Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Met Gus today and.....

CPT1

Feb 16, 2011
Had the opportunity to meet Gus today, and a couple of things came across.

He does not see Brighton as his long term plan, he quite clearly stated that he is not like alex ferguson, or arsene in their long term loyalty, and that being young he feels he needs to move around to learn new things.

He will put a strong team out against Stoke, and his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball. He definitely said that Glenn would be playing.

Real zaragozza have offered pre season friendly. Challenge in getting top premiership teams is their involvement in pre euro qualifications.

Martin Perry also spoke and infered that all season tickets are expected to be sold out by start of season. Stadium is on schedule to the day.

That is all!

Other than that comes across very well,

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Nothing too surprising in there to be honest. Don't think any realistic Brighton fan believes Gus will be around forever.

All good stuff about Stoke and season tickets as well.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Only real surprise is Real Zaragoza game, that would be great. Got to expect the talk of his moving on but seeing as he will leave us in a much better state then when he arrived I'll always love him. That said I bet he is here for 4 years at least. That is his timescale to carry out his masterplan.

CPT1

Feb 16, 2011
Crystal Palace Twat #1?

To add detail to this thread, Gus and the rest of the board including Martin, dick, ken and Peter were giving a speech about Albion in the community, and open questions were posed.

If needed, other responses to prove validity, include Gus responding on questions such as; he has not bought a property in Brighton because he only lives 45 mins away and one son is going to university and another is about to play for England u16, not sure how that is related but that was his response.

He was apparently wearing a boss shirt which was deemed appropriate.

Was not willing to comment on Chelsea purchase of Torres.

He was quite apparently unaware of the business side of the company eg. Season tickets sales, etc. As seemed impressed when Martin was speaking, etc.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
all seems very believable
yet why assume a moniker easily interpreted as demonstrated if you don't want to be accused of trollery?
either an intelligent and thorough troll of great subtlety or a peculiar new poster reporting faithfully serious albion business with a monogram name about PALACE!

CPT1

Feb 16, 2011
all seems very believable
yet why assume a moniker easily interpreted as demonstrated if you don't want to be accused of trollery?
either an intelligent and thorough troll of great subtlety or a peculiar new poster reporting faithfully serious albion business with a monogram name about PALACE!

I apologise for my initials, and only have I now realised there is a vague resemble to the palace.

AAnother thing which was brought up which I thought was very odd, and came from Peter Godfrey, was referring to the £1.5bn value put on mufc by a hedge fund and how that Brighton should be thinking about their valuation in response to this and their future valuation. Was an odd response, and I wonder whether the board do see an opportunity in either floating the company or flogging it on, and making Tony a decent profit.

Not sure if this was just peters business head getting ahead of him, or whether this is a realistic option.

MidSussexSeagull

Nov 24, 2006
I was there as well. It was held at Amex House and was open to Amex employees and was to launch the link between Amex and AITC. The aim is to get Amex staff to volunteer and help out with AITC events. Another thing that came out is that discussions over the naming rights of the stadium have been ongoing for years, only for Amex to pull out about 18 months ago as they felt they couldn't justify it while making people redundant. The talks only started again a year ago! Overall a very interested hour and got to meet Gus and Tanno after!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

He does not see Brighton as his long term plan, he quite clearly stated that he is not like alex ferguson, or arsene in their long term loyalty, and that being young he feels he needs to move around to learn new things.

He will put a strong team out against Stoke, and his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball. He definitely said that Glenn would be playing.

Real zaragozza have offered pre season friendly. Challenge in getting top premiership teams is their involvement in pre euro qualifications.

Martin Perry also spoke and infered that all season tickets are expected to be sold out by start of season. Stadium is on schedule to the day.

That is all!

'My mentality now is to stay here for a long time,' he says. 'If we can do the things we are doing here, then why not?'

Right old charlie change your mind isn't he?

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I consider it impertinent, impudent and insolent for people to impose their unexamined moral and value judgements on others.
Here in Auckland I recall Chris Wood was too effeminate for rugby.
I like the way our club is being run, in every sector, like a successful business - very 21st century.
Premiership season after next in order to evaluate our worth.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
'My mentality now is to stay here for a long time,' he says. 'If we can do the things we are doing here, then why not?'

Right old charlie change your mind isn't he?

Quite, whether he is genuine or not is a good question, but Gus has never failed to paint the picture of someone who sticks around. This is why I don't believe the original post.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I raised the Zaragoza question and was pleasantly surprised to find it was already on the agenda. I would personally like to see a continental team with some flair open the Amex where we could perhaps establish links a la Le Harve. It is a friendly university city, all be it with an army base nearby, had a great visit in 82 when the Republic played there.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That would be a very strange thing for any manager to say.

CPT1 said:
his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball.
You dont need possession to grab goals from free-kicks or throw ins, in fact that is the benefit of mastering those kind of situations. Again that would be a very strange comment.

CPT1 said:
Challenge in getting top premiership teams is their involvement in pre euro qualifications.
There are more premiership teams without euro involvement than there are with euro involvement. I dont think we were expecting a Man U or Arsenal friendly were we? What about the other "non top" premiership sides? Strange.

I smell an intelligent and thorough troll of great subtlety - although I must admit my suspision is at least partly born out of the fact that I dont want to believe the "long term plan"/loyalty comments. :down:

I am also generally suspicious of 1st posts containing "new information".

New posters should be watched closely :whistle:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Fake poster alert. There is no way that Gus would reveal that info. to a anybody.

So please leave it!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Just to clarify a couple of points that have been raised here.

Gus's long term plans
I think the original poster may be confusing two answers Gus gave to two separate questions.

The reference to Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger actually came in an answer to a question where he stated that right now his ambition was to be like them and spend a long long time with the club and look to take it forward and grow with the club.

Quite a bit later in the Q&A, another questioneer asked what challenges Gus saw ahead of him in his career - I think the questioneer was refering to challenges for Brighton but Gus took it as personal challenges to his managerial career. Gus stated that there are two ways in which a manager leaves a club. One is if results suffer and the board decides to change, and the other is if the manager cannot take the club any further forward and therefore needs to move to progress.

It was at this point that his highlighted that his ambition was to manage at the highest level one day and recognition that he may have to move around to achieve that. He highlighted that as a player he had learnt a lot from spending time at diffeerent clubs in different countries and implied that the same benefits may apply to a managerial career.

However, and a big however, is that all of this was with the implied codicil that this would only occur if he reached a point where further progression forward/upward with Brighton was no longer possible. Given his earlier answer I firmly believe he was talking four or five years hence and who can predict what the situation might be then?

My belief remains that he will become comfortably our longest serving manager since Barry Lloyd - and who knows, may even eclipse him.

Gus's Residential situation
With regards to property, again - possibly because of his accent and that I am more used to it and can understand him a little bit easier - he actually said that he had not bought a property in Brighton yet because of his children, and also because it was only a 45 min drive (what he did not say however was that he makes that 45 min drive before 7am and is always first at the training ground!).

HOWEVER, one son was off to University in September, and the other has a bright football career ahead of him (currently plays for England U 16) and so would also certainly be "moving on" with his footballing career.

Therefore Gus stated that he would probably be looking for a property in Brighton next year.

Stoke City

The OP comments that Gus said "his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball."

This was a tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment. He was asked about Stoke and said he was not going to reveal his tactics for Saturday. Then in a "stage aside" he quipped about preventing them from getting throw-ins, as an obvious but unstated allusion to Rory Delap.

So there you have it - the masterplan for Saturday - don't give away any throw ins !

Pre-season Opposition

Dick raised this point about the Euro competitions clouding things and it is a genuine point. Premiership clubs cannot fully plan their pre-season until they know their Euro status - which includes the Intertoto (or whatever it is called these days). A lucrative overseas tour or tournament is often on the agenda but until they know exactly how the start of 2011/12 will pan out for them they cannot commit to anything.

Given that Intertoto qualification can go right down to 10th place (or thereabouts) I would say that virtually every team in the top ten cannot currently commit to anything pre-season. Having said that, while I have no personal insights, I am certain we have had some "gentlemans discussions" with one or two of the current top five or six!

Hope this makes the responses clearer - however the whole event was filmed so possibly might be appearing on a Seagulls Player special at some point in the near future

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you for the clarification Mustela Furo! :cheers: :albion1:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex

That is all!

really???
You're a newbie with a Palarse related name. WUM bells ringing already.
Where did you meet Gus and under what circumstances?
You had a long chat with him did you? He told you his team for Stoke did he?

Dunce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here