Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayweather fight ?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Unbelievable. You may say the fight was on but the hug wasn't even over, and he flat out punched an unguarded man in the chops. Snide.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm on Mayweather's side here. The fight was back on, Ortiz had already hugged him, kissed him and when they touched gloves surely it was time to box. Defend yourselves at all times are the words that spring to mind.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
What has Mayweather done wrong. The ref tells them to box. It's like any other sport where the ref instructs play to start - you can't be a goalkeeper hear the blow of a whistle for a penalty and then claim you're not ready (Barthez did this a while back, no?).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm on Mayweather's side here. The fight was back on, Ortiz had already hugged him, kissed him and when they touched gloves surely it was time to box. Defend yourselves at all times are the words that spring to mind.
Yeah I'm willing to be talked round, but I agree.
The other fella was mentals and needed putting away sooner rather than later.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

Then mayweather should have put his gloves up & not made it look like he was about to accept the apology/hug, unsporting tw@t
Shame he'll never fight manny, floyd hates getting hit & he knows manny's got the speed & won't stop coming forward for the whole 12 rounds if need be

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
What has Mayweather done wrong. The ref tells them to box. It's like any other sport where the ref instructs play to start - you can't be a goalkeeper hear the blow of a whistle for a penalty and then claim you're not ready (Barthez did this a while back, no?).
It's unsportsmanlike & cowardly to pretend you are about to acknowledge a touch of gloves or hug then punch an off guard opponent..... It's the kind of thing you see in unlicensed or bareknuckle boxing & will only damage the reputation of the sport that so many have already tried to get banned..... Mayweathers a prick

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Poor ref tonight and he should have stood between the fighters till he called time back in and fight.......however he had called the fight back in and mayweather was well within his rights to do what he did,particularly as he had just received one of the most blatent headbutts ive seen in boxing, protect yourself at all times is the golden rule and ortiz didn't, surprised there was no complaints from Ortiz or his team but I got the feeling he was happy to be out of there and take his pay cheque home!!!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Poor ref tonight and he should have stood between the fighters till he called time back in and fight.......however he had called the fight back in and mayweather was well within his rights to do what he did,particularly as he had just received one of the most blatent headbutts ive seen in boxing, protect yourself at all times is the golden rule and ortiz didn't, surprised there was no complaints from Ortiz or his team but I got the feeling he was happy to be out of there and take his pay cheque home!!!

Nope ..... Poor show from mayweather, pretending to hug then giving an opponent a hook is pathetic

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
It's not so much the timing of it, it's the fact mayweather tricked him into being in an unguarded stance AND frame of mind before punching him.... Very underhand and not the done thing.
As for the clash of heads well it's the nature of the sport & even if intentional the opposing fighter is braced & aware that a blow of some sort will be coming his way (or at least he should be) especially during a flurry of punches as was the case in that incident.

And yes Cortez is a joke

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's not so much the timing of it, it's the fact mayweather tricked him into being in an unguarded stance AND frame of mind before punching him.... Very underhand and not the done thing.
As for the clash of heads well it's the nature of the sport & even if intentional the opposing fighter is braced & aware that a blow of some sort will be coming his way (or at least he should be) especially during a flurry of punches as was the case in that incident.

And yes Cortez is a joke

The headbutt was possibly the most obvious headbutt I've ever seen.
Mayweather's move I have never seen before, and was a disgrace to the sport. Completely unsporting and should desperation and retaliation. Clearly he lost his head, and when a boxer starts losing his head it's time to retire.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
The headbutt was possibly the most obvious headbutt I've ever seen.
Mayweather's move I have never seen before, and was a disgrace to the sport. Completely unsporting and should desperation and retaliation. Clearly he lost his head, and when a boxer starts losing his head it's time to retire.

Agreed !!!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

And yes Cortez is a joke

clash of heads??? It was a blatent headbutt. Mayweather did nothing illegal....its like a team scoring from a freekick while the defending team are still getting their wall ready....not the most sporting thing but within the rules. Ortiz was never going to win this fight which is why he probably lost control with the headbutt......the ref handled the whole situation very poorly too which didnt help the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here