Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Let’s put a hypothetical situation to you :

You work for a regional company. You’ve been there for just over twelve months and have been incredibly successful, hit all your targets and been recognised as employee of the year. Your progress has been noted by an international firm based in London. They are headhunting you to join them. They are offering you relocation expenses, a whopping salary increase, productivity bonuses and a clear path to promotion. The problem is you and your family love where you are at present and you certainly enjoy working for your current employer.

Be truthful and decide whether you stay or take on your new role. More to the point would anyone consider you disloyal if you accepted the offer?

I will be truthful and state that it categorically depends on the sums (relative to me) would be involved. If my current wage of £30K/year could be doubled, I might well consider a move, but it would still depend on where I'd have to move to.
If my current wage was (for example) £50K/week, it would have to be somewhere very, very special to make me move away, as I would be earning a ridiculous sum already, by normal standards.
I'll ask you similar: At what point do you decide that you're earning 'enough', that you don't need to move, if you're happy where you are?

Last edited:

mike1901

May 12, 2017
This! Good luck to the guy. And good news for his family.

He came here. Gave everything on the pitch. Didn’t put a foot wrong.

Big clubs came hunting him and we’ve banked a sizeable amount of money.

Everyone’s happy.

I really hope he’s not booed when he plays here.
👍👍👍👍👍👍

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I will be truthful and state that it categorically depends on the sums (relative to me) would be involved. If my current wage of £30K/year could be doubled, I might well consider a move, but it would still depend on where I'd have to move to.
If my current wage was (for example) £50K/week, it would have to be somewhere very, very special to make me move away, as I would be earning a ridiculous sum by normal standards.
I'll ask you similar: At what point do you decide that you're earning 'enough', that you don't need to move, if you're happy where you are?

Most people are greedy , if they can double their salary however big is it , they will , especially if it is geographically acceptable to them . Even if the player isn’t greedy , the agent will be !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If my current wage was (for example) £50K/week, it would have to be somewhere very, very special to make me move away, as I would be earning a ridiculous sum by normal standards.

I never got paid to play football, but I moved to a few different teams to try and play at the highest level I could. I doubt I'd have seen it any different if I was a professional, especially if my money also doubled, and my chances for going for championships, Europe and silverware also did. He's been in England for 1 year, played himself into a big move. I really don't see what the issue is. Fair play to him, been overlooked most of his career, Brighton gave him a chance and he absolutely grabbed it and then some.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I never got paid to play football, but I moved to a few different teams to try and play at the highest level I could. I doubt I'd have seen it any different if I was a professional, especially if my money also doubled, and my chances for going for championships, Europe and silverware also did. He's been in England for 1 year, played himself into a big move. I really don't see what the issue is. Fair play to him, been overlooked most of his career, Brighton gave him a chance and he absolutely grabbed it and then some.

I guess I just see things slightly differently, and I'm also not blaming him, just expressing my disappointment in those that have such riches already, seek ever more riches, despite saying that they were happy to be where there were. It all rings hollow, to me.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Psychological studies of people with wealth or power consistently show that the thing that motivates them is to gain even more wealth and power than their peers.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If my current wage was (for example) £50K/week, it would have to be somewhere very, very special to make me move away, as I would be earning a ridiculous sum already, by normal standards.

If you’re dedicated enough to become a professional footballer , and ambitious enough to succeed in the premier league , then you don’t stay at Brighton ahead of a top six club.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Psychological studies of people with wealth or power consistently show that the thing that motivates them is to gain even more wealth and power than their peers.

A professional footballer wanting to play European football and double his salary, what a truly surprising occurrence! Marc has no real connection or affiliation to us and so naturally won’t feel the same emotions we would.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You work for a regional company. You’ve been there for just over twelve months and have been incredibly successful, hit all your targets and been recognised as employee of the year. Your progress has been noted by an international firm based in London. They are headhunting you to join them. They are offering you relocation expenses, a whopping salary increase, productivity bonuses and a clear path to promotion. The problem is you and your family love where you are at present and you certainly enjoy working for your current employer.

Be truthful and decide whether you stay or take on your new role. More to the point would anyone consider you disloyal if you accepted the offer?

You're not looking at real life though, are you. As a OAP (with a couple of modest employer-based additions to the national old age pension) I'm on about £15K a year. Own my own house, no mortgage and I'm tolerably comforortable (nowhere near getting all the No-Road-Tax allowances if I buy a lovely new car brigade!) but jogging along OK. Now I have as much - if not more - disposable income than I ever had in my workng life. Wages never (if ever) more than a K or two above £15K (plus the ex wife had a job) as we struggled to pay off the mortgage and raise three kids.
If anybody had offered me £20K a week back then (or less, taking inflation into account), but only on condition I would stick with that employer, even if I did a brilliat job and someone offered me twice as much to leave and go elsewhere, I'd have snapped your arm off!......and quite happily carried on 'making do' on £20K a week (even on a fixed term contract - at £20K a week I'd still have earned more in a year than in 40 years at £15K - and 2 or 3 years at £20K a week and I'd have well cleared any moans about paying more tax too!)
That, my friend is the real world; not the one inhabited - unfortunately - by PL footbalers.

Last edited:

el punal

Well put. To be honest I don’t know which option I would take. Perhaps if I was single with no ties I would plump for the bigger bucks, relocation gig. On the other hand if I had a family and everything was hunky dory maybe the process of losing that would sway me to stay put. Decisions, decisions eh!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
A professional footballer wanting to play European football and double his salary, what a truly surprising occurrence! Marc has no real connection or affiliation to us and so naturally won’t feel the same emotions we would.

Absolutely. Also worth noting that his current employers are true to their word and will not stand in the way of their employee IF their valuation for terminating his contract is met. BTW, how are Chelsea progressing with their eye-watering, north of £50m offer?

In answer to your question, I would stay where i am and keep a happy family. 😊 plus yes, my current employer would call me disloyal.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Well put. To be honest I don’t know which option I would take. Perhaps if I was single with no ties I would plump for the bigger bucks, relocation gig. On the other hand if I had a family and everything was hunky dory maybe the process of losing that would sway me to stay put. Decisions, decisions eh!

Personally, even if single, I would stay where I was (if happy to be there), as earning more bucks becomes meaningless at those levels.
This pursuit of riches is part of the many things that are just so wrong, imho. As a youth, I'd have been thrilled to have earned the average national wage, simply for doing something I enjoyed - playing football, rather than a normal job. The concept of being unhappy with £50K/similar per week is astonishing, no matter that your career might span just a decade.

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I love that some of us are having to explain to some of the others why a footballer would want to play at the highest level possible.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All this talk about doubling or tripling his wages, maybe he wants to play european cup football.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned on this very, very long thread....but life is way too short to worry about things I have no control over

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
In answer to your question, I would stay where i am and keep a happy family. [emoji4] plus yes, my current employer would call me disloyal.

You have to put this in the context of a short, possibly very short, career. Most people can expect 30/40 years of earning, though obviously at a much lower wage than top flight footballers.

These guys will be lucky to have much more than 5 years of earning top dollar and, if you really want to secure your family, you have to take your opportunities as they come.

The idea that these footballers “owe” their club more than a minimal level of loyalty is pretty silly in my view. They’re not fans they’re working for an employer……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I guess I just see things slightly differently, and I'm also not blaming him, just expressing my disappointment in those that have such riches already, seek ever more riches, despite saying that they were happy to be where there were. It all rings hollow, to me.

Football is cynical. We offload players if they don't make the grade. It's cut throat. How many youngsters get cut from the academy every year in every age group? It's brutal, absolutely brutal. When they get to the stage Cucurella's at, you take your opportunities to challenge for titles, silverware and I suspect a world cup squad with both hands.

I also don't see why the move makes him unhappy to have been here, on the contrary he's seemed really happy, but he's had a couple of great offers to play at the top end of the game.

Football is pretty hollow to be honest, to put that on Cucurella though I think is massively harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here