Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Keown!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
One of the worst pundits out there. The way he slows his speech down to sound intelligent and insightful.

Absolute cheesy purple headed warrior.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Let’s hope that the lads on MOTD clear all this mess up for Keown and the other delusional Villa fans.

Elbow on Veltman: Sending off.
Lamptey Red Card: Not a second yellow.
Penalty Overturn: Right decision.

Reckon theyll "stand by their man" :sick:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why is Martin Keown biased towards Villa / against Brighton ? He’s just clueless

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Some absolutely bizarre comments at the end there. March clearly gets a touch on the ball as he's trying to block/deflect it, so any contact with the player after is irrelevant. After seeing the VAR replay you'd think every person watching would be in agreement its not a penalty. I get that Villa fans will be annoyed it was overturned simply because they want whats best for their club, but by the rules you cant really argue it. Keown's comments saying it was 100% penalty are baffling, obviously just cant bare to be proved wrong. Fortunately the ref was able to be a bit more humble and overturn his initial decision.

Felt bad for Lamptey, sent off for 2 nothing challenges with Villa players rolling around like they'd been shot. But in todays game im not surprised, a slightly late challenge on a player seems to be a yellow card everytime these days. Ref's seem to forget that you can just give a freekick. & if you give those 2 as yellows then there should have been 20 others during the game. Especially confusing when you see the elbow on Veltman brushed off by the ref/VAR as nothing.

Strangest thing of all was the 'ref watch' comments after the game. Dermot Gallagher I think it was, saying that he thought it was a penalty but that it wasnt a clear and obvious error by the ref so VAR shouldnt have got involved. How the **** does that work?! I'd say a ref giving a penalty that wasnt is a pretty clear error... ???

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why is Martin Keown biased towards Villa / against Brighton ? He’s just clueless

I don’t know why he was as he played for both teams, and has always spoken fondly of his time at Brighton, but he was clearly biased towards Villa all game and the penalty incident was just embarassing.

He is an absolutely useless pundit though. Makes McManaman seem like Gary Neville.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Some absolutely bizarre comments at the end there. March clearly gets a touch on the ball as he's trying to block/deflect it, so any contact with the player after is irrelevant.

Not strictly true any more. Getting a touch on the ball isn't a defence if your foot goes on to make contact with the player, which is why there was so much debate about Lamptey's goal at Tottenham.

If March's contact with Trezeguet yesterday had been as violent as his reaction suggested, then a penalty would have been the correct decision. Of course, he only slightly grazed Trezeguet's lower shinpad, so really the ref should have booked the Villa man for simulation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am so ****ing angry about those two shit decisions at the end. Am I being biased or was that really a justified second yellow for Lamptey?

How biased was the commentator? No way was that even close to being a penalty. March won the ball...end of

Yeah, we won but I am still so angry

[tweet]1226118050149171200[/tweet]

Just confirmation of his cvckwombleness :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has just called Everton's second as offside a second or two after the VAR monitor clearly showed it had made an "onside" decision :facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not strictly true any more. Getting a touch on the ball isn't a defence if your foot goes on to make contact with the player, which is why there was so much debate about Lamptey's goal at Tottenham.

If March's contact with Trezeguet yesterday had been as violent as his reaction suggested, then a penalty would have been the correct decision. Of course, he only slightly grazed Trezeguet's lower shinpad, so really the ref should have booked the Villa man for simulation.

I don't think that is strictly true either. The interpretation was changed to prevent people sliding in recklessly but getting the ball first before clattering into the opponent dangerously. There are plenty of tackles where the ball is won fairly but there is subsequent contact. They're not all fouls.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Keown is a weak pundit and always has been.
He tries to sound intelligent and can speak convincingly. But when you break it down he very very rarely has anything insightful to say.
He approaches punditry like he did defending - by intimidation, and breaking up the conversation.
Watch how he buts in with some irrelevant or obvious nonsense, when he’s in a group of pundits.
Fair play to him though, he gets work over far superior minds.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My wife actually called the fact he dived and it was not a Pen before me......she makes more noise than me..the words diving cheat rang from her lips.

Ditto. While I was quiet and resigned to it, my wife was shouting at the TV.

Jimmy Grimble

Keown is a weak pundit and always has been.
He tries to sound intelligent and can speak convincingly. But when you break it down he very very rarely has anything insightful to say.
He approaches punditry like he did defending - by intimidation, and breaking up the conversation.
Watch how he buts in with some irrelevant or obvious nonsense, when he’s in a group of pundits.
Fair play to him though, he gets work over far superior minds.

Nailed it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It would be interesting to know just how many penalties get given in the final minutes of matches where teams are desperate for a goal. It seems that the practice of changing tactics to lump balls into the box and getting players to dive at any opportunity is rife in the game.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Dermot Gallagher calling what was patently obvious to anyone other than Keown and myopic Villa fans yesterday

INCIDENT: Michael Oliver awards Aston Villa a dramatic penalty after Trezeguet appears to be tripped in the box by Brighton's Solly March. But, after consulting VAR and the pitchside monitor, Oliver judges that March had touched enough of the ball before catching Trezeguet and chalks off the penalty.

VERDICT: "I think this was definitely not a penalty. The angle the ball goes tells me that March has got a big touch on the ball. Then they've come together. March has clearly played that ball first - there's no doubt in my mind."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...lagher-bruno-fernandes-incident-not-a-penalty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here