Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope I will be travelling for the leg away, but it depends on too many uncertain factors for me to know it yet for sure. I visited Brighton in 96 and have good memories of it (except for the pesky aunt-in-law I was staying at ... but another story ^^).
I'm sorry but I just really need to know more about the pesky aunt-in-law.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 11.59.53.png

The pre-reg window has just slammed shut.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This game could be Europa League-season defining.

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
@Nobby Cybergoat : yes pretty much. If you see things get creepy just move to a different area. You know this is France, Police is not fast to react...

About Montpellier airport : its connection to the city is ok. You have to know that Montpellier has now two stations :
- Montpellier St Roch in the city center where all trains going to Marseille will stop
- Montpellier Sud de France, in the oustkirts, badly connected to the city proper and no trains for Marseille.
So be sure to go to Saint-Roch. The catch is that busses from airport go to Sud de France not to St Roch. You think to catch a tram connection somewhere (Odysseum if I remember right)

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Bonjour @VojFromMars :)
Thanks for providing lots of useful information, it is always best to hear from someone who knows Marseille confidently.
It was surprising that OM were knocked out by Panathinaikos during the Champions League qualifiers, but you've started well in Ligue 1 with an unbeaten start, and some fans will recognise a few of the players from their time in England like Aubameyang and Sarr.
So my question is what should Brighton fans expect from their time in Marseille, like the people, atmosphere and stadium facilities? And what result will you be hoping for, presumably as you're an OM fan and might have seen a few Brighton matches recently?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
@VojFromMars we are flying into / staying in Montpellier. We will have a car, would it be sensible to drive to the match? what car parking is available near the ground? or would we be better off using a train?

Any advice would be much appreciated.... Merci beaucoup!

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
@Krafty We feel like the team is not playing as a team for the moment. With a new trainer, a new tactial scheme (442 while we used to play 4312) and a lot of new players it might take time. On the other hand a lot of our fans find the play of De Zerbi very interesting and there were some rumours this summer of him coming to be the trainer of OM.

The results we have are a bit of mirage for the moment. Loosing without a fight in Greece was a pain. We clearly are furious against the ref in the Marseille's game, this has been an obvious steal. I don't know this ref (he's English) but he's not welcome to vacations in Marseille :D. The last matches against Brest and Nantes are worrying us. While the match against Brest could be eventually explained by a very harsh heat wave we've experienced that week, Nantes is really a whole different story. We scored on 4th minute and they get red carded on 9th minute... they managed to score one and while we were dominating in the 2nd hald we've really never been dangerous. A lot will be on stake after the international break (we play Ajax, Paris, you and Monaco). Still there are some good players in there and we can hope.

The athmosphere in Marseille is a bit peculiar. Don't expect it to be like the south of France, but much more like major mediterranean cities. It's much more culturally mixed, a bit harsher socially (you'll see a lot of poverty in the center), but also much more vibrant and laid back. Streets are packed and it's certainly not a sleepy town. There's a lot to see in and around (there's a National Park inside the city limits, easily accessed by local busses)
People are really fond of talking and lightly joking. Not speaking French might make it tougher to meet people ... but your French would have to be very good to get you anywhere anyway since the local talk tends to be a bit different of standard French.

The stadium is pretty impressive. Both virages are very loud and the stadium, while having a whooping 67k capacity is full on every single fixture since fall 2022. The away part is close to the virage Nord, on Jean Bouin's side. From time to time there are some problems with some idiots there, throwing away bootles or worse at you. You should be under supervision of security all the time anyway.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
@Krafty We feel like the team is not playing as a team for the moment. With a new trainer, a new tactial scheme (442 while we used to play 4312) and a lot of new players it might take time. On the other hand a lot of our fans find the play of De Zerbi very interesting and there were some rumours this summer of him coming to be the trainer of OM.

The results we have are a bit of mirage for the moment. Loosing without a fight in Greece was a pain. We clearly are furious against the ref in the Marseille's game, this has been an obvious steal. I don't know this ref (he's English) but he's not welcome to vacations in Marseille :D. The last matches against Brest and Nantes are worrying us. While the match against Brest could be eventually explained by a very harsh heat wave we've experienced that week, Nantes is really a whole different story. We scored on 4th minute and they get red carded on 9th minute... they managed to score one and while we were dominating in the 2nd hald we've really never been dangerous. A lot will be on stake after the international break (we play Ajax, Paris, you and Monaco). Still there are some good players in there and we can hope.

The athmosphere in Marseille is a bit peculiar. Don't expect it to be like the south of France, but much more like major mediterranean cities. It's much more culturally mixed, a bit harsher socially (you'll see a lot of poverty in the center), but also much more vibrant and laid back. Streets are packed and it's certainly not a sleepy town. There's a lot to see in and around (there's a National Park inside the city limits, easily accessed by local busses)
People are really fond of talking and lightly joking. Not speaking French might make it tougher to meet people ... but your French would have to be very good to get you anywhere anyway since the local talk tends to be a bit different of standard French.

The stadium is pretty impressive. Both virages are very loud and the stadium, while having a whooping 67k capacity is full on every single fixture since fall 2022. The away part is close to the virage Nord, on Jean Bouin's side. From time to time there are some problems with some idiots there, throwing away bootles or worse at you. You should be under supervision of security all the time anyway.
Interesting post.

But despite Marseille being a bigger club than Brighton Roberto would never leave us to go to you (no disrespect!)

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
@Titanic : you probably shouldn't drive to the stadium. We don't, the traffic jams can be a nightmare.
The stadium is very easily accessed by metro. On matches days there are more metros just let the crowd get in and out. Parking your car at your hotel or near a less crowded metro station the walking or taking the metro would be a much better idea.
Tip : I used to live in the Perrier area. It's pretty hilly if you go upper than Paradis street with easy parking spots. It's also a very calm area of Marseille and your car shouldn't be at risk. And it's a brisky 15-20 minutes walk to the stadium.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
@VojFromMars we are flying into / staying in Montpellier. We will have a car, would it be sensible to drive to the match? what car parking is available near the ground? or would we be better off using a train?

Any advice would be much appreciated.... Merci beaucoup!
When I am there with a car for the rugby, I am parking here:

Seems a good deal for €11. I don’t know if it will be easy to get there from the away end at the football, I am assuming for the rugby there won’t be the same restrictions that might apply in the football. When I have been before, eg in Euro 2016, I have parked at a metro station in the suburbs and got the metro straight in, it was really easy.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
@Titanic : you probably shouldn't drive to the stadium. We don't, the traffic jams can be a nightmare.
The stadium is very easily accessed by metro. On matches days there are more metros just let the crowd get in and out. Parking your car at your hotel or near a less crowded metro station the walking or taking the metro would be a much better idea.
Tip : I used to live in the Perrier area. It's pretty hilly if you go upper than Paradis street with easy parking spots. It's also a very calm area of Marseille and your car shouldn't be at risk. And it's a brisky 15-20 minutes walk to the stadium.

That sounds like great advice... it's a hire car, so not too worried about it, and a walk through quieter areas of Marseille could be a great option - it might depend on where and when we have to collect tickets??

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
@VojFromMars Thank you very much for all the great information that you have provided in this thread. It is much appreciated.

A quick question for you: Do OM produce a matchday programme?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
As happens in Munich, Cologne, Freiburg, and no doubt many other European cities. Why we have such a problem laying on extra trains and buses on matchday in Brighton is beyond me. Well OK, I appreciate there are logistical issues but surely none that can't be hammered out in a few friendly meetings with all stakeholders. The alternative reality we have to put up with -- nightmarish scenes trying to get away from the stadium -- surely justifies some radical rethinking. I wonder how all those Ajax, AEK and Marseille fans will tolerate queuing up for an hour or more at the station at 10-11pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here