Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan dropped for Fulham game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was that game, but Zamora had been on loan to us before. In fact I'm not even sure he had actually signed for that game or whether it was a couple of games later.

Pretty sure he signed for us before the season started. Happy to be corrected though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty sure he signed for us before the season started. Happy to be corrected though.
Perhaps he did, but it was only just before the start of the season in that case. It was looking like Lee Steele would be our main striker for a while.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ryan should get game time now, wonder if he does well enough to be difficult to shift after it.

I think Leno will only be suspended for 1 game as he was sent off for a professional foul rather than violent conduct. Not much chance for Ryan to make an impact if he recovers from injury in time.

It was that game, but Zamora had been on loan to us before. In fact I'm not even sure he had actually signed for that game or whether it was a couple of games later.

Bobby signed for us permanently a couple of days before the Southend game and started for us on the day. This is what lead to the buoyant mood of the fans before the game given that and the fact we'd gone 14 games unbeaten at the end of the previous season.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I remember that "Bring on the Champions" chant - it all went quite flat but Zamora up front and the whole team was just outstanding. It would have been outstanding a level higher too, as proven the following season.

Mark Cartwright did very well for us until his injury, and then he was just outshone by an inspired Michel. What a team that was - Watson, Mayo, Cullip, Crosby, Rodgers, Oatway, Carpenter, Brooker, Jones, Hart. Magnificent.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I had a feeling some while ago that this situation would develop as it has. Maty Ryan is a good shot stopper and distributor of the ball but his weakness was on defending crosses into the eighteen yard box. He always gave me heart palpitations when the opposition attacked.m

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bet Maty can't WAIT to ditch this life in The Land Of The Whingeing Pom now. Novelty of this European adventure must have worn a bit thin now, time to return to the sun, tread surf in the A-League and enjoy the fruits of his hard graft European earnings in The Lucky Country. Top man Maty :bowdown:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Bet Maty can't WAIT to ditch this life in The Land Of The Whingeing Pom now. Novelty of this European adventure must have worn a bit thin now, time to return to the sun, tread surf in the A-League and enjoy the fruits of his hard graft European earnings in The Lucky Country. Top man Maty :bowdown:

Quite possibly that is how he feels, but he will be receiving multiple amounts more income sitting on the bench with a Premier League contract than playing in the A-League.
He won't be going anywhere all the time he can play in a top European league.

He's only 28 and potentially has another 8 years earning big money (£30K pw/£1.5m p.a.).
If he can hang around with a contract for that long, he will never have to work again if he's sensible.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Quite possibly that is how he feels, but he will be receiving multiple amounts more income sitting on the bench with a Premier League contract than playing in the A-League.

He's only 28 and potentially has another 8 years earning big money (£30K pw/£1.5m p.a.).
If he can hang around with a contract for that long, he will never have to work again if he's sensible.

Yes, if Scott Carson, Joe Hart, Sergio Romero, Adrian, Kepa and Olsen can all warm the bench for a comfortable life I'm sure Maty is more than qualified. Why would he sacrifice 8 years of big wages for pittance at home?

There are a lot of big PL clubs who'd be foolish not to spend £7/8m on him in the summer - Liverpool, Chelsea (if Kepa goes), Everton (if Olsen isn't made permanent), Leicester and Arsenal would all be considerably stronger with him as competition.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Arsenal have a history of paying "top dollar" for "stars" to sit on the bench.

Mezut Ozil just left for Fenerbahce carrying a big full sack and wearing a mask/striped jumper a la Dennis The Menace.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes, if Scott Carson, Joe Hart, Sergio Romero, Adrian, Kepa and Olsen can all warm the bench for a comfortable life I'm sure Maty is more than qualified. Why would he sacrifice 8 years of big wages for pittance at home?

There are a lot of big PL clubs who'd be foolish not to spend £7/8m on him in the summer - Liverpool, Chelsea (if Kepa goes), Everton (if Olsen isn't made permanent), Leicester and Arsenal would all be considerably stronger with him as competition.

On a free as well, he’s out of contract in the Summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It depends on how much he wants to play football (as opposed to bench-warming) and how much he'd rather be back home in Ozzieland rather tan globetrotting. Yes, I'm sure he can earn loads over the next few years, but if he's on £30K a week at Brighton (which sounds like a reasonable guess) his Brighton contract alone is worth about £7.5M, plus no doubt a reasonable wedge from his previous contracts, he may decide he's got plenty to keep him in comfort for the rest of his life anyway.
A few houses bought to rent out should give him a decent inflation-proof income for life, for example..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here