[Albion] Marseille

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
Hi there.

As my nickname suggests it, I'm a Marseillais and OM fan.

To be totally honest, drawing you guys was NOT a good news. And we are perfectly aware we are clear underdogs there.

I'm living since some 20+ years in Marseille and would be more than happy to help anyone of you organizing his trip, giving you recommandations about what to see and where to eat/drink etc..

In a nutshell :
- Marseille is certainly not the dump or the violent place some (most) people think it is. We people love our city and for a reason. Now of course, there are some don'ts, especially during Europe games.
- It is much more dynamical since the covid crisis with some obviously good things (much safer ; much livilier ; much more choice) and some bad ones (prices are skyrocketting (but it is still the cheapest major city of France) and we have too much tourists.
- I simply wouldn't advise you to take a hotel near the stadium. While the area is totally ok, it was formerly the business district of Marseille and you won't have good value for your money
- Flying to Nice has to be really cheaper for it to be worth the pain. You can either take a ~3hour ride on Flixbus straight from the airport ; or will have the extra hustle of going to Nice city proper then taking a train, which on this track is *not* high speed (2h30 ; often for 40€ one-way). If you are travelling in a group, renting a car would be probably cheaper. I personnaly avoid flying to Nice whenever possible. Lyon would come as a possible alternative (further away but this time the train is really high speed).
- I sure hope this will be a great match !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hi there.

As my nickname suggests it, I'm a Marseillais and OM fan.

Hi, welcome. Will you be travelling here for your away leg?

In a nutshell :
- Marseille is certainly not the dump or the violent place some (most) people think it is. We people love our city and for a reason. Now of course, there are some don'ts, especially during Europe games.

What are the don't for us to have a nice trip over, without encountering violence? I'm hoping 'win' isn't one of the don'ts.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
For anyone fancying the train, we used this from Lille Flandre (10 mins walk from Lille Europe). Its a cheap TGV. It also stopped at Paris Charles de Gaulle. Fast, air conditioned trains with no buffet car (get a picnic in Lilles - there's an M&S Food in the station). Took 4 hours to Avignon and Marseille was the next stop.

Lille is a great place to overnight as well.

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
I hope I will be travelling for the leg away, but it depends on too many uncertain factors for me to know it yet for sure. I visited Brighton in 96 and have good memories of it (except for the pesky aunt-in-law I was staying at ... but another story ^^).

Petty crime can be a problem in Marseille but I wouldn't say it's worse than in Paris (or Nice or London or whatever major city). Be sure not too shot large amounts of cash (nowadays credit cards are accepted in almost any place in town, we have been very backward to it but it's improving), to have a purse easily stealable (eg in the back pocket), to leave any valuables (phone etc..) on a table in any circumstances. We might do it in some places but it's usually in areas we know very well.

Some areas can be very sketchy even in the very centre (le Panier at night though the tourism is changing it ; Noailles in some parts ; Reformés at night ; Belsunce ; anything near the St-Charles station at night etc..). In doubt at late night, take an Uber ride, chances are you will be in the center and fares will be pretty small compared to brittish standards.

There are two main night districts in the center, where away fans often tend to group, for previous night drinking and afternoon pre-match drinking. The Old Port (= Vieux Port) is certainly the more touristic one, with pubs being acuustomed to catter foreign visitors. But, it's really more and more touristic and when major problems have had happen in the past (especially with English hools) it was exxactly the place to avoid at any cost.
The Cours Julien - la Plaine area is the other main area for night life. While it was a bit more empoverished in the past, it is getting a bit trendy nowadays. And certainly offers a more local experience. Now, and that's the catch, it's also the home of several fan groups (South Winners and Dodgers) who are not "les plus éclairés de la crèche" (tough to translate and I woulnd't say that to them). And is also the main area of antifa's. Since the area is less touristy it is also has less police. Hence the presence of some very well coordinated groups willing to fight if necessary. Now, that shouldn't deter you from visiting the place, joining the crowd and having the fun. But any "willing to fight" attitude there will get the fight. I would say that as long as you keep a respectful profile, avoid some ultra fan bars (le bar de la plaine is a stronghold) and avoid at any cost the slightest hint of racism speech you will be fine and have a great day in the sun. Large crowds tend to hinch us so it might not be too wise to have a 200 hundred people gathering in the center. A group of 10 fans will largely be unnoticed unless causing problems. A group of 10 Brittish people not wearing Brighton shirts will be completely invisible.

All in all we have no history with you guys and that means that unless you do something stupid you will largely be ignored. Fans of teams we have a longtime friendship with, like AEK are guaranteed to have great times in Marseille. Clubs we have had problems with on the other hand are closely monitored (not to mention Paris ; Lyon or Nice fans).

Very large gatherings of visting fans are much better off near the stadium, usually on Prado/Rabatau corner. That's where AEK fans will go if they want to have a big gathering . And they'll have no problems.

EDIT for an afterthough : you guys winning would certainly not be a situation were fans would be violent. Maybe it still would be wise just to find a relaxed place, withough too much fans and avoid teasing us. But that's it really.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I hope I will be travelling for the leg away, but it depends on too many uncertain factors for me to know it yet for sure. I visited Brighton in 96 and have good memories of it (except for the pesky aunt-in-law I was staying at ... but another story ^^).

Petty crime can be a problem in Marseille but I wouldn't say it's worse than in Paris (or Nice or London or whatever major city). Be sure not too shot large amounts of cash (nowadays credit cards are accepted in almost any place in town, we have been very backward to it but it's improving), to have a purse easily stealable (eg in the back pocket), to leave any valuables (phone etc..) on a table in any circumstances. We might do it in some places but it's usually in areas we know very well.

Some areas can be very sketchy even in the very centre (le Panier at night though the tourism is changing it ; Noailles in some parts ; Reformés at night ; Belsunce ; anything near the St-Charles station at night etc..). In doubt at late night, take an Uber ride, chances are you will be in the center and fares will be pretty small compared to brittish standards.

There are two main night districts in the center, where away fans often tend to group, for previous night drinking and afternoon pre-match drinking. The Old Port (= Vieux Port) is certainly the more touristic one, with pubs being acuustomed to catter foreign visitors. But, it's really more and more touristic and when major problems have had happen in the past (especially with English hools) it was exxactly the place to avoid at any cost.
The Cours Julien - la Plaine area is the other main area for night life. While it was a bit more empoverished in the past, it is getting a bit trendy nowadays. And certainly offers a more local experience. Now, and that's the catch, it's also the home of several fan groups (South Winners and Dodgers) who are not "les plus éclairés de la crèche" (tough to translate and I woulnd't say that to them). And is also the main area of antifa's. Since the area is less touristy it is also has less police. Hence the presence of some very well coordinated groups willing to fight if necessary. Now, that shouldn't deter you from visiting the place, joining the crowd and having the fun. But any "willing to fight" attitude there will get the fight. I would say that as long as you keep a respectful profile, avoid some ultra fan bars (le bar de la plaine is a stronghold) and avoid at any cost the slightest hint of racism speech you will be fine and have a great day in the sun. Large crowds tend to hinch us so it might not be too wise to have a 200 hundred people gathering in the center. A group of 10 fans will largely be unnoticed unless causing problems. A group of 10 Brittish people not wearing Brighton shirts will be completely invisible.

All in all we have no history with you guys and that means that unless you do something stupid you will largely be ignored. Fans of teams we have a longtime friendship with, like AEK are guaranteed to have great times in Marseille. Clubs we have had problems with on the other hand are closely monitored (not to mention Paris ; Lyon or Nice fans).

Very large gatherings of visting fans are much better off near the stadium, usually on Prado/Rabatau corner. That's where AEK fans will go if they want to have a big gathering . And they'll have no problems.
Much appreciated Voj!

Could I ask, noting that Spurs gathered at Place de la Joliette last season where there was food/booze/DJ and then got bussed to stadium and back, is that true of all European matches, so very likely for us this time, or specifically as I think there had been trouble in the previous Eintracht Frankfurt game in Marseille last season?

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2022/october/information-for-fans-travelling-to-marseille/#:~:text=Supporters can expect a hostile,during their stay in France.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

EDIT for an afterthough : you guys winning would certainly not be a situation were fans would be violent. Maybe it still would be wise just to find a relaxed place, withough too much fans and avoid teasing us. But that's it really.
Thank you for this information, it’s very helpful.
I think you’ll find the vast majority of Brighton fans well behaved and so hopefully there won’t be any trouble.
I’m hoping I can get a ticket.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I could only see the 11.32 from St Augustein and 12.02 from Ville but not the 11.08 so wondered where to find that
Apologies you are right. It is 11.32 not 11.08. However I would say that's a safer bet anyway as it's a 15-20 Min walk to station and you need to get through security.

I'm on that plane as well and will aim for the 11.32. But I've also booked the 12.25 bus just in case there are issues.

Edit I just checked and plane lands at terminal 2 and it's 25 min walk from there.

Last edited:

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Had hoped we might get some information from Air Charter on possible day charter flights to Marseille today.
The cynic in me is thinking we won't hear any information until the pre-registration has closed and the numbers are given to Air Charter to allow them to source an appropriate sized aircraft (s) to cover the demand...whilst also giving them time to pitch a high price to fans as all other flights routes are sold out or excessively high.

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
Well ... it's very much about politics. Frankfort fans ... we knew that it could be bad. There is a - hopefully small but still real - part of their fans in ... errr ... hum ... cough ... very "alt-right" movidas. I have witnessed in La Plaine area the day before the match some of their fans willing to fight. Like walking in small groups, with baseball bats, and stuff like that. Of course didn't turn out well.

Now for the Spurs leg it was a bit special. The north "virage" was suspended. Meaning 15k of ours fans couldn't be in the stadium. And so they were in town. It was the last leg of the groups with pretty much anything possible. Hence, and on top of that, Spurs fans were being banned by Prefet (the head of the police of the Marseille metro area ; some 3M people) to be in the center of Marseille. I don't clearly remember the why's but there certainly were some why's... Nontheless 2000 Spurs fans gathered in Marseille. We tend to be pretty mediterranean down here. So if something happens we go with the flow. Keeping the "La Joliette" area safe is pretty easy (it's the new business district). If fans are there, some people will sell beer and food for sure :). And yes a DJ would eventually come. By the way this match was a "high risk" match for UEFA board (if my memory serves me right 4 on a scale out of 5). As things stand now and with you guys, your game might eventually be classified as 3 but my money's on a 2 (because "England you know... you never know") or 1 (because "why the f*** really ?")

On the other hand, the Spurs team didn't have a proper night, with our local fans shooting fireworks at 1am ; 3am and 5am in front of their hotel. But no one got hurted, it wasn't the point :)

Now I wouldn't say we don't have some stupid and violent fans.... sadly. If some of you understand French, or could make some sense of the non-sensical google translate of a Marseillais forum, the thread on the small but informative forum I'm on is there : http://www.massalialive.com/forum/discussions-football/topic33043.html
The pre-match events are on pages 3-6. You won't feel any hate, but it's also the smallest and the more civilized forum of OM fans.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Apologies you are right. It is 11.32 not 11.08. However I would say that's a safer bet anyway as it's a 15-20 Min walk to station and you need to get through security.

I'm on that plane as well and will aim for the 11.32. But I've also booked the 12.25 bus just in case there are issues.

Edit I just checked and plane lands at terminal 2 and it's 25 min walk from there.

I went for the 12.25 bus in the end. Thought it takes about the same time as train, is a lot cheaper and goes direct from the airport

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Thank You for this, it’s certainly put some my mind at rest. I’ve heard that the Cours Julien is a really nice place to drink and eat, would you say avoid this area as an away fan? I’m staying there until the Saturday, so is there any tourist attractions you’d recommend, or areas with a lot of historical significance? I’m really interested in anti fascist history sounds like there’s a lot of it.

I think every city has a bad area, and it will be nice to visit your city. I don’t like when a city is spoken down like a lot of people have done with Marseille, the football culture you have over there is amazing, and incredibly interesting, it’s not like anything we have in England. I think you‘ll find 99% of Brighton fans are very relaxed people who just want to watch their team in Europe, want to explore while following their team and certainly like a beer or two or three, but there’s very little violence or wish for violence.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Booked for all three, for Marseille flying to Montpellier and train onwards. Thursday night in Marseille and Friday inMontpellier, returning to Blighty on Saturday.
Didn't fancy staying in Marseille too long.
Our group pretty similar travel plans. Remember to book your train tickets in advance.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Our group pretty similar travel plans. Remember to book your train tickets in advance.
Do you need to book train tickets in advance in France? I was in nice and Cannes this summer and used it once, didn't have any trouble on the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, someone reckons over 5000 have registered for Marseille. I wonder if Barber will try to strike a deal with OM to get more than 5%? In a ground which holds 67000 this must be a real likelihood?

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
@Jack albion : as a solo traveller or as a small group, without wearing colours you'll be unnoticeable and as safe as anybody. Wearing colours is more of a gamble. Marseille sadly has a lot of bad areas (the north part of the city is usually empoverished ; though there are some nice and interesting places 3rd ; 13th ; 14th ; 15th and 16th districts are not recommandable for strangers). I'll give a more detailled list of things to possibly see/do when I'll have more time.

@dwayne : you can buy train tickets any time but trains could be full on friday afternoons / evenings. And if you are sure of your exact train travelling times, ttickets will be cheaper if bought earlier. SNCF Connect or Trainline are the two official sites/apps. I use Trainline, without a strong reason for it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
@Jack albion : as a solo traveller or as a small group, without wearing colours you'll be unnoticeable and as safe as anybody. Wearing colours is more of a gamble. Marseille sadly has a lot of bad areas (the north part of the city is usually empoverished ; though there are some nice and interesting places 3rd ; 13th ; 14th ; 15th and 16th districts are not recommandable for strangers). I'll give a more detailled list of things to possibly see/do when I'll have more time.

@dwayne : you can buy train tickets any time but trains could be full on friday afternoons / evenings. And if you are sure of your exact train travelling times, ttickets will be cheaper if bought earlier. SNCF Connect or Trainline are the two official sites/apps. I use Trainline, without a strong reason for it.
Thanks voj. The train I'm looking at is 11.38am on a Thursday so very confident it won't be fully booked ! I'm reluctant to book in advance as I'm reliant on plane being on time and no hold ups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports