Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I love that some of us are having to explain to some of the others why a footballer would want to play at the highest level possible.

We finished 9th in the Premier League - that's pretty 'high level', and the highest level is to be selected to play for your country - again, something achievable at Brighton, as evidenced by several players doing precisely that.
Not impressed by the condescending tone of your comment, but hey ho...whatever floats your boat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, its probably not just you.

But it really isn't all about the money. To become a player at this level you need to have exceptional drive, desire to win and becoming the best in the world. They want to win titles, get their names in the history books, become recognised as the best players in the world, and that's just not going to happen in Brighton. If TB offered him as much money as City/Chelsea would, I'm pretty sure he'd still want the move.

I totally agree with you in Cucu’s case.

But there are many examples of players moving just for the money. Players who’ve joined Everton, CP or Villa for big rises in recent years, for example, haven’t got a cat in hell’s chance of winning silverware or CL football.

For right or wrong, they’ve chased ££££.

I don’t blame them one bit, if certain clubs act financially profligate.

Sorloth, Max Meyer, Ashley Williams, Sigurdsson, Moise Kean, Klaassen, Tosun found riches to set them up for life and some.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I love that some of us are having to explain to some of the others why a footballer would want to play at the highest level possible.

Yeah it’s about success and money and money and money and money.

In this case, for example, he had his heart set on playing for Pep and the success that would come with it, oh - and the money.

Nowhere else would do, so much so a transfer request was submitted... no dice, no deal.

Suddenly his heart is set on Chelsea and the slightly less successful horizon, oh but the money is good - perhaps even better.

I’d say he’s the dictionary definition of a mercenary.

But he’ll be rich and successful, who’d begrudge him that ? Oh and he’ll get to live in London - I mean, who wouldn’t ... ?

Blimey - his feet barely touched our stone as he skipped over on his way to a massive pile of money.

Remember, it’s not just about money, it’s about SHIT loads of money.

And... I don’t have to like it.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Football is cynical. We offload players if they don't make the grade. It's cut throat. How many youngsters get cut from the academy every year in every age group? It's brutal, absolutely brutal. When they get to the stage Cucurella's at, you take your opportunities to challenge for titles, silverware and I suspect a world cup squad with both hands.

I also don't see why the move makes him unhappy to have been here, on the contrary he's seemed really happy, but he's had a couple of great offers to play at the top end of the game.

Football is pretty hollow to be honest, to put that on Cucurella though I think is massively harsh.

Spot on most people would do it, he’s been really class for us all be it only for one season. I won’t boo him , class player, just hope he does well at Chelsea, but scores a couple of own goals when he plays us. Just wish we’d get a few in Bis replacement, left sided Burn replacement left back for cu cu and another forward should Maupay go, need to act a bit quicker me thinks. 🤔

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Personally, even if single, I would stay where I was (if happy to be there), as earning more bucks becomes meaningless at those levels.
This pursuit of riches is part of the many things that are just so wrong, imho. As a youth, I'd have been thrilled to have earned the average national wage, simply for doing something I enjoyed - playing football, rather than a normal job. The concept of being unhappy with £50K/similar per week is astonishing, not matter that your career might span just a decade.

Different people, different drivers.

I had the opportunity to double my salary a few times, but it would have meant moving abroad with young children. I was well paid, I enjoyed my job, my kids loved their home, school and friends and my wife loved where we lived and our social life, which in turn meant I had a great life so why would I want to risk that ?

But if you're the very best you don't think like that.

You are right, in that if you are very well paid and have a comfortable life, that money becomes less of an issue. However, if you've already picked up your whole family and moved them to a different country, culture etc, what difference does another move make ? (And I know lots of people whose whole family followed them around the world, regardless of the impact on them, purely for money). I wanted to earn a lot, but money wasn't the be all for me, I simply wanted to earn enough to ensure my family were secure. A lot of people I knew kept moving the whole family because their driver was the power that goes with serious money.

However, I don't believe it is money that drives MC, I think it's the opportunity to play at the very top level and prove himself with the VERY best. There is some serious money that goes with that, but I believe it's that being the best that drives him. I would have loved to have been like that, had it not been for my two left feet, lack of stamina, trouble with weight, booze etc etc :wink:

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah it’s about success and money and money and money and money....

I can't begrudge any player wanting to compete in the Champions League. Players these days have grown up watching it and dreaming about it.

And for Cucurella, there's the possibility of a World Cup place too.

Good luck to him, I say.

Thanks for the memories, Marc. And the quick profit you made. Oh, and do recommend us to your mates. :thumbsup:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

We finished 9th in the Premier League - that's pretty 'high level', and the highest level is to be selected to play for your country - again, something achievable at Brighton, as evidenced by several players doing precisely that.
Not impressed by the condescending tone of your comment, but hey ho...whatever floats your boat.

So if someone offered 3x your wages in your current job in a different company you will say no after 11 months employment. Okay…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I totally agree with you in Cucu’s case.

But there are many examples of players moving just for the money. Players who’ve joined Everton, CP or Villa for big rises in recent years, for example, haven’t got a cat in hell’s chance of winning silverware or CL football.

For right or wrong, they’ve chased ££££.

I don’t blame them one bit, if certain clubs act financially profligate.

Sorloth, Max Meyer, Ashley Williams, Sigurdsson, Moise Kean, Klaassen, Tosun found riches to set them up for life and some.

You missed out Ollie Watkins

Over-rated and over-paid

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
So if someone offered 3x your wages in your current job in a different company you will say no after 11 months employment. Okay…

Again, as I said earlier, that extra would make a huge difference, financially, but I would still consider where I'd have to move to - money is not 'everything', to me.
If you're talking Premier League wages, please tell me why you would move (assuming you're on £50K/week) just to earn......more? Surely, you don't need the 'extra'? You'd be happy to uproot and uproot again, just to earn even more?
I asked earlier, at what point would you stop chasing the £s, and be happy to stay where you are, when money is no longer much of an issue?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Think I saw him playing for Sunderland at the weekend

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

He was described as “lively” on TS on my way back from Norfolk.

Quite amusing listening to the build up, there’s no where more passionate apparently before drawing at home to Coventry

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Think about the context, why don't you? It makes a lot more difference than you seem to realise.

If you were on £20 - £30K a year, and you were offered £60 - £90K a year, that would be life changing, yeh, go for it, challenge and take on any down-sides re location, happiness, kids.

On £20 - £30K a week - happy, contented, like the job, like where you're living, wife/OH happy. kids settled, llife's a dream ........... well, what are you actually going to get that you don't have now? A more expensive house? You love the one you've got? A higher profile WAG (and say goodbye to seeing your kids regularly, because the old one won't take it lying down any more ..... so to speak)? A more expensive car? Why - will it go faster/be more comfortable/last longer than the Lexus or whatever you've got already?

OK, come on sell the dream to me .............. oh sorry, I forgot, I'm a PL footballer ..... I must need £100K a week .. errrm ...... will you be my agent please, and tell me just how the f*** I can spend it all? Drinks are on me at Shush.....................

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think about the context, why don't you? It makes a lot more difference than you seem to realise.

If you were on £20 - £30K a year, and you were offered £60 - £90K a year, that would be life changing, yeh, go for it, challenge and take on any down-sides re location, happiness, kids.

On £20 - £30K a week - happy, contented, like the job, like where you're living, wife/OH happy. kids settled, llife's a dream ........... well, what are you actually going to get that you don't have now? A more expensive house? You love the one you've got? A higher profile WAG (and say goodbye to seeing your kids regularly, because the old one won't take it lying down any more ..... so to speak)? A more expensive car? Why - will it go faster/be more comfortable/last longer than the Lexus or whatever you've got already?

OK, come on sell the dream to me .............. oh sorry, I forgot, I'm a PL footballer ..... I must need £100K a week .. errrm ...... will you be my agent please, and tell me just how the f*** I can spend it all? Drinks are on me at Shush.....................

I think you are in a very small minority.

He could get a career ending injury next season and on the salary here, he could probably live relatively comfortably however if he had the same injury on the better contract then more of his family are going to be secure.

Oh, and we're not playing in Europe!!! Also, he doesn't really have to move.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not true, I'm afraid - money (for me) is not the be-all and end-all of happiness (although it would be nice to have more!). In all honesty, if I was earning what the lowest player for the Albion was earning (in the Prem), I'd be very, very content to struggle along on a couple of million a year, for several years, have a fantastic work/life balance and still make provisions for my nearest and dearest.
As for Bloom's investment, that's a different issue entirely - this is about the (probable) move by Cucu.

If you were the kind of person who’d be happy to down anchor at Brighton (with bigger clubs after you ) then
you’re the kind of person who would lack the determination and ambition needed to become a premier league footballer. Premier league footballers are at the very top of a gigantic global business. They’re a different breed to you , i and pretty much everyone else who isn’t a world beater .
Money is only a part of it, albeit a significant part

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Again, as I said earlier, that extra would make a huge difference, financially, but I would still consider where I'd have to move to - money is not 'everything', to me.
If you're talking Premier League wages, please tell me why you would move (assuming you're on £50K/week) just to earn......more? Surely, you don't need the 'extra'? You'd be happy to uproot and uproot again, just to earn even more?
I asked earlier, at what point would you stop chasing the £s, and be happy to stay where you are, when money is no longer much of an issue?

Personally I would always be tempted by more money. At some point the money turns from "what can these pounds do for me" to "what can these pounds do to others?". Plenty of African and South American players are supporting entire villages, building hospitals and stuff, and if you want to do those things there is a big difference between £100k a week and £300k a week. Some players donate a lot of money to charities or social projects. Then of course, there's those who spend it all on luxuary etc as well.

Personally I'd be delighted to earn a million a year but if I had three millions a year I would start thinking about all the good I can do for the causes I care about. No idea about Marc Cucurella but I think the whole "its all about the money" thing is pretty over-simplified. Most players have more drives (such as the ambition to win every game or represent their nation) than money, and lots of players have altruistic ideas about what they want to do with their fame and money.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Not true, I'm afraid - money (for me) is not the be-all and end-all of happiness (although it would be nice to have more!). In all honesty, if I was earning what the lowest player for the Albion was earning (in the Prem), I'd be very, very content to struggle along on a couple of million a year, for several years, have a fantastic work/life balance and still make provisions for my nearest and dearest.
As for Bloom's investment, that's a different issue entirely - this is about the (probable) move by Cucu.

If you had to the attitude of being happy where you are with a work-life balance then you wouldn't succeed as a professional footballer. Its a hugely competitive environment and only a tiny percentage with the commitment and drive to succeed make the cut and an even smaller amount get to the position where they are involved in a transfer for £50 million quid! The reason they got there is that they want to be the best and reach the highest level they can, they keep pushing on and they are typically risk takers.

Blooms investment isn't a separate issue, you don't understand why anyone would want to earn more than £20 million but Blooms desire to accumulate more wealth than that enabled him to build us a stadium and has brought the football club all its success! Its a good job he didn't get to £20 Million, sell up and sit back isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here