Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Whilst I kinda 'get' the attraction of doubling one's wages, I do struggle with the concept of moving clubs to secure one's future. Surely, most Premier League players will earn well in excess of £20M during their career - is this not enough? If I was happy in a club, I would be more than happy to stay, if I was earning "only" £50K per week, so it just seems (to me) that greed is the only motivation, and very little to do with securing their/the family's future.
Of course, for we lesser mortals, I would happily go elsewhere to double my wages, as even then, I doubt I would earn enough to retire early, but the sums involved for players are astronomical, even at the 'lower' end of the scale.
Maybe it's just me? :shrug:

It’s just a job at the end of the day. He has no connection to us before this year - when realistically he just came here for more money. He’ll do the same going to Chelsea. It’s a short career and fair enough earning as much as you can during it. Difference between earning 20m and 50m in a career means more chance your children and children’s children don’t ever have to worry about money. That’s before the considerations of winning trophies and playing in the champions league.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It really boils down to this.....

For whatever reason (probably professional and/or financial advancement), Cucurella has effectively gone.
I am so glad Tony Bloom undermined the sense of entitlement generated at Manchester City over the sale; even several City fans were uncomfortable with silly accusations that TB was 'game-playing' and 'greedy'.
But... from the moment Cucurella put in his transfer request we surely understood that it is 99% certain he will never play for the Albion again.
There are no great options but I think we must take the best deal on offer, thank Cucurella for his season with us, wish him well and move on without another thought about it....
We are a proper Club with an outstanding team at the helm. I think that's what we need always to remember.

Last edited:

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I did hear this morning Marc wasn’t at training and doesn’t appear in any of the pictures which is bit of a shame if this is how it pans out

I don't think we can necessarily read anything into that if it is true that he missed Sunday's match due to a "minor calf injury" (and I don't see GP as someone who would use such a specific lie when he could have used something more woolly / generic / evasive).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think you'll find that very few will boo him, a few numb nuts will but not many imo
Everyone knows football is basically panto, just like the time the Amex got on that fella’s back who signed for Norwich and not us (can’t remember his name). I would say you are more of a numbnut if you find a boo here and there distressing. We want our team to win can’t see an issue he doesn’t want to play for us anymore.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
With respect, if you can't manage to do that on a 'mere' £20M, you're doing something wrong.

It doesn't matter how much money someone earns, if you are likely to earn £20 million in your career for kicking a ball around and someone offers you £20 Million - £30 Million more to kick the same ball around, you are going to take it!!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Everyone knows football is basically panto, just like the time the Amex got on that fella’s back who signed for Norwich and not us (can’t remember his name). I would say you are more of a numbnut if you find a boo here and there distressing. We want our team to win can’t see an issue he doesn’t want to play for us anymore.

Oh no it isn't!

It was Alex Pricktard

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
With respect, if you can't manage to do that on a 'mere' £20M, you're doing something wrong.

To a degree - but getting accustomed to a certain lifestyle, losing half to tax and then one or two bad investments and I expect it can go pretty quickly. Much easier to do it on 50 million. Particularly when it’s the choice between two places you have zero connection to.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It doesn't matter how much money someone earns, if you are likely to earn £20 million in your career for kicking a ball around and someone offers you £20 Million - £30 Million more to kick the same ball around, you are going to take it!!

Some might, some might not - it depends if you're happy to chase the money, or happy to earn a meagre 20 mill or so and enjoy where you're based. I said earlier, I'd move if someone offered to double my wages, but I wouldn't move to Croydon, even if they trebled them.
Horses for courses, etc.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Aren't you forgetting that whether it's generated from football wages or something else wealthy people tend to have wealthy tastes and become accustomed to that life style? If Cucurella sustains a career ending injury in his first game for Chelsea he will have made the right choice for him and his family. With the wages paid today it's wishful thinking by us dedicated fans that players may have any real attachment or loyalty to a club that can't be trumped by money.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I will still love him where ever he goes.

He deserves big money, he is a quality player and I thought half way through last season he would fit like a glove in City's team. Shame it's Chelsea really.

No bitterness from me.

Me too.
Loved him while he was here. He gets CL football which he deserves, and we get 35m profit in a year

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Alex Pritchard.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Aren't you forgetting that whether it's generated from football wages or something else wealthy people tend to have wealthy tastes and become accustomed to that life style? If Cucurella sustains a career ending injury in his first game for Chelsea he will have made the right choice for him and his family. With the wages paid today it's wishful thinking by us dedicated fans that players may have any real attachment or loyalty to a club that can't be trumped by money.

Quite, and that's the disappointment - that the driving factor is ever more money, despite the vast sums already available.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

...booing may be satisfying in the short term but it can be quite painful when it comes back to bite you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDcNsbmr2Q

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

What makes you think I find it distressing? I find it moronic. Booing a player who turned off the motorway on his way to sign for us and went and signed for Norwich bears absolutely no comparison to booing a player who gave 100% all season and ended up player of the season. But you go ahead and boo him, there won't be many of you going all "panto" though imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here