Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I live a few houses away from Darren Bett who does the weather forecast on the BBC after the 6pm and 10pm news. Supports Liverpool but helped out with my daughter’s school assignment on meteorology so not all bad.

Jamie Oliver lived just down the lane too but he’s moved now. Some women who was in Star Wars has bought his old house.

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
Used to drink and play pool with Davy Jones of the Monkees in Forest Row, he lived in a static caravan as he was completely screwed over and didn’t make much money out of the bands fame. Once I happened to be close by the caravan, heard a smashing of glass and saw the tv bouncing along the grass having come through the front window. A few days later I asked him what had happened, he said she wanted BBC and I wanted ITV and we didn’t agree. RIP

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Jumping on the name dropping express....like el Punal, my Dad went into the Pub trade after the RAF and we ended up in Shoreham. During the winter months we had Jim Parks and Les Lenham in on a regular basis as they were brewery reps when they weren't on a winter tours. Jim Parkes found out I liked cricket so he got me a place on the Sussex CC coaching classes, where my bowling coach was John Snow and my batting coach was some new bloke from SA called Tony Greig. Working in aviation I have meet various, the most memorable were Bo Derek and George Kennedy (Naked Gun), Olly Reed on a regular basis. He once turned up for a flight to Guernsey in a dressing gown and pajamas. When I asked why he replied "cause Peter (O'Toole) bet a a hundred quid I wouldn't do it. Did a bit of film extra work, had a fag with Gwyneth Paltrow on the film Sliding Doors. Had numerous coffees with Jasper Carrot when he filmed The Trial of Jasper Carrot. Seen Charles Dance chat up my Misses on another film set, then he did a runner when she introduced me to him and said "Can I bring my husband"? when he asked her out. Sold a garden furniture set to Laurence Olivier when he had house near Steyning. I had to deliver it put it together and then they (him and Joan Plowright) asked me to stay for tea. Which was nice! Had lunch at 10 Downing St after Maggie was reelected in 84. A reward for looking after her campaign flights that went out from Gatwick. My boss was not amused and thought he should have gone iso me. He was even more pissed off when he was told he had not passed the background security check:lolol: My favorite encounter was having a drink with Eric Clapton after a charity gig he did. Really nice guy and very down to earth. And here in the USA, I had quick chat with President Jimmy Carter in a local restaurant when I was living in Georgia. He had come to town to see his Grandson graduate.

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
I wax about 10 and saw Bernard Cribbins on the golf course, I got something for him to write on and asked for his autograph. He said “who’s it for”? I said “me”, so he scribbled down on the paper and we on his way. When I looked down he’d written ‘to Me form Me’ I was heart broken,

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I once potted a ball (from very close range) that Steve Davis had failed to pot with a trick shot. The ball hitting the pocket was edited in later.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Worked with a few but Tom Hardy and Mark Gattis were the nicest and most interesting to talk to.
John Nettles was amongst the rudest.

Have done some work for Michael Caine, he was very nice as was his wife. And met a few when doing security at signings etc. Baby Spice doesn't wear pants, Morrisey won't allow meat in the building for two days before he enters it, Paul Weller smokes fags wherever he wants to and Daniel O'Donnell's fans are nasty old *****.

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Got myself on Johnny Rotten's tour bus a few years ago.

Img_1876.jpg

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
I got off a train one Friday in 1999 at Battle station and walked along the platform and over the footbridge chatting to Desmond Llewelyn aka 'Q' from the James Bond films, having found myself right by him upon getting off. I asked him if he'd seen the upcoming 'The World Is Not Enough' to which he said he hadn't and that he only had a very small role in it. I said to him that a Bond film without him in it what not be the same and he thanked me. Lovely guy. He sadly died about a month-or-so later. :(

"Don't touch that, that's my lunch!"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My dad used to service his helicopter (and no, thats not a euphemism). I was only a kid and never met him, but I did get a signed Barry Sheene poster, which took pride of place on my attic playroom wall.

He used to come into a hangar at Gatwick, I for got about on my list.

I also forgot to mention Julian Clary who bought on number of items from a antique shop I co-owned. Been to his house on a number of occasions including for a BBQ, he lives in Noel Cowards old house

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
On a crowded commuter train back from Victoria in the mid 90s there was a spare seat next to a bizarre old hippy that nobody else was taking so I sat down. He struck up conversation and I quickly realised that it was Arthur Brown. He used to go up to London once a fortnight to have his neck looked at. We got along really well, he said he always tried to get a particular train as he had to get back to Lewes for a regular ceremony. For a few months I made sure I got on the same train and we'd have a chat about all kinds of stuff. After I left the job we stayed in touch and he used to invite me to various events in Lewes, Brighton and London. Lost touch with him about 10 years ago which I deeply regret.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Had breakfast with Hayden Panettiere, and the youngest ever Kentucky derby winning jockey.

Also got a light for my cigarette from some one off Beverley hills 90210, whatever it was called.

Last edited:

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
On holiday in Barbados a couple of moons ago and invited out for dinner with friends I was staying with. They failed to mention that they were pals with Gary Sobers and he joined us ! What a thoroughly top bloke, too young to have seen him play but still a bit starstruck. Got a few nice photos though.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Jumping on the name dropping express....like el Punal, my Dad went into the Pub trade after the RAF and we ended up in Shoreham. During the winter months we had Jim Parks and Les Lenham in on a regular basis as they were brewery reps when they weren't on a winter tours. Jim Parkes found out I liked cricket so he got me a place on the Sussex CC coaching classes, where my bowling coach was John Snow and my batting coach was some new bloke from SA called Tony Greig. Working in aviation I have meet various, the most memorable were Bo Derek and George Kennedy (Naked Gun), Olly Reed on a regular basis. He once turned up for a flight to Guernsey in a dressing gown and pajamas. When I asked why he replied "cause Peter (O'Toole) bet a a hundred quid I wouldn't do it. Did a bit of film extra work, had a fag with Gwyneth Paltrow on the film Sliding Doors. Had numerous coffees with Jasper Carrot when he filmed The Trial of Jasper Carrot. Seen Charles Dance chat up my Misses on another film set, then he did a runner when she introduced me to him and said "Can I bring my husband"? when he asked her out. Sold a garden furniture set to Laurence Olivier when he had house near Steyning. I had to deliver it put it together and then they (him and Joan Plowright) asked me to stay for tea. Which was nice! Had lunch at 10 Downing St after Maggie was reelected in 84. A reward for looking after her campaign flights that went out from Gatwick. My boss was not amused and thought he should have gone iso me. He was even more pissed off when he was told he had not passed the background security check:lolol: My favorite encounter was having a drink with Eric Clapton after a charity gig he did. Really nice guy and very down to earth. And here in the USA, I had quick chat with President Jimmy Carter in a local restaurant when I was living in Georgia. He had come to town to see his Grandson graduate.

OK, I have already stated my original post had been trumped! :lolol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have had several flight sleb brushings - most recently Nathan Ake and Chris Powell were both on our holiday flight last year (not together obviously). Chris and his Mrs were next to us in the passport immigration queue and Ake and his partner were sat a couple of rows in front of us on the plane (one of the cabin crew said to me at one point 'there's supposed to be a PL footballer on the flight but I don't know who he is..............'. I sat a couple of seats away from Jay Z on a flight from New York (I didn't know who he was, it was only after landing and some ground staff went running over to get selfies as we got off the Heathrow shuttle train that I found out). BA lounges very often have slebs in them too - best I remember seeing is Ronnie Wood getting turfed out of the First lounge at JFK for lighting up a fag and refusing to put it out:)

Hope for your sake the flight was pre watershed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Was this in Kent?

If so was it Deal or not Deal?

lol 42 years of deal
Or no deal. You wouldn’t wish that on your worst enemy. It was at the ideal homes exhibition. I was appearing on stage at the track home and wear show. Noel was doing a celebrity appearance and I was tasked with queueing at the bar and buying him a drink. Cost me 75 pence.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Who would have thought it?

I did a similar thing to Jamie Theakston at Loftus Road when he sat next to me, he enjoyed the experience so much he encouraged his mate to sit next to me the whole of the 2nd half.:laugh:

I suppose the main difference was, mine was not preplanned I was just hammered.:laugh::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Restraint comes naturally to some people

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Back in the days when we actually went to the office used to get coffee and breakfast from an independent Italian coffee shop where you’d frequently see Bill Nighy grabbing a cappuccino and some scrambled eggs on toast.

Back in my student days worked on the Tote at Royal Ascot for a couple of years in the summer and got posted to the Royal Enclosure boxes. Placed bets for Andy Gray, Richard Keys, Curbs, Lineker and a couple of other sports celebs.

Had breakfast on the table next to Linford Christie and Colin Jackson at the Bristol Post House Forte back in the late eighties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here