Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive loss announcement followed by season ticket rise

For those less intelligent I am not moaning about the season ticket price which I think is very reasonable.

I'm moaning at treating us like children.
Nobody is being treated like children.

It's to be expected that the accounts for the year ended last June would be published about now. And I'd expect season ticket prices to be published in time for the new annual direct debits to kick in, ie about now.

Which announcement would you want to delay?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Three issues have arisen over the course of the last week. The club's relative lack of expenditure in the transfer market, the above inflation rise in ST prices and the operating losses of just under £300,000 a week.

All three are linked, so surely it makes sense for the club to link them, which it has done.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
For those less intelligent I am not moaning about the season ticket price which I think is very reasonable.

What should they have done then, oh wise one?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
It's quite a cynical view to take of the clubs actions. As stated on the loss thread, 15 million is a lot to lose but is half the loss of similarly placed clubs.

A 2% rise is not a hike. We are probably spending 2% more on most things in life than we did last year, only we are not aware of the profit/loss of all the companies we pay money to.

It's all pleasantly transparent.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Taking out extraordinary costs, it would appear the cost of the club's infrastructure and staffing is pretty static. Then there is the playing budget of squad/management wages and in/out transfers. Add in some TV money, and the sum total is a loss of over 14 million quid. The whole thing underpinning the operation is the goodwill of the fans turning up each game and buying all the add-ons. Losing a couple of thousand ST holders could mean the loss of over a million quid. From the prevalence of 'Are people going to renew' threads, it seems there is some disquiet about how things are going at the club.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nothing to moan about here, move on.

Oh hang on there, is always moaning for moaning sake. Still remember the OP is the one who felt the top issue for the opening of the community stadium was how long it took him to get out of the car park ! Complete lacking in any sense of perspective, but there you go.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Taking out extraordinary costs, it would appear the cost of the club's infrastructure and staffing is pretty static. Then there is the playing budget of squad/management wages and in/out transfers. Add in some TV money, and the sum total is a loss of over 14 million quid. The whole thing underpinning the operation is the goodwill of the fans turning up each game and buying all the add-ons. Losing a couple of thousand ST holders could mean the loss of over a million quid. From the prevalence of 'Are people going to renew' threads, it seems there is some disquiet about how things are going at the club.

Underpinning the operation is Bloom

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Makes sense to me

Club raises prices, and completely justifies it by linking it to a massive loss that they've announced for the previous year. I think the way they've handled things this last week or so has been excellent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Gives you the chance to have another dig though

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not moaning at the season ticket hike, fair enough I think.

But the timing of the two announcements is pretty transparent isn't it. As spin goes that is pretty immature.

I don't suppose you might care to expand on those statements; let us know why it is you feel spoken down to...?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Dammned if they do and dammned if they don't :shrug:

What were they meant to do, announce the rise first so the get a load of stick from the fans? Or should they leave it a couple of weeks so they don't offend some of our sensitive fans :facepalm:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Nothing to moan about here, move on.

Oh hang on there, is always moaning for moaning sake. Still remember the OP is the one who felt the top issue for the opening of the community stadium was how long it took him to get out of the car park ! Complete lacking in any sense of perspective, but there you go.

crazy isnt it,some people on here,moan for moaning sake:wrong:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Not moaning at the season ticket hike, fair enough I think.

But the timing of the two announcements is pretty transparent isn't it. As spin goes that is pretty immature.

Good grief!

Just seen the thread, thought it was penned by Ernest (that's how poor it is)

Perhaps then you should have used your superior intelligence to choose a different word to hike (twice), which does make it sound like you're moaning.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not really, it's the time of the year when accounts are published and for ST renewals to be announced like the club said.
Would you rather they announced the ST prices in July?

Accounts have to be filed by the end of January (I think)
ST renewals were announced on 23rd February last season, 6th February this.

Seems reasonable, nothing to see here.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Subtle? Maybe Not
Immature? No
Football is a business. Decisions on announcements like season ticket 'hikes' will be made and announced at a time that the club feels is suitable to its customer base and not taken lightly.
Surely it would be more convenient if they'd announced after a 4-0 win on Saturday (for example!)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here