that isn't the case for the FA Cup. I bet we'll get 10-12,000 for this one even with the ground only half open. That might not seem many people in this day and age, but actually it's still broadly similar to the 3rd round gates we were getting in the 80s for similar standard opposition. It certainly isn't comparable to the 4,000 for a first round evening league cup game we would get.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolutely right.

It strikes me that some people don't feel THEY should be buying tickets yet - more that everyone ELSE should fill the available stands for them, so that they can then buy one where they want to sit. :shrug:
I'm buying on payday next week.

Que Sera Sera where the seat is, hopefully won't be sold out and no more stands opened.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I'm buying on payday next week.

Que Sera Sera where the seat is, hopefully won't be sold out and no more stands opened.

There is NO chance it will sell out, and they'd not release more. None whatsoever.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
In ticket office this morning for 2 tickets. Loads of seats left so looks as if STHs are not rushing for this one.

I'm waiting for General sale, so tat I can go with Son & Grandkids that don't normally go.

It's not as though I have to get in early to ensure I can get my own WSU seat.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Absolutely right.

That's not the case for non season ticket holders as they can't buy tickets until the 21st of december .

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
That's not the case for non season ticket holders as they can't buy tickets until the 21st of december .

Sorry - that's not what I meant. I meant from some of the earlier comments on this thread (many of whom almost certainly ARE STH)

FWIW I haven't even considered getting tickets yet - its WEEKS away.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... is the right answer. People think the club are wrong on this? Prove it.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
If the North Stand is meant to be our 'Kop' is there any other club in the league that would Makesuch an absurd decision? I was about to say they wouldn't do it at the Goldstone but then again they once allocated the North Stand to Portsmouth
In one of the most offensive decisions a club could take against its own fans.
I remember watching that game with my dad from the chicken run. There was some trouble if I remember rightly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If the North Stand is meant to be our 'Kop' is there any other club in the league that would Makesuch an absurd decision? I was about to say they wouldn't do it at the Goldstone but then again they once allocated the North Stand to Portsmouth

It's right up there for sure .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I do remember Pompey being allocated the North Stand but I don't know why, what was the reason?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just had to buy 2 tickets in the centre of West Lower as they havent extended it to cover my seat yet as they started in the centre and then opening other blocks as they sell going out towards north and south.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had an email from Paul Barber in relation to this, as he wanted to put right the misrepresentation that we would not open up the North Stand under any circumstances. He's happy for me to post his full response on the subject, which I have done so below:

Decisions on which area of the stadium to open for matches where the attendance is likely to be far lower than usual are not made randomly or by guesswork. We carefully assess the likely demand and then consider how best to configure the stadium from a cost perspective to provide the best possible atmosphere by grouping the largest numbers of fans together, along with a degree of choice and the lowest possible ticket prices. Similarly, we do not offer free seating as, with many individual preferences and the potential for fans to be spread thinly over a large area, all it does is significantly increase our operational costs.

From both an operational and a cost management point of view, it is far better for us to open the lower tier east and west stands for the above match as, with our 1901 capacity in the middle west stand, this configuration gives us over 13,000 seats to sell. It is therefore a format that provides us with far greater capacity and flexibility (without incurring significant additional operational costs from the initial opening of a single lower tier only stand with our smallest capacity, particularly when you consider we must also house away fans, provide segregation, and make appropriate provision for disabled supporters of both clubs).

For comparison, our Championship match against MK Dons last season attracted just over 23,500 supporters (including 500 visiting supporters), which means the vast majority of fans in attendance were our own season ticket holders and 1901 members. In other words, walk up sales or advance match day ticket sales for a league fixture against MK Dons were extremely low. With due respect to MK Dons, an early round FA Cup match against a League One side will likely to attract less interest. Our previous early round cup matches – admittedly mainly EFL Cup and against non-Premier League opposition – have also been extremely low.

In summary, the Amex is a big stadium and its is a costly one to open on all fours sides if the attendance is predicted to be lower than usual. With our losses in excess of £2m per month, we have a significant responsibility to Tony Bloom to manage our costs as efficiently as possible while also giving ourselves a decent chance of securing the best possible support for the team (by keeping ticket prices as low as possible) and the best possible atmosphere in the ground (by grouping fans together in two main areas and not spreading them thinly throughout the stadium) - a fine balance that, unfortunately, will never please everyone.

I would add to this that, if we do sell out of the initial capacity we have made available, then of course we would look to open other areas of the stadium. Again, however, we would look to do this in the most effective and cost efficient way possible. In this regard, segregation doesn’t just apply to seated areas; it must also apply to concourse areas which is why we must utilise the south stand and south east corner for visiting supporters. So, to be clear, if we get to a point where all the capacity we have made available has sold out, we will be happy to continue to open more areas to meet remaining demand until the stadium is full.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports