Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So, someone reckons over 5000 have registered for Marseille. I wonder if Barber will try to strike a deal with OM to get more than 5%? In a ground which holds 67000 this must be a real likelihood?
No-one "reckons" this, it was information received from what should be a pretty reliable source, however, whether true or not time will tell

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No-one "reckons" this, it was information received from what should be a pretty reliable source, however, whether true or not time will tell
This isnt really the thrust of my post.....my point is will Barber try and negotiate extra tickets? He said this is a possibility and this particluar game seems to be tick the boxes i.e. demand, huge ground. This is all.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This isnt really the thrust of my post.....my point is will Barber try and negotiate extra tickets? He said this is a possibility and this particluar game seems to be tick the boxes i.e. demand, huge ground. This is all.
Well past experience tells us the club hate even taking the full allocation in case we don't sell all the tickets and have to pay money back so I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect a least a 3rd of the people who have registered interest won't go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not if Marseille want reciprocation, as they surely will.

In the Europa League fans' forum, he covered the point about not wanting to give visiting teams an advantage by giving them larger allocations at the Amex for what may be a crucial fixture, and Marseille at the Amex is the last group game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In the Europa League fans' forum, he covered the point about not wanting to give visiting teams an advantage by giving them larger allocations at the Amex for what may be a crucial fixture, and Marseille at the Amex is the last group game.
Good point. I had not considered it's the last group game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well past experience tells us the club hate even taking the full allocation in case we don't sell all the tickets and have to pay money back so I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect a least a 3rd of the people who have registered interest won't go.
I took what Barber said in good faith. If the circumstances are right, I'm sure he would ask for extra tickets.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hi there.

As my nickname suggests it, I'm a Marseillais and OM fan.

To be totally honest, drawing you guys was NOT a good news. And we are perfectly aware we are clear underdogs there.

I'm living since some 20+ years in Marseille and would be more than happy to help anyone of you organizing his trip, giving you recommandations about what to see and where to eat/drink etc..

In a nutshell :
- Marseille is certainly not the dump or the violent place some (most) people think it is. We people love our city and for a reason. Now of course, there are some don'ts, especially during Europe games.
- It is much more dynamical since the covid crisis with some obviously good things (much safer ; much livilier ; much more choice) and some bad ones (prices are skyrocketting (but it is still the cheapest major city of France) and we have too much tourists.
- I simply wouldn't advise you to take a hotel near the stadium. While the area is totally ok, it was formerly the business district of Marseille and you won't have good value for your money
- Flying to Nice has to be really cheaper for it to be worth the pain. You can either take a ~3hour ride on Flixbus straight from the airport ; or will have the extra hustle of going to Nice city proper then taking a train, which on this track is *not* high speed (2h30 ; often for 40€ one-way). If you are travelling in a group, renting a car would be probably cheaper. I personnaly avoid flying to Nice whenever possible. Lyon would come as a possible alternative (further away but this time the train is really high speed).
- I sure hope this will be a great match !
Good karma to come your way for taking he time to come on here and help us out.

I was looking at a route of flying into Montpellier and getting the train across to Marseille. Purely of course to counter the sharp rise in flight prices.

Anything else I need to think about there before I go and book?

Also, on the trouble thing, are you basically saying, "if I go along sit in the main tourist areas with a glass of beer, wearing a Brighton shirt, but not getting involved in any singing or lairy behaviour with a couple of equally unthreatening looking friends, i'm in no more danger than if I did that at any other away city in the UK or across Europe?" . And the police are unlikely to randomly tear gas me?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised by 5000 pre-registering. Wonder how many of those actually will be up for a ticket if push came to shove
I’m not. A significant number of my regular group, who don’t routinely go to many away games, plus some even more casual ST holders who don’t go to any, have all registered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good karma to come your way for taking he time to come on here and help us out.

I was looking at a route of flying into Montpellier and getting the train across to Marseille. Purely of course to counter the sharp rise in flight prices.

Anything else I need to think about there before I go and book?

Also, on the trouble thing, are you basically saying, "if I go along sit in the main tourist areas with a glass of beer, wearing a Brighton shirt, but not getting involved in any singing or lairy behaviour with a couple of equally unthreatening looking friends, i'm in no more danger than if I did that at any other away city in the UK or across Europe?" . And the police are unlikely to randomly tear gas me?
With my European ways, I will easily blend in with the locals.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Do you need to book train tickets in advance in France? I was in nice and Cannes this summer and used it once, didn't have any trouble on the day.
I’d say it’s mixed, if you are using a TGV service, yes, but local SNCF services you’ll be fine. I’m doing the train the whole way, and it’s mandatory on intercity services.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I suppose the difference is that Marseille will surely know that reciprocation is a non starter as we'd sell out the Amex twice over for our Euro ties.

The question Marseille have got is would they prefer seats stay empty or sell them to Brighton fans. I guess they would prefer empty as they would probably have to move people around, negotiate with police etc, but i'm not certain of it. French league clubs aren't lucky enough to be granted PL riches and so ticket sales are more of a financial consideration.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If I had to guess whether 5% (3350 tickets) would be enough to meet our demand for Marseille, I would say yes.

3350 people paying the money that is needed, plus sorting out the logistics of transport and accommodation, plus scare stories about Marseille leaves me thinking that everyone registered who wants a ticket will get one.

I hope that we pack the away end with 3350 and create a carnival, but my feeling is that a lot of people that were planning to go will delay and head to Amsterdam instead.

It won't be long before we find out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here