Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Keown!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I lost patience with Martin Keown when he pushed in front of me in a queue in the Churchill Square branch of Barclays Bank in 1985.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Dermot Gallagher calling what was patently obvious to anyone other than Keown and myopic Villa fans yesterday

INCIDENT: Michael Oliver awards Aston Villa a dramatic penalty after Trezeguet appears to be tripped in the box by Brighton's Solly March. But, after consulting VAR and the pitchside monitor, Oliver judges that March had touched enough of the ball before catching Trezeguet and chalks off the penalty.

VERDICT: "I think this was definitely not a penalty. The angle the ball goes tells me that March has got a big touch on the ball. Then they've come together. March has clearly played that ball first - there's no doubt in my mind."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...lagher-bruno-fernandes-incident-not-a-penalty
I think the still image on that article is fairly conclusive proof that Solly did make SOME contact with Trezeguet's shin (for those claiming he didn't). Still no-where near enough to cause him to tumble like he did, of course, nor enough to make it a penalty.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I lost patience with Martin Keown when he pushed in front of me in a queue in the Churchill Square branch of Barclays Bank in 1985.

Your mistake was not throwing yourself on the floor with a scream, if you'd done that he'd have been on your side

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Keown is a weak pundit and always has been.
He tries to sound intelligent and can speak convincingly. But when you break it down he very very rarely has anything insightful to say.
He approaches punditry like he did defending - by intimidation, and breaking up the conversation.
Watch how he buts in with some irrelevant or obvious nonsense, when he’s in a group of pundits.
Fair play to him though, he gets work over far superior minds.

Spot on. He pauses and approaches talking like the equivalent of a wise old man pushing glasses up his nose before coming out with something intelligent and insightful. Unfortunately Keown then proceeds to spout complete verbal diarrhea.

He's one of the worst of a very bad bunch.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Stealing a living. He asked whether Webster practices long passes in training ! Also made some reference to ‘an unprecedented number of games’ for the players to play. Last time I looked there was the PL, the league cup and the FA Cup. Same as ever.
Yeah we spotted that one. Plus the nonsense about having players who "want to get the points". He just chatted shit the entire game and then got important incidents completely wrong.

Can't believe he gets paid for that standard of nonsense.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
just turn the sound down and then you don't have to put up with the irritating comments

There is a lot of sense in this. Punditry works two ways. Accept or ignore. There wasn't even any spilt milk to cry over in this instance, surprised so many getting animated as such.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

The longevity and cause of such grudges is what makes football the sport it is! :clap2:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think the still image on that article is fairly conclusive proof that Solly did make SOME contact with Trezeguet's shin (for those claiming he didn't). Still no-where near enough to cause him to tumble like he did, of course, nor enough to make it a penalty.
Look at it from the angle that shows it properly (someone posted the slow mo of it on here somewhere) and there's clear daylight between them.

The only thing that hit Trezeguet's shin was the ball, and he was already mid swan dive when it did.

It was a terrible dive and he should have been booked. Especially with the bonus rolling around on the floor for two minutes, holding his ankle (which wasn't even touched by the ball). What a dick.

Agree with the comments re Shearer, he was having none of it and called it correctly on the incident and that we played really well and deserved to win.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Not when you see the slow mo from behind that clearly shows Solly pulling his leg away with no contact.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Just got the feeling that we were lucky enough to be the team that Oliver chose to make amends for the shocking 'non goal' decision he made last season, which would have sent the mighty Villa down !

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Not when you see the slow mo from behind that clearly shows Solly pulling his leg away with no contact.
I agree that that angle makes it look like there was no contact. But I'm struggling to look at that still image and envisage March pulling his leg away with (at the moment that was taken) an absolutely maximum of a millimetre between them, as that appears to bear out. It would almost defy physics!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here