[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lol! You’ll definitely have more than me. Although Anna Friel was good company and bizarrely we had a friend in common.

I’m rubbish at celebrity spotting. I’ve even talked to couple walking my dog and not realised until wife said afterwards “do you realise who that was”? Saying that, TV make up can do wonders!

I’d trade all my celebrity spots for Anna Friel :love:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
PILTDOWN MAN;9748860) I also forgot to mention Julian Clary who bought on number of items from a antique shop I co-owned. Been to his house on a number of occasions including for a BBQ said:
Was he buying curios?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All right, for the pedants on here can I rename the Thread I was Mingling with the Rich and Famous at Midhurst COVID Clinic and NO other answers from anywhere else are required Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this Board...:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also forgot to mention Julian Clary who bought on number of items from a antique shop I co-owned. Been to his house on a number of occasions including for a BBQ, he lives in Noel Cowards old house

Which reminds me, living in Camden in the 90s I saw quite a few :
Julian Clary
Tim Burgess
The “Ugly Bloke” of TFI Friday
Sean Hughes
Sarah Cox
Chris Evans
Graham Coxon and Danny Goffey and Pearl Low used to live just down the road so saw them a lot.
Finlay Quay - off his face in a quiet bar at midday and got slung out for hitting a customer.

I have also seen Tricky here in Berlin; he lives near a bar I frequent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and a really good moment in my life was going to Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues club in Soho with a number of members of Seagulls Over London around 20 plus years ago and were all sat a table, friend goes to the bar and a guy comes in with a girl and takes the vacated seat...it’s Joe Strummer. We obviously can’t tell him the seat is taken so we spend the next hour or so with him. Absolutely lovely guy, offered to buy drinks, spoke to us for ages ...to the point where we were a little concerned we were intruding on his night....every time we eased off the conversation he would restart it.

[MENTION=24354]Cesar Chavez[/MENTION] was there I think.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Majority of the Albion squad from 2002 season in the cafe or gym at Sussex Uni.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Julian Clary
Tim Burgess
Sean Hughes
Sarah Cox
Chris Evans
Graham Coxon and Danny Goffey and Pearl Low used to live just down the road so saw them a lot.
Finlay Quay - off his face in a quiet bar at midday and got slung out for hitting a customer.

The ugly bloke off TFI Friday :lol: wasn’t it a different one each week though?! Wiiiillllll was on it. ‘Sorry love you’re just not my type’ :lol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Whilst at college I worked at a top airport hotel in “Guest Relations” which was basically a poor mans butler.

Highlights included

Having to put Cilla to bed after one too many

Ordered by an African President to shut the gym to all other guests so he could use it. He also sent me to the gift shop to pick him up some deodorant. The only thing they had in stock was Lynx Africa. I was slightly panicked that he might take this the wrong way but there was no alternative. He told me it was a nice touch and gave me $100

Meet Tony Blair and Sven (It was their first meeting together)

A lot of Brit Pop Artists

Stuart Pearce / Linekar / Des Walker

Jason Punchen at golf but wouldn’t say it’s a highlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That reminds me, many years ago my cricket team were doing a winter net session in the nets at the bottom of the Gilligan Stand. As we were finishing Giddins turned up with a bird he was trying to impress and started to bowl some looseners in the empty net next to us.

IIRC [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] was in bat and gamely volunteered to have Ed bowl a few at him when he'd finished in our net. Helmetless. It didn't stop Giddins sending down a bouncer, though he'd said something like "don't worry" just before starting his run up and, indeed, the ball thumped into the back canvas a good foot or so above my friend's head.

Hopefully he'll see the tag and let us know what it was like facing the cheeky shit from the other end of the net :lolol:

I've also faced a pro cricketer's bowling but it was Mike Gatting luckily and I drove a slow half volley back past him. This was during a Red Letter Day experience in Lords and Gatting looked after us all day. A man very fond of pubs and cheese and pickle but not so fond of questions about Pakistan and umpiring.

I missed Scoffers experience sadly, but I heard it was bruising.

In 1983, at 14, I went to the County Ground to see the Australians take on Sussex in a pre-World Cup limited overs match. A quick search has the match in early June but not seemingly in the first class stats. This may be because the first day was washed out and two one-day limited overs games were set up for the 2nd and 3rd. Quite why the Aussies had originally chosen to play a 3 day game is beyond me. I think this was the year they lost to Zimbabwe and exited the group stages.

It was the trend of one or two of us bolder kids to sneak into the club nets by the north of the pavilion. I had bowled at one or two fringe Sussex players in there before with the stewards either being too engrossed in the cricket, or too senile to know what was going on. Today was to be the cricketing pinnacle of my life if I could pull it off.

The match was pretty poor in attendance. Not a huge billing. Still, no-one had my front. Netting in relative peace were Graeme Wood and Trevor Chappell. Past the mass ranks of no security in I went and started to watch them. They were amenable and didn't mind. Then the crucial question. Could I have a bowl.

'Yes' came the reply.

For what seemed like forever, I bowled at Graeme Wood. He didn't bother with pads. Trevor Chappell was also bowling (not under-arm..), I felt like I was an honoury Aussie.

Of course, this would never happen now. It's a moment that I'll always cherish and the decency and accommodation of those guys I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Julian Clary
Tim Burgess
Sean Hughes
Sarah Cox
Chris Evans

My brother is a sound engineer and has worked with Finlay Quaye. That’s VERY similar to stories I’ve heard about him. Shame. Great voice.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was he buying curios?

No, no he wasn't. He bought an Irish Dresser, Oak table a couple of lamps and an oil painting. Nice chap and nothing like his act, his partner being more like that. One thing that surprised me was how bloody tall he is. He introduced me to his neighbour who is Paul O'Grady

scooter1

How soon is now?
My brother is a sound engineer and has worked with Finlay Quaye. That’s VERY similar to stories I’ve heard about him. Shame. Great voice.

I spoke to Finlay Quaye a couple of years ago on a business matter and he was still dining out on his 90s success, despite being a massive stoner and royally ****ing up his career. He firmly believed he was relevant

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dave BensonPhillips used to be a regular in my cafe , a few years ago.
Nice fella.

Another customer was the Reverend Ian Paisley . He used to holiday somewhere local and would call in occasionally for afternoon tea.
Always had a couple of wardrobe sized minders with him, but, I was surprised that he was quite small. When I’ve seen him on the telly he had always looked like a unit.

6d5642df57b8916f763c0601ce2a2b76.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I missed Scoffers experience sadly, but I heard it was bruising.

In 1983, at 14, I went to the County Ground to see the Australians take on Sussex in a pre-World Cup limited overs match. A quick search has the match in early June but not seemingly in the first class stats. This may be because the first day was washed out and two one-day limited overs games were set up for the 2nd and 3rd. Quite why the Aussies had originally chosen to play a 3 day game is beyond me. I think this was the year they lost to Zimbabwe and exited the group stages.

It was the trend of one or two of us bolder kids to sneak into the club nets by the north of the pavilion. I had bowled at one or two fringe Sussex players in there before with the stewards either being too engrossed in the cricket, or too senile to know what was going on. Today was to be the cricketing pinnacle of my life if I could pull it off.

The match was pretty poor in attendance. Not a huge billing. Still, no-one had my front. Netting in relative peace were Graeme Wood and Trevor Chappell. Past the mass ranks of no security in I went and started to watch them. They were amenable and didn't mind. Then the crucial question. Could I have a bowl.

'Yes' came the reply.

For what seemed like forever, I bowled at Graeme Wood. He didn't bother with pads. Trevor Chappell was also bowling (not under-arm..), I felt like I was an honoury Aussie.

Of course, this would never happen now. It's a moment that I'll always cherish and the decency and accommodation of those guys I'll never forget.

Sure does Trump my Ed Giddins story recounted by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

You always were very direct, I can totally see you doing that as a 14 year old!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports