Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Met Gus today and.....

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
really???
You're a newbie with a Palarse related name. WUM bells ringing already.
Where did you meet Gus and under what circumstances?
You had a long chat with him did you? He told you his team for Stoke did he?

Dunce

As others have mentioned Gus had a Q&A session at American Express yesterday.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
cheers Mustelo,

Funny how all these 'insiders' (original poster incl.) all seem to have registered in 2011!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Thanks for the clarification. Kind of the OP to come on and share the intel, shame he skewed it quite so badly (are you sure you're not a red top journo?? or Andy Naylor in disguise CPT1?)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
really???
You're a newbie with a Palarse related name. WUM bells ringing already.
Where did you meet Gus and under what circumstances?
You had a long chat with him did you? He told you his team for Stoke did he?

Dunce
You are a Dunce, he was at the Amex Community meeting yesterday in Edward Street, open to Amex employees. If you read all of the above posts all will become clear.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All very interesting ..... however, things change in football. If we go on a losing streak of 5 or 6 games, say early next season after promotion, fans will soon start questioning his position. He could be offered a job that he really couldn't turn down - not one of the big 6, but say, a middle tier prem club with good backing.

I have no doubt he is with us for the short term, and he is being genuine when talking about medium to long term plans, but circumstances change very quickly.

I apologise for my initials, and only have I now realised there is a vague resemble to the [NMH edit] filthy palace.

AAnother thing which was brought up which I thought was very odd, and came from Peter Godfrey, was referring to the £1.5bn value put on mufc by a hedge fund and how that Brighton should be thinking about their valuation in response to this and their future valuation. Was an odd response, and I wonder whether the board do see an opportunity in either floating the company or flogging it on, and making Tony a decent profit.

Not sure if this was just peters business head getting ahead of him, or whether this is a realistic option.

A message to you;
Ahem.
IF you are of ANY intelligence whatsoever, which I suspect you only deploy for time-wasting stuff like this thread, you will realise that most of your info is simple stuff that anyone could garner without meeting Gus Poyet.

If you expect ANYONE to believe he would express to you (so you could promptly JOIN NSC JUST TO PASS THE INFO ON!) that he has no loyalty, then you are not so very intelligent after all. And "not like Ferguson or Wenger" in that department?? ..... I mean come the **c* on sonny (missy), which sensible manager of any club is going to avoid aligning himself with the two most successful managers in England and The WORLD ffs.

I repeat; ffs.

Just letting you know, like - and 0/10 for you. :thumbsdown: ???

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just to clarify a couple of points that have been raised here.

Gus's long term plans
I think the original poster may be confusing two answers Gus gave to two separate questions.

The reference to Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger actually came in an answer to a question where he stated that right now his ambition was to be like them and spend a long long time with the club and look to take it forward and grow with the club.

Quite a bit later in the Q&A, another questioneer asked what challenges Gus saw ahead of him in his career - I think the questioneer was refering to challenges for Brighton but Gus took it as personal challenges to his managerial career. Gus stated that there are two ways in which a manager leaves a club. One is if results suffer and the board decides to change, and the other is if the manager cannot take the club any further forward and therefore needs to move to progress.

It was at this point that his highlighted that his ambition was to manage at the highest level one day and recognition that he may have to move around to achieve that. He highlighted that as a player he had learnt a lot from spending time at diffeerent clubs in different countries and implied that the same benefits may apply to a managerial career.

However, and a big however, is that all of this was with the implied codicil that this would only occur if he reached a point where further progression forward/upward with Brighton was no longer possible. Given his earlier answer I firmly believe he was talking four or five years hence and who can predict what the situation might be then?

My belief remains that he will become comfortably our longest serving manager since Barry Lloyd - and who knows, may even eclipse him.

Gus's Residential situation
With regards to property, again - possibly because of his accent and that I am more used to it and can understand him a little bit easier - he actually said that he had not bought a property in Brighton yet because of his children, and also because it was only a 45 min drive (what he did not say however was that he makes that 45 min drive before 7am and is always first at the training ground!).

HOWEVER, one son was off to University in September, and the other has a bright football career ahead of him (currently plays for England U 16) and so would also certainly be "moving on" with his footballing career.

Therefore Gus stated that he would probably be looking for a property in Brighton next year.

Stoke City

The OP comments that Gus said "his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball."

This was a tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment. He was asked about Stoke and said he was not going to reveal his tactics for Saturday. Then in a "stage aside" he quipped about preventing them from getting throw-ins, as an obvious but unstated allusion to Rory Delap.

So there you have it - the masterplan for Saturday - don't give away any throw ins !

Pre-season Opposition

Dick raised this point about the Euro competitions clouding things and it is a genuine point. Premiership clubs cannot fully plan their pre-season until they know their Euro status - which includes the Intertoto (or whatever it is called these days). A lucrative overseas tour or tournament is often on the agenda but until they know exactly how the start of 2011/12 will pan out for them they cannot commit to anything.

Given that Intertoto qualification can go right down to 10th place (or thereabouts) I would say that virtually every team in the top ten cannot currently commit to anything pre-season. Having said that, while I have no personal insights, I am certain we have had some "gentlemans discussions" with one or two of the current top five or six!

Hope this makes the responses clearer - however the whole event was filmed so possibly might be appearing on a Seagulls Player special at some point in the near future

What a huge difference between this and the OP... just goes to show how easily things are misconstrued.

Just to clarify a couple of points that have been raised here.

Gus's long term plans
I think the original poster may be confusing two answers Gus gave to two separate questions.

The reference to Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger actually came in an answer to a question where he stated that right now his ambition was to be like them and spend a long long time with the club and look to take it forward and grow with the club.

Quite a bit later in the Q&A, another questioneer asked what challenges Gus saw ahead of him in his career - I think the questioneer was refering to challenges for Brighton but Gus took it as personal challenges to his managerial career. Gus stated that there are two ways in which a manager leaves a club. One is if results suffer and the board decides to change, and the other is if the manager cannot take the club any further forward and therefore needs to move to progress.

It was at this point that his highlighted that his ambition was to manage at the highest level one day and recognition that he may have to move around to achieve that. He highlighted that as a player he had learnt a lot from spending time at diffeerent clubs in different countries and implied that the same benefits may apply to a managerial career.

However, and a big however, is that all of this was with the implied codicil that this would only occur if he reached a point where further progression forward/upward with Brighton was no longer possible. Given his earlier answer I firmly believe he was talking four or five years hence and who can predict what the situation might be then?

My belief remains that he will become comfortably our longest serving manager since Barry Lloyd - and who knows, may even eclipse him.

Gus's Residential situation
With regards to property, again - possibly because of his accent and that I am more used to it and can understand him a little bit easier - he actually said that he had not bought a property in Brighton yet because of his children, and also because it was only a 45 min drive (what he did not say however was that he makes that 45 min drive before 7am and is always first at the training ground!).

HOWEVER, one son was off to University in September, and the other has a bright football career ahead of him (currently plays for England U 16) and so would also certainly be "moving on" with his footballing career.

Therefore Gus stated that he would probably be looking for a property in Brighton next year.

Stoke City

The OP comments that Gus said "his belief is that stoke will not be able to play to their advantage of throw ins, and set plays, etc. If they cannot get the ball."

This was a tongue-in-cheek throwaway comment. He was asked about Stoke and said he was not going to reveal his tactics for Saturday. Then in a "stage aside" he quipped about preventing them from getting throw-ins, as an obvious but unstated allusion to Rory Delap.

So there you have it - the masterplan for Saturday - don't give away any throw ins !

Pre-season Opposition

Dick raised this point about the Euro competitions clouding things and it is a genuine point. Premiership clubs cannot fully plan their pre-season until they know their Euro status - which includes the Intertoto (or whatever it is called these days). A lucrative overseas tour or tournament is often on the agenda but until they know exactly how the start of 2011/12 will pan out for them they cannot commit to anything.

Given that Intertoto qualification can go right down to 10th place (or thereabouts) I would say that virtually every team in the top ten cannot currently commit to anything pre-season. Having said that, while I have no personal insights, I am certain we have had some "gentlemans discussions" with one or two of the current top five or six!

Hope this makes the responses clearer - however the whole event was filmed so possibly might be appearing on a Seagulls Player special at some point in the near future

Respect!

Most of the above says as much to us, about what Tony Bloom has conveyed and intends for this club.

Gus Poyet, we can pretty-safely assume to be a smart man. He will have listened carefully to what the chairman wants for Brighton and Hove Albion before he joined a 3rd-tier club with a recent history of departed managers playing at a local athletics track.

Neither GP or TB are what you'd call 'losers'. Tony B has just stuck over a hundred million pounds of 'neck' out - not to be chopped off with fooling decisions or short-term investment.

NOW look Mr CPTit1, this sort of FACT is what now underlines BHAFC faith in this club and staff.
Not to say that mice and men never come undone, but we compete and do business with other such creatures in this sport, so it's from a 'level playing field' as they say.

You'd be wiser to have an allegiance to The Albion now, wouldn't you?? A pretty sound investment :bigwave:

(edit; is there still time for you to change your handle to BHAT1?)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
thanx to Mustela Furo for his more detailed post, as for the original poster your post might not be 100 percent accurate but i am sorry the way some of our supporters have welcome you , gee god help any new members wanted to join this forum and make there first post, quote: ffsdingodan.. New posters should be watched closely, eh you only posted twice lol,

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Christ, the guy joins NSC, imparts some information, and cops a shed load of abuse! I guess he won't be back in a hurry and who can blame him. What's wrong with you people?

My thoughts exactly. And as for the username, they are the same initials as my little brother (Drumstick) hardly uncommon and a bit of a jump to call it a Palace reference!!

DanielT

Had the opportunity to meet Gus today, and a couple of things came across.

Thanks CPT1, and thanks also to Mustela Furo for clarifying. I don't think CPT1 was trying to mislead, it seems he was genuinely trying to pass on interesting information. The memory is a funny thing, and unless you have a voice recorder and then transcribe, your mind can mix things up. Most, if not all, have been guilty of this in the past, so go easy on him - he had good motives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here