Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayweather fight ?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Love how people are slagging of Mayweather when the other fella clearly nutted him totally on purpose, i wouldnt have even waited for the ref to penalise him would have put him straight on his ass

clash of heads??? It was a blatent headbutt. Mayweather did nothing illegal....its like a team scoring from a freekick while the defending team are still getting their wall ready....not the most sporting thing but within the rules. Ortiz was never going to win this fight which is why he probably lost control with the headbutt......the ref handled the whole situation very poorly too which didnt help the situation.

I'd heard complaints about Mayweather's win from friends in the US, but watching that I'd have to agree with this post.
'Not sure about who might have won or lost, but Ortiz had already warranted a disqualification - and if he had been, everyone would have agreed with a Mayweather win!
Because Mayweather decided the fight over like he did, it became his win anyway.... but just made it two wrongs, to do it.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
While I think that ultimately it's Ortiz' fault for breaking the golden rule "protect yourself at all times", it was still an all round classless night for Mayweather.

He is undoubtedly the greatest boxer of his generation and has lightening quick reactions and awareness - he would have known full well that Ortiz wasn't protecting himself and wasn't in fighting mode at that point - he ko'ed him all the same - The greatest fighter in the world shouldn't have to resort to that.

And then to get aggressive with Larry Merchant (as much as I've always disliked him) was pathetic and completely classless. Tonight was the only time in my 25 years of watching boxing that I've actually enjoyed Larry Merchant. When he told Floyd "If I was 50 years younger I would kick your ass" I let out a cheer.

Poor show from a great fighter.

As a positive, hopefully all the stick he receives and the undoubted stain on his legacy will be the kick up his arse to get the fight made with Manny Pacquiao

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I'd heard complaints about Mayweather's win from friends in the US, but watching that I'd have to agree with this post.
'Not sure about who might have won or lost, but Ortiz had already warranted a disqualification - and if he had been, everyone would have agreed with a Mayweather win!
Because Mayweather decided the fight over like he did, it became his win anyway.... but just made it two wrongs, to do it.

i agree you cant know who would have won the fight had it continued but Mayweather was controlling the fight his way, and the last 41 times this has happened he has won, in the first 4 rounds it didnt look like Ortiz had anything that was going to cause Maywether problems. Mayweather is not the most popular of boxers in the US and i doubt this fight will help his cause but you cannot argue with the fact that as a boxer Mayweather is a class act and i hope the fight with Manni comes off!!!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
i agree you cant know who would have won the fight had it continued but Mayweather was controlling the fight his way, and the last 41 times this has happened he has won, in the first 4 rounds it didnt look like Ortiz had anything that was going to cause Maywether problems. Mayweather is not the most popular of boxers in the US and i doubt this fight will help his cause but you cannot argue with the fact that as a boxer Mayweather is a class act and i hope the fight with Manni comes off!!!

Class acts don't resort to dirty tactics to get a win. Would you say Tyson was a class act in the ring?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Class acts don't resort to dirty tactics to get a win. Would you say Tyson was a class act in the ring?

so head butts are not dirty tactics?

Why is everyone slagging of mayweather the other fighter was totally at fault, he got what was coming to him when ya do that to a fighter, also never put ya guard down.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
so head butts are not dirty tactics?

Why is everyone slagging of mayweather the other fighter was totally at fault, he got what was coming to him when ya do that to a fighter, also never put ya guard down.

I've not defended the other bloke, but to call Mayweather a class act is pushing the boundaries somewhat. All along I have said the fight should have been deemed null and void as they both deserved to be DSQ'd. Ortiz was filthy, Mayweather was completely unsporting and lost it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Everybody is complaining about maywether but from that video he had been headbutted 30 seconds before, so the other guy looked like he got what he deserved.
He got what he deserved, but the fans didn't. Head-butt was bad, but Mayweather just took him out when the guy was apologising.

I'm on Mayweather's side here. The fight was back on, Ortiz had already hugged him, kissed him and when they touched gloves surely it was time to box. Defend yourselves at all times are the words that spring to mind.
Defend yourself is advice given to stop people getting injured, but they hadn't stepped back from the 'hug'. As a person, Mayweather is a complete scumbag, so it's par for the course.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I've not defended the other bloke, but to call Mayweather a class act is pushing the boundaries somewhat. All along I have said the fight should have been deemed null and void as they both deserved to be DSQ'd. Ortiz was filthy, Mayweather was completely unsporting and lost it.

Yeah but if someone had just done that to you, you would lose your cool not making out Mayweather is right but seems everyone is pinning the blame on him.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yeah but if someone had just done that to you, you would lose your cool not making out Mayweather is right but seems everyone is pinning the blame on him.

A boxer should NEVER lose his cool. As I said above, once a boxer starts losing his cool it is time to retire. You should NEVER retaliate in the ring. Once you're out of the ring you can brand him a cheat, call his mother all the names you want, but not when you're fighting. That is how injury occurs.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It's unsportsmanlike & cowardly to pretend you are about to acknowledge a touch of gloves or hug then punch an off guard opponent..... It's the kind of thing you see in unlicensed or bareknuckle boxing & will only damage the reputation of the sport that so many have already tried to get banned..... Mayweathers a prick

I don't see see him 'pretending' to acknowledge the touching of gloves or a hug. Ortiz had already hugged him AND kissed him AND touched gloves. The referee had told them to box, so he boxed. Ortiz knows this too hence the fairly resigned way he took defeat.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
He got what he deserved, but the fans didn't. Head-butt was bad, but Mayweather just took him out when the guy was apologising.

Defend yourself is advice given to stop people getting injured, but they hadn't stepped back from the 'hug'. As a person, Mayweather is a complete scumbag, so it's par for the course.

Don't disagree re: Mayweather being a scumbag, but Ortiz had already apologised and Mayweather in no way accepts or pretends to accept ANOTHER hug. He does what the ref tells him.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Gutted to miss this fight; but there's only one fight the world wants & Mr Mayweather is running scared of the Pac-Man.
God I would LOVE to see Manny beat him.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I like how khan has said he wants to fight paq lol

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
clash of heads??? It was a blatent headbutt. Mayweather did nothing illegal....its like a team scoring from a freekick while the defending team are still getting their wall ready....not the most sporting thing but within the rules. Ortiz was never going to win this fight which is why he probably lost control with the headbutt......the ref handled the whole situation very poorly too which didnt help the situation.

You cant draw ANY comparison with football, it doesn't work, yes it was an illegal headbutt but it's pretty common... How much boxing do you people actually watch ?
Im not justifying the nut I'm just saying it's part an ugly part of boxing that happens but what mayweather did was underhand.

I know I've seen plenty of headbutts during fights but I've never seen anybody do anything as chicken shit as that, all he's done is tarnished a win he would have got anyway

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Love how people are slagging of Mayweather when the other fella clearly nutted him totally on purpose, i wouldnt have even waited for the ref to penalise him would have put him straight on his ass
Yeah I'm sure you would mate

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
While I think that ultimately it's Ortiz' fault for breaking the golden rule "protect yourself at all times", it was still an all round classless night for Mayweather.

He is undoubtedly the greatest boxer of his generation and has lightening quick reactions and awareness - he would have known full well that Ortiz wasn't protecting himself and wasn't in fighting mode at that point - he ko'ed him all the same - The greatest fighter in the world shouldn't have to resort to that.

And then to get aggressive with Larry Merchant (as much as I've always disliked him) was pathetic and completely classless. Tonight was the only time in my 25 years of watching boxing that I've actually enjoyed Larry Merchant. When he told Floyd "If I was 50 years younger I would kick your ass" I let out a cheer.

Poor show from a great fighter.

As a positive, hopefully all the stick he receives and the undoubted stain on his legacy will be the kick up his arse to get the fight made with Manny Pacquiao

Agree with all of this apart from him being the greatest fighter of his generation, the PACMAN would relentlessly keep coming forward & destroy him IMO ...... Let's hope we get to see if I'm right or wrong though

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I don't see see him 'pretending' to acknowledge the touching of gloves or a hug. Ortiz had already hugged him AND kissed him AND touched gloves. The referee had told them to box, so he boxed. Ortiz knows this too hence the fairly resigned way he took defeat.
Mate it was pathetic & made mayweather look like a cock, if it was as fair as you're making out then we & hundreds of other websites wouldn't be talking about it, simple !

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
You cant draw ANY comparison with football, it doesn't work, yes it was an illegal headbutt but it's pretty common... How much boxing do you people actually watch ?
Im not justifying the nut I'm just saying it's part an ugly part of boxing that happens but what mayweather did was underhand.

I know I've seen plenty of headbutts during fights but I've never seen anybody do anything as chicken shit as that, all he's done is tarnished a win he would have got anyway

you can draw comparisons to any sport where a so called unsporting action takes place but is still within the rules. Boxing has always been my second sport after football so i have watched plenty over the years and yes boxers do go in with their heads but not like Ortiz did last night!! I actually thought Mayweather dealt pretty well and didnt make a fuss about it.....someone like Zab Judah would have been rolling around on the floor holding his face!!!!
Still...its all about opinions. Could be some good fights in the pipeline for next year!!!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
you can draw comparisons to any sport where a so called unsporting action takes place but is still within the rules. Boxing has always been my second sport after football so i have watched plenty over the years and yes boxers do go in with their heads but not like Ortiz did last night!! I actually thought Mayweather dealt pretty well and didnt make a fuss about it.....someone like Zab Judah would have been rolling around on the floor holding his face!!!!
Still...its all about opinions. Could be some good fights in the pipeline for next year!!!

Yeah none of us are going to change eachothers minds & they both went in for a fight at the end of the day ..... It's all good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here