[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Chelsea don't have that many Spanish players.

They have more than us. But there is also the lure of a big city, where there will 100% be communities of that nationality knocking about, much more so than in a city like Brighton.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
To a degree - but getting accustomed to a certain lifestyle, losing half to tax and then one or two bad investments and I expect it can go pretty quickly. Much easier to do it on 50 million. Particularly when it’s the choice between two places you have zero connection to.

If I were to win £10M on the lottery (let alone £20 - 50M), I'd consider it an abject failure if I was unable to provide for my children/grandchildren. I do get the zero connnection thing, but it does feel a kick in the teeth when he seemed to like it here, as well as winning PotS, with fans and players alike.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They have more than us. But there is also the lure of a big city, where there will 100% be communities of that nationality knocking about, much more so than in a city like Brighton.

I bet they don't have a Casa Don Carlos, though. :)

Yes, I do understand your point, but it's still (to me) alllllll about the money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'd have thought one of the attractions for Chelsea over City would be not needing to rush moving.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Interesting there's not one photo of him on the website today from their training session. 34 photos - not one of Cucu.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Bloody loads of Spanish people in Brighton

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Some might, some might not - it depends if you're happy to chase the money, or happy to earn a meagre 20 mill or so and enjoy where you're based. I said earlier, I'd move if someone offered to double my wages, but I wouldn't move to Croydon, even if they trebled them.
Horses for courses, etc.

Everyone would including you given the chance!

It's human nature and particularly for those that are driven to succeed. If it wasn't then Cucarella would probably have stayed at Getafe, its his home town and Im sure he was on enough money to survive. Why uproot the whole family for a few more million?! Thank god for people like that because without them we wouldn't have a team full of amazing talent from around the world, or a rich benefactor with the £100 million in his back pocket that we needed to build the Amex!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I were to win £10M on the lottery (let alone £20 - 50M), I'd consider it an abject failure if I was unable to provide for my children/grandchildren. I do get the zero connnection thing, but it does feel a kick in the teeth when he seemed to like it here, as well as winning PotS, with fans and players alike.

You don’t pay 50% tax on a lottery win.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair if you were offered a position at Man City ( therefore challenging for every cup going and the league) and 150k a week, you would be bonkers to not want that!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Everyone would including you given the chance!

It's human nature and particularly for those that are driven to succeed. If it wasn't then Cucarella would probably have stayed at Getafe, its his home town and Im sure he was on enough money to survive. Why uproot the whole family for a few more million?! Thank god for people like that because without them we wouldn't have a team full of amazing talent from around the world, or a rich benefactor with the £100 million in his back pocket that we needed to build the Amex!

Not true, I'm afraid - money (for me) is not the be-all and end-all of happiness (although it would be nice to have more!). In all honesty, if I was earning what the lowest player for the Albion was earning (in the Prem), I'd be very, very content to struggle along on a couple of million a year, for several years, have a fantastic work/life balance and still make provisions for my nearest and dearest.
As for Bloom's investment, that's a different issue entirely - this is about the (probable) move by Cucu.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whilst I kinda 'get' the attraction of doubling one's wages, I do struggle with the concept of moving clubs to secure one's future. Surely, most Premier League players will earn well in excess of £20M during their career - is this not enough? If I was happy in a club, I would be more than happy to stay, if I was earning "only" £50K per week, so it just seems (to me) that greed is the only motivation, and very little to do with securing their/the family's future.
Of course, for we lesser mortals, I would happily go elsewhere to double my wages, as even then, I doubt I would earn enough to retire early, but the sums involved for players are astronomical, even at the 'lower' end of the scale.
Maybe it's just me? :shrug:

No, its probably not just you.

But it really isn't all about the money. To become a player at this level you need to have exceptional drive, desire to win and becoming the best in the world. They want to win titles, get their names in the history books, become recognised as the best players in the world, and that's just not going to happen in Brighton. If TB offered him as much money as City/Chelsea would, I'm pretty sure he'd still want the move.

el punal

I bet they don't have a Casa Don Carlos, though. :)

Yes, I do understand your point, but it's still (to me) alllllll about the money.

Let’s put a hypothetical situation to you :

You work for a regional company. You’ve been there for just over twelve months and have been incredibly successful, hit all your targets and been recognised as employee of the year. Your progress has been noted by an international firm based in London. They are headhunting you to join them. They are offering you relocation expenses, a whopping salary increase, productivity bonuses and a clear path to promotion. The problem is you and your family love where you are at present and you certainly enjoy working for your current employer.

Be truthful and decide whether you stay or take on your new role. More to the point would anyone consider you disloyal if you accepted the offer?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, its probably not just you.

But it really isn't all about the money. To become a player at this level you need to have exceptional drive, desire to win and becoming the best in the world. They want to win titles, get their names in the history books, become recognised as the best players in the world, and that's just not going to happen in Brighton. If TB offered him as much money as City/Chelsea would, I'm pretty sure he'd still want the move.

Is the right answer.

The only people who don't are the odd ones, like Le Tissier (who turned out to be odder than most of us imagined at the time) and Vardy (albeit having won the EPL does take the edge off a desire to compete at the highest level - at trophyless Arsenal :lolol:)

Incidentally - Cucurella. Has he gone yet? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports