Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match v Reading at home moved to Friday 24th Feb for TV

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm sure they can push hard for Saturday lunchtime, Saturday 5:30, or Sunday.

Exactly.

I appreciate that we are always going to take SKY 's money, but why are we always the bloody Friday night game?

Barber (and Perry) have recently got involved in the rail dispute, so why agree to another Friday night game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In theory Friday night football is great.

But with the joke rail service it means driving rather than drinking :nono:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is starting to save me a lot of money. Evening games I no longer go into the pubs before / after the game and I get to the ground on the bus with enough time to get to my seat and then leave straight after.
Sounds like fun[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the SKY staff should be forced ro travel to the game on SASTA Rail ? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has he not got a genuine argument with Sky to say 'We would love for you to be able to show the game but unfortunately we cannot do this at the moment due to transport issues', they would have to listen, no? If he has not even had that discussion then he has not really thought about the fans at all.

I presume he's done his estimates and all things considered trousering the Sky money is the most profitable option.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're largely selling out because of season ticket holders. Plenty of people are going to have to reconsider having one if the SASTA business goes on. You say it's not likely people will start to bale on games, but they already are in huge numbers.

This, this and thrice this. The underlying figures will be masked up until ST renewal time, when the figures will be telling. Currently the club enjoys huge numbers of ST holders. Money's in the bank whether STH turns up or not. In addition the club coffers get boosted by the Sky £100K. OK, theoretically catering revenues might be down on the day (evening), but queues are so slow and long that I'd suggest any revenue lost on that front would be minimal. If you live anywhere other than extremely local and are faced with a daft long journey after games, and a gamble in even getting there for kick-off time, there must come a time when it becomes a better deal to wait until the last moment beyond the clutches of Sky and SASTA and just pay full whack for the Saturday 3pm games.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I presume he's done his estimates and all things considered trousering the Sky money is the most profitable option.

Because the majority of our support is season ticket holders thus the cash is already banked whether those fans turn up or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure they can push hard for Saturday lunchtime, Saturday 5:30, or Sunday.

We can push all we want, but if Sky want to show Hull v Chelsea or Man U v Spurs in those slots, then thats what they'll show. We take the Sky money like every other club in the 92, which means we have ZERO leverage. Sky don't give a toss about transport issues for fans, they just want to maximise the armchairs. So the club could ASK not to have Friday nights, but they'll just give us the finger. Not Skys problem is it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That and the recently mooted option of providing a live feed for overseas fans. All things considered, us yokels who actually turn up to games should IMHO be given a massive discount, if not a free ticket, for providing a colourful backdrop to the global televised action.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This season has been dogged with train strikes and staff shortages etc bla bla bla....Just find it ridiculous that we are always getting the Friday night slot in which is a disaster for the fans who travel from outside Brighton and bad for the ones within.

I'm not complaining as I get to sit on my arse at home watching sky but find travelling to Brighton for evening games a right mare...2am last time grrrr.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We can push all we want, but if Sky want to show Hull v Chelsea or Man U v Spurs in those slots, then thats what they'll show. We take the Sky money like every other club in the 92, which means we have ZERO leverage. Sky don't give a toss about transport issues for fans, they just want to maximise the armchairs. So the club could ASK not to have Friday nights, but they'll just give us the finger. Not Skys problem is it.

I'm calling bullshite.
Barber has admitted he likes Friday games, you and I don't know. for a FACT ( unless you can provide written proof of course) that we can't negotiate another Sky slot, there are sometimes 5 different slots.
As I and many others have posted , it's always us on a Friday .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Like Barber, I love Friday night football.

When I can drink. Not when SASTA force me to drive :nono:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We can push all we want, but if Sky want to show Hull v Chelsea or Man U v Spurs in those slots, then thats what they'll show. We take the Sky money like every other club in the 92, which means we have ZERO leverage. Sky don't give a toss about transport issues for fans, they just want to maximise the armchairs. So the club could ASK not to have Friday nights, but they'll just give us the finger. Not Sky's problem is it.

Spot on, but the pedant in me has inserted an absent apostrophe. Couldn't resist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here