[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I was working at Gatwick we were having a birthday celebration after work in one of the airside bars and Dave Allen was on the next table waiting for his flight back to Ireland. He was exactly as he was on TV - charming, debonair and very witty. Said he preferred the public bars to the VIP lounges.

In New York I've spotted a few, which I suppose aint that difficult as it's the film capital of the world. Saw Helen Mirren and Russell Brand coming out of Grand Central Station when they were filming the remake of Arthur. Peter Dinklage was sitting at a table just behind us at a restaurant in Brooklyn. He was with his family and seemed like a really nice guy. It was funny because whenever one of the Brits in the office saw a celebrity they'd go on about it all day whereas with the New Yorkers it was like - so what, big deal and just took it in their stride. John Lennon said one of the reasons he moved to New York was because he could just be himself without being hounded by fans and the paparazzi like he would have been in the UK

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Another shout out for Gordon Brown, was working at the Labour Party Conference one year when he was PM, came to say hello to the troops, not my cup of tea politically but nice enough, told him a joke, didn't go down well! ha ha ha

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
John Lennon said one of the reasons he moved to New York was because he could just be himself without being hounded by fans and the paparazzi like he would have been in the UK

Well, I hope he did all right there. I’d hate to think of him being hounded by fans. :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ed Giddins. A couple of years below me at school. A bit of a cheeky shit.

That reminds me, many years ago my cricket team were doing a winter net session in the nets at the bottom of the Gilligan Stand. As we were finishing Giddins turned up with a bird he was trying to impress and started to bowl some looseners in the empty net next to us.

IIRC [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] was in bat and gamely volunteered to have Ed bowl a few at him when he'd finished in our net. Helmetless. It didn't stop Giddins sending down a bouncer, though he'd said something like "don't worry" just before starting his run up and, indeed, the ball thumped into the back canvas a good foot or so above my friend's head.

Hopefully he'll see the tag and let us know what it was like facing the cheeky shit from the other end of the net :lolol:

I've also faced a pro cricketer's bowling but it was Mike Gatting luckily and I drove a slow half volley back past him. This was during a Red Letter Day experience in Lords and Gatting looked after us all day. A man very fond of pubs and cheese and pickle but not so fond of questions about Pakistan and umpiring.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Isn’t there a poster on here who has had horizontal jogging sessions with Jordan and the girl out of Transvision Vamp.

Nick Sayer, the lead guitarist from Transvision Vamp was in my year at school. He was partner with Wendy James for a few years. I'm told he's back in Brighton after years away and living around Albion Hill somewhere. Not looking so rock n roll these days by account.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Paul McCartney apologised for his granddaughter pushing in the queue for sweets at the cinema in ashford, then found them sitting directly behind us in the film when the granddaughter kicked the back of my sons chair throughout the film, I didn’t like to complain :(

Mel Gibson at a diner on a trip to Death Valley California

Arnold Schwarzeneger sitting on the next table to us in a hotel in Chennai

Graham Swann, nasser Hussain, Ravi Shastri, VVS Laxman in the same hotel (not with Arnie)

Sat next to John Goodman, Thom Yorke, Ronnie Corbett on different flights and seen Rod Stewart, Lemmy, Nick Cave, Sebastian Coe, Cliff Richard on other flights.

Had a chat with Bobby Zamora when he sat opposite me on the train from london to Sevenoaks, nice guy.

Strangle enough I've seen Bobby on the train from Charing cross to Kent. But he was walking through the train.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anita Roddick and I knew each other enough to exchange pleasantries when I worked in Arundel. Colin Cowdrey used to come in the shop as well.
Saw George Lucas and Sandra Bullock (separately) at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Then Deputy Prime Minister Michael Heseltine had a chat with me when he visited the then London and Edinburgh insurance in Worthing.
Once in the same tube carriage as Ian Duncan-Smith. Big bloke. Mark Francois walked past me while waiting for a meeting in parliament. Not such a big bloke.
Met most of the now Labour front bench team. Had a long chat with Aneliese Dodds in Brighton a few years back while she was still an MEP.
Held Noel Gallagher's drink while he signed my copy of What's The Story Morning Glory at 93 Feet East in Brick Lane in London. His tactic was to stand at the bar so everyone came and said hello early on and then left him alone.
Was in the same bar as Paul McCartney in the Royal Festival Hall before a Motown reunion show.
Bumped into Paul Weller a few times on my travels. Actually less grumpy than he makes on.
Spent the evening in the Cricketers after Sussex won the title where it depended on Lancashire v Surrey. Chris Adams did a speech and had a long chat with Matt Prior

Curiously my favourites are:

Spending a day at Hove with former Sussex wicket keeper Rupert Webb. Was perhaps a bit young to appreciate it at the time but his stories about the likes of Ted Dexter and Brian Close were superb.

Had a drink with Steve Lamacq. Lovely guy with an encyclopaedic knowledge of music.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
That reminds me, many years ago my cricket team were doing a winter net session in the nets at the bottom of the Gilligan Stand. As we were finishing Giddins turned up with a bird he was trying to impress and started to bowl some looseners in the empty net next to us.

IIRC [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] was in bat and gamely volunteered to have Ed bowl a few at him when he'd finished in our net. Helmetless. It didn't stop Giddins sending down a bouncer, though he'd said something like "don't worry" just before starting his run up and, indeed, the ball thumped into the back canvas a good foot or so above my friend's head.

Hopefully he'll see the tag and let us know what it was like facing the cheeky shit from the other end of the net :lolol:

I've also faced a pro cricketer's bowling but it was Mike Gatting luckily and I drove a slow half volley back past him. This was during a Red Letter Day experience in Lords and Gatting looked after us all day. A man very fond of pubs and cheese and pickle but not so fond of questions about Pakistan and umpiring.

Blimey that takes me back! To be honest, I didn't even see the bouncer before it went past me! He bowled me a few overs after that and it was a massive experience facing a genuinely quick bowler!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This thread should be renamed “who’ve you seen that’s rich and famous...including on Television...and not necessarily rich...or famous either”! Hardly any of it’s exactly ‘mingling’ with the rich and famous. Or ‘Desperately trying to be associated with...’

In fact rename it “Name as many people as you can”, that’s about the sum of it! :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread should be renamed “who’ve you seen that’s rich and famous...including on Television...and not necessarily rich...or famous either”! Hardly any of it’s exactly ‘mingling’ with the rich and famous. Or ‘Desperately trying to be associated with...’

In fact rename it “Name as many people as you can”, that’s about the sum of it! :lolol:

I’d rename it “Famous people I’ve seen on an aeroplane.”

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Lol! You’ll definitely have more than me. Although Anna Friel was good company and bizarrely we had a friend in common.

I’m rubbish at celebrity spotting. I’ve even talked to couple walking my dog and not realised until wife said afterwards “do you realise who that was”? Saying that, TV make up can do wonders!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

If we are re- naming it ‘Famous people you’ve seen on an aeroplane’ may I include the best selling author Hilary Mantel then?

I was sitting on a flight back from Gothenburg once, minding my own business and reading Wolf Hall when a middle-aged women walking back to her seat from the lavatory stopped and said “Good book!”
“Yes,” I replied. “Have you read it?”
“One would like to think so,” she said. “I wrote it.”

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Anita Roddick and I knew each other enough to exchange pleasantries when I worked in Arundel. Colin Cowdrey used to come in the shop as well.
Saw George Lucas and Sandra Bullock (separately) at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Then Deputy Prime Minister Michael Heseltine had a chat with me when he visited the then London and Edinburgh insurance in Worthing.
Once in the same tube carriage as Ian Duncan-Smith. Big bloke. Mark Francois walked past me while waiting for a meeting in parliament. Not such a big bloke.
Met most of the now Labour front bench team. Had a long chat with Aneliese Dodds in Brighton a few years back while she was still an MEP.
Held Noel Gallagher's drink while he signed my copy of What's The Story Morning Glory at 93 Feet East in Brick Lane in London. His tactic was to stand at the bar so everyone came and said hello early on and then left him alone.
Was in the same bar as Paul McCartney in the Royal Festival Hall before a Motown reunion show.
Bumped into Paul Weller a few times on my travels. Actually less grumpy than he makes on.
Spent the evening in the Cricketers after Sussex won the title where it depended on Lancashire v Surrey. Chris Adams did a speech and had a long chat with Matt Prior

Curiously my favourites are:

Spending a day at Hove with former Sussex wicket keeper Rupert Webb. Was perhaps a bit young to appreciate it at the time but his stories about the likes of Ted Dexter and Brian Close were superb.

Had a drink with Steve Lamacq. Lovely guy with an encyclopaedic knowledge of music.

Rupert Webb passed away a couple of years ago, lovely man. Was a neighbour of mine. His wife once went out with Elvis.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

When I was at school we were coached at Taunton in the indoor nets during the winter by Dennis Breakwell, the Somerset spinner at the time. One evening Hallam Moseley (their WI pace bowler) came in and asked if he could ‘send a few looseners down to the lads’. He trundled in off about 6 paces, but first I knew he’d let go of the ball was the thud on the canvas behind me. He skilfully managed to hit my quivering bat with the next one, before utterly castling me with his third. Next !

Alan R

Apr 24, 2019
I was walking through the woods one sunny Sunday lunchtime when I bumped into the Queen.
We had a nice 5 minute chat, she was very pleasant even though I called her Elizabeth.
She did not seem to mind but her 2 security men were not very happy about it.
I respect her but I have always said that I would never call another human being maaaam, sir or your majesty.
Having lived in Ascot for 10 years I have met many members of royalty, show business and sport people.
I used to have my breakfast with Glenn Hoddle in a cafe when he was England manager, Forsythe was often in my local Chinese in Sunninghill, Ruud Hullit lived across the road Russ Abott was often in my local pub and many many more.

Gotta lay off the crack pipe mate :blush::lolol::lolol::amex::albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports